Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your Dad teach you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dmikulec

dmikulec

Don't depend on anyone but yourself.

"Dad" left us when I was three and never looked back.

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Like many others here I will not see my Dad on Fathers day ever again, think of him often though. He taught me to be a man, when to fight for what's right and how to recognize the difference. Never buy a Ford newer than 1954 (he bought only GM cars after 1954), never buy any off breed car (anything that wasn't Ford to 54 and GM),never ever buy a car made in Japan or made here by a Japanese company (Pearl Harbor, Hong Kong, China and Coregador etc.) After my dad passed a couple of really good friends of mine that I had grown up with said " When ever I have a tough decision about raising my kid, I think what would Terry's dad do?" I thought that was a real compliment. The last one he stole from a Robert Service Poem "A promise made is a debt unpayed" I try to live up to that one,

3. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

never touch another man's women, his car, or his tools. and everything you want or need, you have to work for, because you appreciate it more when you have to work hard to get it.

4. Tacho

Tacho

Pay attention and always look both ways.

5. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Dad told me a long time ago..."Son, you might as well just learn to like fat girls...because there are a lot more of them." Ain't that the truth.

6. Old Sprinter

Old Sprinter

To stand on the gas and drive it like you stoled it. To play a sport you have to be a sport. How to build anything I want. Anything with tits or tires will cost you money.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. Deuces

Deuces

He said son... Your gonna drive me into drinkin' if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln...

8. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Aside from how to take abuse and believe it was my fault, he didn't teach me a single Goddamn thing. I wish he had left when I was three.

If you did have a good dad, do something nice for him.

9. How to grow tomatos

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

He has taught me more then I will ever remember, and continues to do so almost on a daily basis
    We work together in a Heavy Industrial Maintenance Company that is ours..the history, the stories, the knowledge to get it done right is way more than any man could ever fully absorb..but the wisdom is always there at 76 years old, and still on his game

If you shoot it , kill it gut it..you eat it...if you wont eat it, dont kill it, watch it and learn from it.

correct breathing method is 90% of accuracy
    always rack another shell, even if you think its dead.

Provide for your family, dont take no shit, remember who you are, stand by your word.
    if it aint broke, dont fix it..in other words dont try to change what works..dont re-invent the fucking wheel

finish what you started

Im still learning from him

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  11. Deuces

Deuces

How about 16 foot tall tomato plants??? :) My dad had a green thumb and was great at making plants grow...

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That you don't have to cuss and swear no matter how mad you are. Sorry dad I did try but I'm just not as good a person as you were. Also how to tie a tie for Sunday school and church every Sunday.

I learned a lot of basic electricity from him. I remember him being mad at me for blowing the fuse in the house when I spliced a power cord to a battery powered electric model car motor and plugged it into the wall.:eek::D

He was more upset about me not knowing than the actual attempt. It spun like hell for a split second before the lights went out and the TV quit working upstairs. I had to go upstairs and tell him why it quit. It seemed like a good idea at the time.:D

13. roddinron

roddinron

Probably lots of things, but what I remember most was to stay the hell away from him and don't do anything to piss him off!:eek:

14. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

my dad is still around and he is an engine guy , knows the answers to all questions about engines but since i am more of a body we walk side bi side in our restoration and car stuff , best thing he has taught me yet is how to get out of snow and ice safe and sound . and yes a lesson he learnd the hard way work with your head not the back , but he is great just awsome to have him around ,

15. my dad taught me to work with my hands and never say the words i can't.

16. Kenny P

Kenny P

Ed Zackley- sorry your Dad sucked.
    Good advice though to those who still have a good one around.
    Quite a few years ago I asked my Dad what "The One Thing" that he always wanted to do before he left us was,
    and he said "BONNEVILLE"!
    So I found out when Speedweek was,
    got time out of work, got his Boss to let him off that week, drove from Fl. to Pa. and we went!
    One of the best memories ever!
    And he's been back twice since then!!

So do something nice before it's too late. :)

17. May Pop

May Pop

My dad taught me " IF youve got to feed it or paint it its not worth having" Also never pass up free food.

18. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

Yeah, same here. I told somebody once I wish my parents would divorce and he looked at me like I had three heads, like having parents married for 44 years of wedded misery was some great idea. I would have much rather lived without him, than to have lived through the abuse.

Nothing I did was ever good enough.
    Everything I know, I've learned on my own.

19. Iron Man

Iron Man

To bring it back with as much gas as when I took it, to never pee on an electric fence and why I never had time to do something right but I always had time to do it again

20. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Pops taught me that a big wooden spoon full of hot beans will stick like napalm to the side of your head if you mouth off at the dinner table.

21. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

My dad taught me that "Electronics are just boxes filled with smoke, and if the smoke ever gets out, their not good anymore."

Seriously though he was/is a mechanic and has that uncanny ability to fix damn near anything usually by simply touching it (it drove my mom crazy and since I have seemed to inherent said ability now drives my wife crazy). He taught me more in the shop than I could ever list here.

But the really important stuff consist of the life lessons. Judging by what most of you guys wrote, we could be brothers...apparently my dad had allot more families than I was aware of. But thats why I dig you guys. Like my wife and I we might be at completely opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to cars, style, politics, theories or goals in life, but the core values are basically the same.

The single greatest thing I learned from him though he didn't so much "teach" me as "show" me, and that was how to be a dad...I hope I am half the dad to my children that he was to me.

"Any sperm donor can be a father, it takes a real man to be a dad."

22. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

What you don't do with your brain, you'll make up with your back.
    A half-assed job is never acceptable.
    Don't waste money trying to "keep up with the Joneses".
    Get an education and never stop learning.
    Respect for quality and workmanship.
    Don't expect others to do for you what you can do for yourself.
    In spite of being total knuckleheads when they're 15, kids usually grow up to reflect well on their parents.

Edit: The above applied to my late stepfather. Before I was born, my biological father left town like he was 5 minutes ahead of a posse.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  23. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Integrity....in the end that's all there is.

24. dmikulec

dmikulec

I got that kinda crap from my stepfather when I was a teen.

My "dad" was good at things like telling us he was going to pick us up for a weekend visit, then not bothering to show up. He was an expert at that particular trick.

So yeah, if you've got a real dad let him know how much you appreciate all that he's done for you. :cool:

25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

How to tear duct tape,and to always be on time for work.Thats all I can say about that part.
    Now the task at hand is what I as a father have learned from the past and how am I going to go forward and teach my son ,who is off to a great start in life.His mother deserves and shout out here too!!

26. Rackball

Rackball
    from cincinnati

-it's not how well you can weld, its about how well you can grind.
    -never armor all the front bench seats.
    -make sure her dad isn't a cop.
    -be nice to stranger's cause they'll be the ones on your jury.

happy fathers day fellas!

27. piratestagehand

piratestagehand
    from Sparta, NJ

My Dad taught me that if your going to bother to do something you better do it right or not at all. Always use American tools... always. Safety rules are there for a reason, and you had better learn them. That way you know which ones you can break. He taught me that you never only walk down one path in life and never burn a bridge on the walk. And finally no matter how frustrating a task is always work at 100%, the pride will make it all worth it in the end.

28. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

WAY TO MUCH TO PUT HERE! Oh wait! how to blow shit up with M-80's........Now thats father and son bonding right there!

29. swsimon

swsimon

My pops is not a car guy at all.The only thing he knows about a car is to put gas in it and when the lease is up go get another one. He taught me to put family first above all and to treat people the way i would want people to treat me I guess thats why my parents are married for more than 60 years and pops is still friends with kids he went to grade school with. I live in the same town as my parents and still see them probably 4 - 5 times a week. Whenever i need someone to talk to he is there for me. Love you pops happy fathers day to all. Scott

30. HotRod33

HotRod33

This will be the 3rd fathers day since dad passed on... but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him..... he taught me alot of things that I didn't realize when I was younger but I learned from him that I could do anything I wanted nothing holds you back but yourself.... and Dad isn't really gone I'll see him out in the barn where I keep the 33 pickup his old truck......