Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Good Video!

Reminds me of the day in 1963 that a saw a new Galaxie parked next to the dealership building and wondering "Who ordered that thing and who is going to buy it?" The car was a '63 4 door hardtop, white with red bench seats, and the 427/425 engine. Turned out a friend bought it and removed the 427 emblems, what a sleeper!

I remember one Saturday night when I was riding around with Charlie Hampp in his '64 Flalcon Sprint. We pulled out of the Tastee Freeze along with the Galaxie and a speed contest ensued. We didn't notice the town cop sitting down the street. The Galaxie got away, but Charlie got caught and lost his license for the summer.

After a lot of years, he parked the car in the woods behind his house. Twenty years later everyone said he should drag it out and restore it. He did, drove it a few more years then sold it to a racer. I think the body is long gone now, but the engine is still around somewhere.

2. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Is there anywhere in the NE that runs these types at Nostalgia Drags?

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great shots! Great History!

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Capital Area Rods Nostalgia show and drags at Lebanon Valley,NY tomorrow,June 12.

5. Dog427435

Dog427435

6. Dog427435

Dog427435

7. Dog427435

Dog427435

8. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Neat article on the Golonka Brothers I/S 57.
    I'm guessing pictures of the car are from maybe 1969? The car looks to be sitting much higher (front and rear) than other 55-57 Jr Stockers were in the late 60's. No doubt their car worked well but what would be the reasoning for having it so high? (besides the fact it looks so tuff - which is not the likely reason). Or is it just something as simple as "it just plain works?"
    Paint scheme around wheel openings might be deceiving me a little bit but even the front end pic looks like the bumper is at least 2-3 inches higher than others. Beautiful car ....but just curious.

Eddie

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. It's a pity the guy had his "old Ford" sitting outside "in the woods in the weeds" for ten years before getting "smart" and putting it inside his garage.

Pete

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Eddie,

The only reason I can think of is for maximum weight transfer.

Pete

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

What's the deal with the hood scoop on Strickler's car? It's my first time seeing this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Dom, or anyone else, any info about this car? Sorry, I don't mean to go off-topic but I'd really like to know. Until now, I never knew Knoblock Dodge sponsored a race car(s)!

[​IMG]

Pete

13. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Pete,
    Once the big heads and 2x4 intake were added to OR#1 the white hood was added with the scoop. It was then in OS/S and was allowed. The hood was originally green from another car, then modified. That's the way the tribute car has been done. A little while later, red lettering was added to the side of the scoop. Pretty sure it said "Super Scooper".
    Both Darwin and Jenkins recently had a look at the car with nods of approval...:)
    Verne

14. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Okay Pete, how do you "supersize" the pictures for posting? I've got some more but would like to post them in something other than a thumbnail.

15. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Someone's Old Reliable 62 in a smaller size until Pete passes on the needed magic...... I don't believe this is a Strickler car.

Attached Files:

16. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Love that 58(?) Black Mopar posted above!

Any more pics, info or articles on it?

Eddie

17. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete.

On the trunk deck lid of the 58' Plymouth, is lettered 'Car In Tow'.
    Just what the hell had enough torque to pull that beast to the track in
    the San Antonio, Texas heat.............???

With a radio delete, you could save a good 50 lbs.
    Those 58' AM radios and dog speakers were heavy.

Notice the 'Magnum 500' wheels.
    They weren't options in 1958, were they...........HEE HEE

Also, Knolback Dodge like to race at Aquasco, Maryland.
    Good S/S events back then..

pc

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Isnt that black Plymouth a 1960 ? Look at the front fender crease coming down from the headlights.

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

That picture looks like Capitol Raceway. Capitol hasn't changed much in a very long time.

20. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Your probably right. Thats why I put 58(?) in my post as I haven't seen them often enough over the years to become proficient in the 57-60 Plymouth/Dodge models.
    I like 'em!

Eddie

21. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Quote: The special "D" Darts were produced in 1966. Chrysler made 75 of them that ran F stock. They really would not cut it against the 283 chevy combos. I had one brand new from Knoblock Dodge in South River NJ.
    I built a forged true motor for it because it wouldn't run faster than a 13.70/97.01 in the 1/4 . The forged true motor ran a best of 13.59/98.67!! If I remember correctly you had to be in the 13.20"s to be competitive. As some of you know I am not exactly what you would call a "jockey size" driver. Now you are weighed with the car, back then it was car weight and whatever the driver weighed was your problem.
    This car would not fall out of a tree.
    If you tried to drop it down a mine shaft it probably would have gone up.
    It came from the factory with 273 cubic in/235 HP and had a Holley 4BBL, 4.89 gears ,Hooker headers, 4 speed with Hurst shifter. You could get any color you wanted as long as it was white with a red interior. Cost me $ 3600.00
    If I can ever get my scanner to work I have many pictures to post of this car and others I took at various tracks. I am really computer illiterate when it comes to doing anything other than typing.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    BTW: In 1966 The "D" Dart ran D/Stock hence the name D Dart. It was 275 horsepower not 235. Had a Racer Brown cam and Hooker headers. Used a Holley 4160 Carb on a stock intake. Weber clutch and A 833 4 speed. Not very competitive though...

Attached Files:

22. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Guys and Gals, Well I had a GREAT time at the Nostalgia event at Cecil County on Saturday 6-11-11. I had some fun and some frustrations----the weather was brutally hot and thick and I'm still fighting a "gremlin" (not the AMC kind) in my W31. The motor makes all kinds of power, but after dumping the clutch, the car leaves REAL hard and DIES!!! I'm not upset, as this time around the racing is only for fun, but I still need to find out what's going on. I'm thinking ignition advance issues or a lack of fuel volume. It also really needs some more gear but that isn't going to happen any time soon 'cause I'm in the process of doing a frame-off on another Olds. I'll probably be attending some Wednesday night Test and Tunes with my good friend Wayne Shipley who is more than willing (actually enthusiastic) to pitch in and lend a helping hand----he is a MASTER with Oldsmobiles. I will be sure to keep everyone informed of my progress. Until next time..... Dave. P.S. York is right around the corner guys, mark your calendars.

23. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

how was the crowrd??

24. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I'd say the turn-out was good. A good selection of race cars, show cars, and spectators. The vendor area however, was kinda sparce. The track surface was slippery and most of my buddies (like myself) were complaining about the lack of traction. This was my first time at this event and the third year it has been run.

25. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Did you extend the carb vet tube with some fuel line hose or some other tubing? :confused: The Q Jets were bad for sloshing gas out of the vent and into the venturi when launched hard. Just a suggestion as I dont know your set up.

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dave - your gremlin is undoubtedly in your carburetor. Wit good hard launches the carb overflows internally and floods your engine momentarily and the recovers. ( My diagnosis is, of course, thinking that you DO NOT have a fuel delivery problem?) If you got a good strong elec pump delivering at least 7 psi to carb and plenty of gas in the tank). Its not an ignition problem if the car runs OK the rest of the way! Get a good Q-jet guy to fix the gremlin in your carb! Just MOO
    Tweed

27. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Dave contact dan ashley-765-674-5101 in marion,indiana.
    Chuck norton and many other long time q jet racers will tell you danny is one of the best q-jet builders and a truly good guy!!
    If any problems contacting him ,please advise.

28. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,

It is a 60' Plymouth Savoy (Club Sedan)
    X-Tech Man is correct.
    The front fender crease is the give-away.
    Last year for the famous 'whale-tail' or 'fins'.
    Suprisingly, not that heavy at #3329 lbs.
    Car looks heavier.

OK, in 1967 that car with the 361/310 HP Ram/dual-quad intake
    and twin Carter 500 cfm carburetors.
    Engine called the 'Sonoramic Commando'.
    wt/hp = 10.74
    In 1967, that combination ran in C/SA.
    In 1968, F/SA.

That combination for some reason was quite popular and successful in
    the southwest (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri).
    As that area was loaded with old Plymouth's.
    Also northern Ohio and western Pennysylvania.

Just for a 'fun fact'
    At the 1961 Nationals, Ray Christian ran a 60' Plymouth Fury with a
    383/330 HP long-ram and won Stock Eliminator in A/SA.
    Cruised in at 14.24 @ 98.90.

Paul

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  29. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Q-Jets are well known for stumbling when launching....

Air valve adjustment and accelerator pump can both cause this problem as well as a couple other things....

I raced a lot with them and they can give you a headache.....LOL

30. HPB43

HPB43

The most common cause of a severe BOG with a quadrajet is the air valve spring being improperly adjusted. If the spring is too loose the air valve opens wide open too soon and the result is a mixture that is so lean that the engine almost quits running.

We had to use a Quadrajet on our SS/ES Camaro and it was always a job keeping the air valve adjusted properly.

The other problem with the Quadrajet is that the accelerator pump is not really big enough to deliver the shot of fuel that you need to launch the car. The pump doesn't usually cause the big bog however.

Herb