Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Yesterday Hugo told me Thor will be sporting shiney burgunday paint when he leave here :):):)

Got the other rear door rehung with the rear corner rounded to match the other side and started to fit the trunk. Still need to work on the rear bumper apron and then it will be the time to put a new helmet on Thor :cool:

Attached Files:

2. chopped four door your almost ther do it!

Attached Files:

3. Looking good Hugo, stay strong brotha!

4. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

WOW from where you started to where you are now is quite a bit different!!! The merc looks like it was thrown together through the years before you got her. At this point it would have been better to build a new one but at least this one was saved from what the past builders have done.

5. low merc51

low merc51

Looking good !!!!!!!!!!

6. Sprout

Sprout

making great progress, love the dash I'm going to have to steal that idea for my Merc

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I disagree! This way he saves two lives, the cars and anyone else who may have gotten hurt in the Merc the way it was!

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its great to see Thor rise up again :D So how much is the new chop gonna be???

9. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

That will be a great looking color and give it a classy look as well. EXK, the work you are doing sure is inspiring. Can't wait to see Thor all in one piece painted.:)

10. daddio211

daddio211

Maybe instead of Thor it should be called The Phoenix.

11. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Good idea.

12. Lets see if I can put this all into words. First of all the progress is evident in the photos.

Second the support that is so obvious from your fans here on this thread makes one nearly misty. Who says guys don't have feelings, we just feel for objects that can't help themselves.

Third, finding a builder that has the heart to guide his customer along fairly and encouragingly, even willing enough to take the time to log his own progress and post pictures on the customers thread, hiding nothing in the process. PRICELESS!

Hope that came through the way it is meant. This car will be tremendulousantastically prime material when done.

Doug.

The work ethic debated within still goes on unfortunately. I was under the dash of a car that has had some rust "repaired" recently and not to the original extent Thor was, mind you but, a few holes around a windshield and back window on an otherwise perfect car and I could see the squeeze on the underside where the holes where just filled with mud. Shamefully nice car too. Be carefull out there. Get impartial opinions before you buy.

13. HRod 50

HRod 50

Pensive ( Doug ), I really thank you, and I'm sure my guy EXK (Rick) does as well.

I know because of peoples lives being busy they probably don't have the time, and most cases, desire to develop a relationship with their builders (a lot of people think they are secret millionares). It is a shame because it is an amazing part in the building of a car. This car has trully been an epic life's journey for me. Its the most invovled project I have ever undertaken as well as the most costly. Finding the right builder has kept me motivated, and if it wasn't for Rick's knowledge, work ethic, and honesty. I probably would have just walked out of his shop with a new tank, and air bag suspension that I took my car there originally for. What seems to happen to most guys building cars or having them built is the loss of motivation, and if you have an opportunity to see the progress and understand the work that goes into what is being done, you can not help but develop a kin ship with the car, the builder, and the entire experience... I love this car and can't wait for my first cruise down Sunset Boulevard....

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Awesome attitude !! I thinks lots of us are equally looking forward to your first cruise....but we will enjoy the pics of Ricks work in the meantime :D

15. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Any updates on Thor this week? He's getting close and we are anxious to see him out and about.

16. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Hugo...Rick......How's it going?

17. desotot

desotot

well, this is quite a thread, lots of opinions,and opinions are like belly buttons [or exhaust ports ] everybody has one, you said you didn't know much about cars, bet you know lots more now,obviously you fit in fairly good cause you have the bug, a merc is not a bad car to get stuck with, and one lesson that we've all learned in our experiences is that a hot rod is never finished, and that applys to sleds as well.

18. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Just a bump checking to see if there is any more progress.

19. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

its weird seeing this car now even though i remember posting on it when you first got it.

20. Heres a little update. I finally got another build at a good stopping point mid last week so i started to install the new top. I am doing this chop a little different as i want it to stand out from the norm. I am cutting 4" out up front but will be taken about 5" in the rear. I am also going to keep the rear door window opening long just like orginal as it will have a working rear vent window. I also plan to reprofile the top side of the rear door to make it look more like the profile of a 2dr rear window. Sorry for the bad pics as my shop camara has seen better days.

Attached Files:

21. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

wow, Rick...looks nice!

22. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

He's getting there. Thanks for the update Rick.

23. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Awsome merk, My dad has a four door, Here is a pic

Attached Files:

24. WhatsaMerk?:eek:

25. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

merc, Is that better?

Attached Files:

26. no it wants to save it to the computer.

27. HRod 50

HRod 50

I am freakin GUSHING!!!!! Rick, is a Master Builder, and I hope the more the people follow this thread the more he will get the recognition he deserves.. Thank You Rick...

Thor is looking awesome..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  28. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Great job! Im really interested in the way you guys will chop this top...I have a 4doors and liked very much some stuff I saw around here...Just great!

29. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Really curious to see how you do the front window glass. Please take a bunch of pictures. Thanks.