Register now to get rid of these ads!

General consensus/opinion on a '37, '38 or a '39 Chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham M, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hi guys, I've been scowering Ebay for sometime watching these years, and I just thought I'd ask here if the '39's seem to be the most desirable. It seems like the '39's warrant a near double or triple in price over the '38's, and even the '37's, for much the same truck (condition & completion wise).

Why is that? Ive been after a '38 1/2 ton for myself, but have a '37 and '39 at a farm quite close to me in decent shape. What is the most desirable year to choose?

Any rarity factors or anything else I'm not noticing?

Just wondering of the reasoning behind the buying/pricing trends. Or what everybodies general opinion is for these years.

Thanks a ton for reading this and offering any opinions or advise towards this. :)

2. sawzall

sawzall

cant you make a 37 into a 38 with the correct front clip?
    I thought that 39 and 40 are by themselves?

I have always liked the look of a 40 but doubt I'll ever have one.. to many fords in line ahead of it!

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's confusing... I always thought the '37 was the preimium...

4. badshifter

badshifter

Fords yes. Chevies no.
    What's missing is info on what the OP likes best? Are you building a hot rod or speculating on future pricing for an investment?

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

37 would be my choice too.
    But I think the 37 Chevy cars and trucks were very pretty.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, I really was talking about Chevy trucks! I have always prefered the '38 myself, and it always seems when I start looking, the '37 is the more expensive of the two. I personally wouldn't go looking for a '39, so I don't include them in my thought process. Just don't like the '39 '40 body style. They got me back though with '41 - '46 trucks though. As badshifter says though, it really depends on what YOU want, not what we think is cool. If you are looking at investment value, I'd look at a different vehicle all together, as these seem to still be a lesser popular, lower dollar truck.

7. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

To the 2nd poster, yes you can make a '37 into a '38 and vice versa, just with the front clip.

I like the '38's myself, (there was one by my dads farm that I *ALWAYS* wanted as a kid, but now its gone, trying to find another one, but thats kind of hard.)
    The '39's arent hard too hard to find, but you know the feeling of a car/truck not being quite what you want. ;)
    For me? just for myself. While these are definitely classic trucks, they dont offer the same league of interest as would (lets say) a '32-34 Ford as an example. So I dont view these as investments at all.

Just interesting, there are a few really nice '39 Chevy 1/2 tons on ebay right now, with a bid price far greater then any '37 or '38's I've seen; that are in much better shape or just nicer units.

Just curious as to what gives.. sure is an odd trend.