Register now to get rid of these ads!

Devalue or stay the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaceEdward, Jun 9, 2011.

1. JaceEdward

JaceEdward

Does radiusing the rear fender of a 55 chevy de-value the car?

2. To purist and if it is done by a butcher. Are you going for the American Graffiti look?

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

4. of course it does, but it also is a mod that can be fixed with very little issues.

5. squirrel

squirrel

It might, when the current fad runs out....

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

depends on how the rest of the car is built. if it is already an "axled" gasser style car it would make no difference.

a primo convertible would knock the price down by a couple grand at least. what kind of goofy question is that???

7. Yes, but are you building a hot rod or an IRA portfolio?

8. JaceEdward

JaceEdward

I am building a i beam axle hot rod. 210 2 door post. if i did go ahead and cut them out and applied a lip, how hard would it be to fix them afterwards. and how much would it devalue the car if i left them cut.

9. squirrel

squirrel

It's impossible to say. As they said, it depends on how well it's done, and how it fits with the rest of the car, and how much the car is worth altogether.

Anything made of steel can be fixed, but it is a lot of work to fix it so you can't tell it had been done. You have to finish the inside as well as the outside.

10. F&J

F&J

If the car is sold with a straight axle, I can't see the radiused openings being a minus. So, why fix it, if it has a straight axle?

It would be a pain to get it welded up and not warped to heck. Then major amout of block sanding, etc

11. TomWar

TomWar

I had my 26T/ Chrysler with Automatic trans at a small show, and a woman asked me if the Automatic trans devalued the car!! I said DUH, I don't think so!!

12. what he said

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

It depends on your point of view. To a auto restoration purist, any modification is heresy and the perpetrator should be flogged with an NOS fanbelt (correctly date coded, of course). To most of the crew on this board, it's a matter of personal taste ... we may not like it, but figure that we don't have to live with it and the next owner can fix it. In the meantime, we'll just make snotty comments about it or think that we could have done it better! :D

14. Fenders

Fenders

Who the hell cares? Does chopping a '32 devalue the car? If it's your car, do what you want.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Don't worry about it, the next owner can do what he wants. Your car your money. Enjoy it.

16. When I got my 55 it was a stock bodied car with a Big Block and in Primer. I paid $3,000 for it. I radiused the wheel wells, took the front bumper off, re shot it in Flatish Black, did a simple interior and a roll bar and put some 5 spokes (Torque Thrust ) on it. Sold it for $27,000 - I think it added to the value!

17. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can radius and add a lip to the wheel well, you should at least have an idea of what it would take to put it back the way it was.. If you don't, then put the cutting tools down!

18. plumpcars

plumpcars

I modified my 55 for me not for anybody else. I put a radius into some perfect rear quarters and took some verbal abuse for it but it's the way I want the car. Mine is not in a currently fashionable 'gasser' style but bears more resemblance to a late sixties street racer. In terms of value I would say that it may affect things for the purist but over here in Europe any well built 55 still has a high value.
    You need to build it because you love it not because it's worth $xxxx.

19. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

who cares, its your car, make it look however you want. if it knocks the value down a little its only money, it grows back.

20. Muttley

Muttley

Sure it will in some peoples eyes. As far as I'm concerned you are just fixing the factorys mistake, they should have come that way off the assembely line.

21. dadseh

dadseh

anybody ever 'un-chop' a 3 window to improve its selling price?
    next question?????

22. don't do it those '55 chevies are rare......:rolleyes:

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Hasn't happened in the last 50-60 years so I wouldn't worry about the radiused openings going out of style. They NEED radiused IMO. Or put Nomad openings in, I always like that touch but you don't see it much.

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Not to me, but then that's just me.

Come to the dark side...

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Fads come and go. Do what you want at this time. If you want a 60s era 55 try to make the rest of the details match the era. Done well a 60s era 55 with radiused wheel wells will command plenty of cash. Radiused wheel wells pretty much lock you into the 60s gasser look era. If that is what you want stick with it.

I think back about all the 63-67 Corvettes that had the custom wheel well flares installed in the 60s. Most have been restored by now but they were the hot lick back then.

26. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

radius some aftermarket quarter-panels, weld them on and keep the originals original.

27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Its your car .I would , but do it clean & take your time .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

28. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

I dont understand the logic. youre either doing something to a car because its the car you always wanted, in which case, why would you be thinking of selling it, or its not the car you want, and youre just restoring it to sell it, in which case altering a car is way going to de value it because who wants to have to un do all that work.
    also why waste the money on it?

29. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

And here I thought a Devalue was a French car from the '30s. Silly me. I think that a Nomad style fender opening would be very cool but there's nothing wrong with radiusing. Just don't let the tires stick out past the body sides. Back in the day that only showed you were too lazy to do it properly. That hasn't changed, imho.

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods