Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. eddie1

eddie1

Well said & to the point. I could not agree more!

2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

That video is a truly great compilation of all the things it means to be a HAMBer. I personally love the havoc on the track with the old column shifters and controlled slides.

Whatever, its just your reputation.

3. Ryan

hey Janet is my big sister's name. :D

I knew the fellas that produced an E zine back in the '90s that got a poison pen letter from a well respected journalist. Its a shame when a grown man is so insecure that they feel challenged enough to bad mouth what they deem as competition.

I personally feel pretty much the same way about the journal as you do and it isn't my child. You keep on keepin' on my young friend.

Now if you don't mind I would like to get you into hot water just one more time.

So to the Janet in question in the words of a very famous albeit fictitious Texan, "Kiss my grits !!!"

4. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Dear Janet...

Your comments define you as an individual with misdirected anger and a false sense of entitlement. I can only hope you do not directly influence one of these publications for the sake of your peers lively hoods as well.

Also, check with HR to see if they provide therepy coverage to help you embrace that which you have nor ever had control over.

And oh, in the mean time, please discontinue kicking puppies and small children also...

5. warrick

warrick

i thaught it was started(hot rodding in general)by people talking and building ideas into there cars, and the magazines were made to make money off hot rodding.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

I stand corrected, then.
    Any thoughts on the Red Camaro?
    I will also say that the last one was dull Green:rolleyes:

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Screamin' Yellow Zonkers were just a touch better......:D

8. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

the magazines are mostly run by car guys I hope .But they are owned by corporations.They dont like what they cant own or control.they cant see any way to control hamb or dictate to it or most importantly to them ,make money out of it so theynow need to stop you eating into their profits.No doubt their legal depts are watching you real close LOVE THE H.A.M.B

9. RF

RF

There are no Janets on staff here--at least not in the last few years. As for your MIA issues, PM me some more specifics and I'll try my best to get you squared away before the hokey-ass padlocks get slapped on our office doors.

10. Ryan... I thank you daily for creating and operating the HAMB. I am an alliance member and buy merchandise from you primarily to ensure I do my part to keep the HAMB going.

Thank You!

As for the magazine world....
    It sounds like the last, angry gasps from a dying industry.
    I do not see any practical way for a print magazine to compete with what you have here.
    The tech articles on the HAMB have longer descriptions and far more pictures than any magazine can afford to print. And we can all add to the discussion with both elaborations and alternative methods. Indeed, we can ask questions and get timely responses.

Additionally, the tech archive essentially gives us all access to every back issue in an easily searchable database.

There is no way a print magazine can compete with that!

Keep up the GREAT WORK!
    Thanks again,
    Gregger

PS: I always get a quite smile when someone creates a new way of doing something and then those who have been doing it the old way accuse them of steeling their idea. I don't believe any of the magazines in print today 'invented' the 'editorial' nor the 'how to article', even if they were the first to apply them to the automobile (Which I suspect they were not)

11. Kramer

Kramer

We are fortunate to live in a free country that allows us the right to compete. If they can't make it with the competition they have maybe they need to rethink things, or get out. Obviously this site is what a lot of people are looking for.

12. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

13. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

I'm a seasoned veteran in the world of print. Hundreds of published stories over the course of three decades, and it treated me better than I deserved. BUT, print is dead, and actually has been for a long, long time. We've been poking at its corpse for the last 30 years hoping it would suddenly sit up and begin spitting out some of that magic that fueled our culture through the 50's 60's and 70's. Instead it just sits there and decays. Time to throw dirt on its face and move on.
    Ryan, the HAMB is probably the single greatest entity for uniting our culture that has ever existed...and I mean that in all sincerity. Yes, large segments of the world of Hot Rodding are excluded..labeled as "O/T"..and this includes many things that I am personally interested in. But, the enormous wealth of knowledge, history and connection found here is simply amazing, and I would just like to personally thank you for it.
    Janet and her type are done. Long live The HAMB!

14. Correct me if I am wrong, but if it wasn't for people like ourselves the Hot Rod & Car/Truck Enthusiast of the past, the present and the future, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, and Rod & Custom Magazines and any other car/truck magazine wouldn't be here.
    So it seems that WE the Hot Rod & Car/Truck Enthusiast created this world for you Janet and Hot Rod, Street Rodder, and Rod & Custom Magazines"

15. That was a great video!

16. The Gambler

The Gambler

I've learned more off the HAMB than any mag..."if you cant take the HEAT...."

17. VonDad

VonDad

As you can see by my post count, I don't post much. But that doesn't mean I don't read. I would rather read the HAMB than most of the magazines out there.

Many of the main stream ones are about advertising. Fine, keeps em going and whatever. But the HAMB don't gots any, and even if they did I'd still read it just as I do now.

I'm 58 and was corrupted before the HAMB ever existed. So Janet, if you get nothing else from this entire thread, you were WRONG! Dumbass...

I'm done now.
    VonDad

18. the Hamb isn't perfect in all ways, but how could one expect it to be? Take Billetproof for example....alot of nice hotrods and customs that roll through the gates every year, but along with, without fail, a few poor specimens sneak in. But, in both cases..the Hamb and Billetproof, the poor specimens don't spoil the lot. Noone will ever agree on any one thing....and that's good. If it were up to me, there'd be discussion and postings limited to 1930's-50's hotrods only, with 1953 being the cutoff. Now that's not going to work for alot of folks, and that's why the Hamb works. It's like a big KOA campground where we can all drive in our heaps and meet around the campfire....finding a common ground. I can think of a few reasons why the big magazines feel threatened by the Hamb, and probably why you got a nasty-gram.....all of which make the Hamb thrive, and the magazine world as it was, fade away....
    1. The hamb is personal. Magazines are not, at least not in the capacity that the hamb is, and they never will be. example: i've made lifelong friends here, gotten a job through hamb network, found a place to live, shared my sorrows, and recieved support. NO magazine can put that on the table.
    2. The magazines, and i won't name names (Streetrodder), have made ALOT of money feeding the industry in a certain direction, and for a long time, that direction meant that guys like me could never be a part, because I couldn't afford it to keep up with them and their gold-chainer shit...and that brings me to the second part of this...that industry that they fed went way out in left field for alot of us. UGLY BILLET. UGLY PAINTJOBS. hawaiian shirts/rolex/denim shorts...... Ughh. The Hamb blows this all apart, and has re-directed the industry towards what WE want, not what a select few in high places think is the next big thing. We have taken the podium as collective whole and forced the few wet diapers out. Sorry guys.
    3. the Hamb connects those who want to learn with those who want to show the way. Never in history have we been so fortunate and had such a vast resource available to us in seconds. The magazines are not in the loop, and that puts them out in the cold. Sure, there are great magazine tech articles, but there's always that one thing you didn't quite understand, or the half ass picture where you can't see what they did, and you are stumped. That's not a problem here....we can read a tech post, but then we can ask further, and further, and further.
    No wonder they are upset Ryan. I hope you don't lose any sleep over it, they're just sore that their glory days are gone.

19. I just checked out this thread.

I dig the video! Well put, Boss!

I love the HAMB, I come in, I go out. I met many fine people here, have respect for many, many more...

Go fast, go straight or turn left but, go fast! or It's not how fast you go, it's how good you look gettin' there!

That's why this place is so great to me, that's all...

Joel

20. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

If it isn't too late to comment....

With the print publications, there isn't any feedback other than a letter to the editor, a phone call to the journalist or similar action.

With this wonderfully open and educational and entertaining forum(I love the pics!) there can be instantaneous feedback and discussion through a thread or pm. That is priceless and, I have read, has lead to one of the very best things this life has to offer: FRIENDSHIP.

I have recently began the planning stages of a project to undertake with my 13 yr. old.
    This site deserves full credit for nurturing and growing that idea. And for the passion I hope to instill in a young man that will carry forward to future generations(of our family, at least)

I apologize if I've rambled or if it seem I might just be blowing smoke.
    But, I think you need to be thanked, publicly, for this great forum, Ryan.
    Thank you.

21. BELLM

BELLM

Thanks to this horrible place that is ruining hot rodding I have met several hundred people that I consider to be good friends, including you & Marcie, that I would have never met if not for this place. Growing up in very poor in rural Central Texas in the 50s and very early 60s I can only recall seeing a couple of hot rods around. Started subscribing to Hot Rod around '62, opened up a whole new world. Built my first at 15 patterned on what I saw & read in Hot Rod. Early magazines spread the gospel, learned a lot from them. I have a large magazine collection going back to the early '50s up thru this month, I still subscribe to 3 or 4 because they are seventy five cents or less with a 3 yr subscription, and treasure every Rodders Journal I get, but todays corporate dictated car rags seem to only push their big advertisers products, A build sheet in Street Rodder is a list of their advertisers, over & over again. I would love to see Joes Junkyard listed as the source in a Street Rodder build sheet. But there is hope as I seem to see more and more HAMBers cars in the magazines also. Thanks for having this place for, as I heard that a motel night manager in Joplin during a particularlly fun night said, "your people"!

22. jdanielshea

jdanielshea
    from Denton, TX

Ryan,
    I've only been here for a short while, but in that time I've gotten more info and more help from all of the other members than I could ever expect to get out a car mag. Many venues and formats of communication are changing and changing fast. The "traditional" formats, car mags, thought they were the "gatekeepers" of our industry. And yes, they did help many business grow, but "the times they are a changing" and though they may not like it, they better get used to it!
    Us Rodders, we are a resourceful and independent group of folks. We never have allowed someone to tell us how or what we should be. By the nature of what we do it is evident that we will create, define and evolve. Then re-create, re-define and re-evolve (maybe devolve). That's what make this hobby/sport fun and it's what makes H.A.M.B. so good. It is the members that make H.A.M.B. not the other way around.
    Thanks for the venue!
    Dan

23. Thanks
    Loved the video and this site.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome to the biggest circle jerk, reach around thread ever crafted.

Hamb is awesome, this thread however, sucks the big juan.

25. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

"I can’t and won’t continue to read this trash and I want to warn you about the reputation you are leaving in your wake of destruction. "

Ha

26. Rackball

Rackball
    from cincinnati

i say let the haters hate, people come here to learn, joke around, shoot the shit, and hell network across the country even the world! where else could a guy in cali find a mint -insert strange car part- that some guy has in maine? this place has helped and inspired many, so i say screw 'em, let us decide who the bad guys are here...

27. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Fuck Janet... :D

28. Ryan - I hope you have figured out a way to get rich (have you?) I think that is what this really boils down to. I've read enough of the magazines to realize the editors are not paid well. They are small potatoes in their own coporate world, some of them are good, but small potatoes none the less. I honestly think they are envious of what you have done (why didn't WE think of that!). It would be awesome if you hired Janet - or maybe not.....

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To each his own... That's the beauty of the HAMB I guess...

I'm not money motivated at all. I'm passion motivated...

30. if you don't enjoy the site here your soul is as worthless as a seized up engine! communication makes the world go round!