Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hawaiian Roadster Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky444, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Lucky444

Lucky444

This 32 Roadster was originally built here on Oahu around 1951-52 by a Robert "Longie" Gandall. Robert owned a motorcycle shop in Honolulu and was active in the drag racing scene out in Kahuku. The early part of the Roadsters history is shrouded in mystery and it's unclear whether this was a true garage build or that some of the work had been farmed out to different shops. It does appear that maybe two or more people had their hands in the fabrication work. Parts of this car were published in the 1953 and 1954 issues of Rod & Custom Magazine in articles that focused on headlight and taillight modifications, but a full feature on the car was never covered.

It was passed around to different owners in the following few years and in 1958 or 1959 the car was then bought for a Richard Armstrong, by his father for $650. Richard was only a Junior in High School when he received the car as a gift. He drove the Roadster around town for several years and finally garaged it when he was fed up with getting speeding tickets.

The car sat in storage until 2009 when my buddy John Figueroa was lucky enough to pick it up from Richard. The Roadster could not have landed in better hands as John is a true traditional builder and has grown up messing with all kinds of old tin. His father had also been building Hot Rods and Customs from the pre-war years. In fact John remembers sitting in this very Roadster when he was a young kid!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

That thing is WICKED, I love it !

3. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

the way the front fenders sit look very sexxy! ,,gives it an almost high end manufature/coach built look..bet it was real PURDDY back in its glory days!

4. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here are some images from the Rod & Custom features.

Attached Files:

Stogy and Nailhead A-V8 like this.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Damn that's nice, the tail lights are sweet!

6. Lucky444

Lucky444

Real purdy!

A lot of the early Hot Rod builds that I've seen from Hawaii have a lot of attention to body work like a coach build and with the severe channelling and full fenders, have an almost European Sports Car look to them.

Stogy likes this.
  7. really sits nice!!

8. ratster

ratster

cool car! looks lie the chassis is already restored

9. Now that's cool! Love the stance!

10. billylo

billylo

Wow, I love it!

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

way too cool. great that it's seeing the light of day again!

12. Curt Six

Curt Six

Very cool car...glad it landed in the right hands.

13. Lucky444

Lucky444

All the sheetmetal and top is original to the car from 1951-52. The side window curtains are priceless! If you look closely at the hood you'll see some very unique louver application as well.

Unfortunately the original suspension and drive train were too far gone from the island elements to restore. For replacements, John has used only parts that will keep it true to the way it was.

Attached Files:

• Top.jpg
      Top.jpg
      File size:
      110.8 KB
      Views:
    Stogy likes this.
  14. rockguy92

rockguy92

Nice find Lucky. I don't ever remember seeing 50 Ford tail lights used on a 32. Nice touch.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, very Kool-Thanks for sharing-going to restore, as much as possible, or change some things? Aloha

16. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

This car has a great look. Thanks for the pics.

17. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

that is an awesome find. looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Holy cow, I love that thing. Very nice.

19. slammed

slammed

Art Deco Hot Rod. Is a sweet look, someone is lucky to own it!

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats pretty cool! Will it be at any shows that you know of Jason? I wanna see that in person!

21. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

its almost like there was a hawaiian style going on, Im sure ive seen at least three 32s on here done in a very similar deep channel with fenders still on look..anyone remember the others?

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

WOWWW!!! thats gorgeous ..I'd give my left nut for that cool little roadster!!

23. Yep, seems to of been the trend back then. There is a Hawaiian hot rod club feature in a early 50s HOT ROD mag, most if not all the cars were channelled (I have remember which issue).

[​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523523&highlight=hawaiian+1932+roadster

[​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211452&highlight=survivor+32+roadster

Stogy likes this.
  24. I like channeled Deuces... J. Stimac had a coupe that was channeled and full fendered with the running boards and it looked outstanding and I think this will be very cool when finished.

Any photo's of this car when it was show worthy?

Stogy likes this.
  25. Lucky444

Lucky444

The car will remain basically as you see it now. The new owner is planning on just getting it up and drivable and retaining as much of the original car as he can. There's still a lot of the original red lacquer paint on there from 51-52.

Hey Eli, thought I saw you at the Aiea Autoswap this morning, but was talking to someone and didn't see you later. It will definitely be on the cruise when it gets rolling.

I think there was a very definite and distinctive "Hawaiian Style" from what I've seen. The other two pics that Jimmy B posted are a good illustration of that. Most of the time, the fenders would be moulded to the body, but the 32 Roadster still has them bolted on. A lot of effort was put into moving the fender molding along with the fenders up on the channelled body though.

Glad you guys are liking this survivor car. I will post more pics as I get them.

Stogy likes this.
  26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup, I was looking for some wheels for my F1 but no luck. Looks like I'm stuck with the darn Centerlines for now. Looking forward to checking out this survivor in person. It looks like lots of hard work went into it.

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I like the look of the op's channeled roadster. The fenders are perfect for the car. You don't see to many people channeling 32's these days, heck two of my friends just unchanneled 32s.

Here is mine, customized in 51-52 not as cool as the others but I like her. Mine is not a Hawaii car it's a CO car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  28. History I love it.

29. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn that car is cool. Can't wait to see it in person. You'll have to get him up to the North Shore with it when we come back. Cruise Paradise maybe? I'm sure alot of the old guys would freak out if that thing drove into the show.

Keep us posted on progress.

30. pumpman

pumpman

Sweet, nice to know it's in safe hands.