Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. the shadow

the shadow

Posted this sale add for a new friend, he is selling his fathers midget that was raced from the late 1930's till late 1941. Bill Holland built & ran it at philly's yellow jacket stadium as well as langhorne ,sanatoga & reading fairgrounds. after returning from the war (WWII) he didn't race anmore but saved the car in his garage. In the late 1990's bill in his 80's rebuilt the v8-60 engine & started to restore the car to run agian but he passed away. his son has the car now and wish's to sell it. he has documentation of his fathers racing performance with the car as well as some old built pictures. it's a real nice piece and whom ever buys it should rstor it as it was raced under the bill holland name. If our interested please email Kyle at the email listed in the add & say ou saw the add I (paul) posted for him. all the hard work has been done on this car, it does need a cowl (hood) & correct tires but it should fire up with a push start. for anyone collectin earl midgets it's a neat find. I can asssist with suppling more pic (which I have) as well as helping the buyer close the deal and or store it till they can pic it up ect.
    here's the sale link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...05#post6622705

Paul
    <!-- / message -->

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

BS,Thanks for that shot I didn't remember him building midgets,mostly saw the sprints,champ cars,Indy cars and the dirt modifieds....Rich

3. the shadow

the shadow

FYI this is not the same bill holland that ran after the war & ran indy ect.

4. racer5c

racer5c

He built a lot of midgets, my dad had Two, Vogler won his first USAC championship in our King cars

5. racer5c

racer5c

Pretty sure that was Mike Gregg's car

6. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

If you're going to make some King decals, I need a couple for the Larry Rice car I'm restoring.

7. gninc

gninc

Freelance Lettering, I think now it's Indy Graphics, 4a Gasoline Alley Indianapolis In. 46222 freelanceindy.com has Grant King logo stickers on the same gold foil, they're perfect and you can order any size you want, the program is in their computer.

Glenn

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thank's Guy's,I just needed a photo of the logo for a friend who is working on a mural for a buddy's game room and found it on a dirt modified site and it was the same car and angle he was workin on of the Ferrarioulo 73 Kenny Brenns King car and a few other mods between 3 and 4 at Reading. THANKS AGAIN......Rich

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

HELL YES! That's what I'm talking about! EXCELLENT! ;)

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You guys are doing GREAT as always! I have been SLAMMED BUSY, (to busy to fix my Internet connection at my new shop). so.. I havn't been on here much.

I'll post Indy trip pics when I get a chance.. untill then here are a couple to keep ya grinnin'.

(I know its almost a months later, but ask Gene... I got a few things on my plate!!!) :eek:

J Shaw

Attached Files:

11. Tazzio

Tazzio
    from colo.

That is the car that Mike Gregg drove, His brother John Gregg owned the car. Bill Englehardt drove that car before John Gregg bought it, can't remember who owned it then, but I know Grant King built it with an Offy. then Gregg put a Sesco in it. I bought the car from John, and still have it.

12. Ok, let me see if I've got the picture......you completely remodeled a run down garage into you new shop and residence, worked 24/7 getting two Indy cars ready for the 100th Indy. Went to your nephews birthday party, crashed and burned on a skate board, then was notified after taking laps at Indy all the fluids had to be drained in both Indy cars because they were going to be put on display in the museum before the Indy 500, loaded up and taken to the museum, then found out they were going to be driven on race day and had to be re-prepared to do that.
    Geez, Josh, what did you do with all your spare time?....oh yeah you wimpy snotnose, you did sleep a couple of hours a night..... All this in the last two months....geeeez
    HG :cool:

13. A little Tommy Milton factoid....besides Milton being the first two-time winner, the 1923 HCS Special is the only car in Indy history to qualify 1st, finish 1st all the while carrying the #1.

14. Mitch G

Mitch G

Mike Gregg in the King built car at San Jose, 1973. Sorry about the roll cages.
    [​IMG]

15. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Mitch, 'Right behind you! Yeah, the car that the Gregg's got was the ex-Vance Moore SESCO that Bill Engelhart drove during the 1971 USAC Midget season and won the USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ascot Park that same year. Engelhart won the 1973 Turkey Night Grand Prix with another Grant King chassis with a SESCO engine. And that was the Dave Tyler/ Scio Cabinet car that was originally campaigned by Tom Steiner.

Mike Gregg and Jimmy Caruthers both tested their midgets at the Ontario Motor Speedway in 1972 and hit speeds of 180 MPH. There is a picture of Mike and Jimmy posing alongside their cars in victory lane at OMS on the back cover of Ed Watson's 1973 USAC Midget Yearbook.

16. LittleFauss,
    I never knew that you were such a wealth of knowledge. Always factual and accurate. Thanks for your contributions to the vintage world. I like racer5c's Idea of video taping our elders to retain more of this history. I learned there is a lot we need to document before it is gone! So if you know people from the bygone era get a camera and interview them.

17. I keep chipping away,and its three steps forward and two steps back at times,but I love it when I can tick another box......got the header tacked up for final fit ,and it can be finish welded and polished today.....some machine work has been completed and that will be finished this week also...so I can move on to the steering and mount my steering box.My friend is building me a radiator,and that will get the water plumbed.....if only I had more time,money,energy.....you all know the deal......

Attached Files:

18. PK

PK
    from Ohio

The car is really looking good... nice work and a nice touch with the black vette in the background of the last pic. Keep the progress photos coming.
    Blessings,
    PK

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just looked at your build photos, very cool. What is the engine from? Thanx, Gary

20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have heard that torsion bars should not be used in two twisting directions, and have several that are unidentified as to location, is there any way to bake or stress relieve these suckers to relieve stresses so they could be used where wanted? ( Or is that info an old wive's tale? If you used a torsion bar for a sway bar it would twist both ways anyhow.) Thanks.

21. The motor is a 2.0 Ford / Mazda Duratec......set up to produce about 260 bhp.In the UK these engines came in Fiesta,Focus and Mondeo Fords....this came from a ST 150 Ford Fiesta........

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A sway bar has a different dynamic than a T-bar. A sway bar takes weight from one wheel and release's it into the other wheel. A T-bar is captured on one end and transfers weight into the chassis. This 'oneway' twist causes he bar to take a set and reversing it can cause the bar to break. I can't say that I've ever heard of a T-bar being re-tempered but it may be possible. I suspect it would take some fairly elaborate equipment to do and not really something you could do with a rosebud on your torch or in your kitchen oven. Assuming it's possible, you would probably be money ahead buying a new bar from a mfg. JMO.

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting, thanx. Gary

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Lou Nagy (or, Nagey) was from the Detroit area; he ran AAA in 1931/2 with a Fronty and was seriously injured at Fort Wayne (IN) on Sep 25 in '32. I don't have anything on him after that date, but he must have returned to racing as this picture appears to be late thirties. The same photo is in Jack Fox's "Illustrated History of Sprint Car Racing", stating the car was owned by Lou Rassey. It may have been a CSRA event.

The second pic shows Ira Hall, I believe, in his Fronty, late twenties/early thirties.

The third picture shows Tony Willman in a "works" Dreyer in 1941, with owner Floyd Dreyer behind the car. This car was probably built in 1941, and apparently the first Dreyer with a headrest. It was later driven by Bus Wilbert, and was presumably the car in which Ev Saylor was killed in 1942. In 1946, the car was driven (and possibly owned) by Red Byron, before I lose track.

Here (http://www.selinsgrovespeedway.com/speedwayhistory.html) is a picture of the same car in 1946 (3rd from top on the right).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  25. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's some of the highlight from USAC's eastern tour stop at New Egypt Speedway, NJ. 6/2/2011. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I know they have roll cages and there not 1969 and older but I just wanted to share.

26. Some times you need a little 'bling'.....cam cover before and after,and the finned plug cover my friend made,changes the look of the motor.The header is finished,only the exhaust pipe to finish off.....if I can only stop playing with the Vette I might get a little more done..........would help if I showed you what I am talking about.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

NICE! Thanks!