Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Amazing how tough those old cars are.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruZer, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CruZer

CruZer

Not a traditional rod by any means, but this is a pix of my friends '39 Chevy that got broadsided after a guy ran a stop light last Sunday.
    Look at how nice the steel is on this car. It's shaped like a banana now as it took quite a hit and is probably totaled but who knows at this point.
    Important thing is my friend walked away and his GF is in stable condition and a local hospital.

Attached Files:

2. X55GasserMan

X55GasserMan
    from CT

Did this happen in Windsor?...Glad everybody is ok...

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool car. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

4. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Traditional or not that's a real shame... glad they are okay!

5. The Internet

The Internet
    from Hudson, NH

That sucks. :(

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

6. Jimm56

Jimm56

What's the "other guy" look like? New stuff usually fares worse.

7. CruZer

CruZer

Did this happen in Windsor?...Glad everybody is ok..

No it happened in Gt.Barrington.

What's the "other guy" look like? New stuff usually fares worse.

Yeah, the other car was fairly new and it had the whole front end wiped out.

8. wow...glad your friend and his gf are ok..can't say the same for that Chevy.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

True, but that is because it is designed to. New cars are designed to crumple up and absorb the energy of a crash so it doesn't get transferred to you inside the car. The car is basically designed to sacrifice itself so you can stay safer. So, yes, more damage to the car, but hopefully less to you.

Old cars are still cool and some people will argue the merits of thick metal and not wearing seat belts all day, but the bottom line is new cars are designed to be safer on purpose and definitely are safer for most accident situations.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, old steel is good-glad everyone going to be OK. If '39 in pic was a later car with no side air bags may have been a different result. had a '41 Chevy sedan that was in parking lot with ever so slowly backing up hit the frontend of some dummy in a Toyota that pulled right behind me and could not see in my mirrors. Did $1500 worth of damage to his frontend and not even a scratch to '41 bumper.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's about right. Slow crashes are good for the older stuff where you wouldn't get hurt anyway, but higher speed crashes are a lot worse for you. That is especially true for cars than normally were to be driven 50-55mph max and are now in the mix at 60-75mph.

Best option is to try to just do everything you possibly can to avoid a high speed crash in an old car because the outcome will not be as pleasant as in a newer car. Less damage to your old car isn't much comfort if you have been hurt real badly or killed.

12. kma4444

kma4444

13. Rackball

Rackball
    from cincinnati

glad everyone is okay, happened last year to my buddy, his 57 belair was t-boned by a mack truck...he only had a few bruises but you couldnt even tell it was a belair anymore. for shame...:(

14. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I grew up in the 60's on US 67 and there were 3 towing services within 3 blocks of our house so I saw nearly every wrecked car from 15 miles in any direction and there were LOTS of them. A couple of them ended up being mine in the 70's. If you really think older cars are safer watch a copy of the old Driver's Ed. films like Signal 30. The wrecks they show weren't picked because they were the worst they could find, they were pretty typical. Although cars may be safer now there are a lot more brain dead idiots on the road and now they have cell phones to further distract their limited ability to see past the end of their own nose. Be careful out there guys.

I've had so many close calls in the past couple years in my OT stuff it's unreal and in two cases had I been in the Stude it wouldn't have been a close call. It would have been a bad, bad wreck with me on the losing end. I know it will take away from the vintage look but it's getting seat belts and shoulder harnesses and a dual master cylinder and disc brakes are real high on my Xmas list.

15. Back when cars weren't designed for driver safety...belts, air bags, collapsible stuff, etc, the results of the crashes were HORRIBLE to the occupants. They might have been built like Tanks, but the injuries to the passangers were horrific...

16. Glad to hear everyone will be O.K., all that matters.

17. Car looks fixable to me, pending a check on a frame table to make sure the whole thing isn't bent through the middle. Good to hear everyone is going to be allright.

18. CruZer

CruZer

That's exactly what the insurance adjuster said until they put it on the farme table. There isn't a straight piece on the whole car except for the hood. The cowl pushed both fenders out of shape before folding in on itself. The car is shaped like a banana now with the frame bent in a big curve. The roof is creased;rear end and driveshaft is bent;floor pan is kicked up as the seat broke and pulled the tracks and floor out towards the passenger side.

Yes,if it were a stock body,it might be worth fixing but when you count in the chopped top,suicide doors,side opening trunk,etc.etc. ,it will cost less to just modify a straight original.

19. Ouch! Thats heartbreaking. Glad everyone is ok.

20. Dave_The_BMXER

Dave_The_BMXER

Signed up after someone commented on my blog saying the car was lost. Very sorry to hear that after just seeing it in person.

Hope for a quick recovery for the occupants.

Here's a shot I took of it on the weekend

[​IMG]

21. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Spooky close and both real nice but not the same cars. Note head and tail lights, door openings, grills, chop, bra/no bra. Not visable in the pic but the wrecked one ran MA tags.

Hope both are recovering well.

Ed

22. CruZer

CruZer

You beat me to it,Ed. There are an amazing number of 37-39 Chevy sedans that are close to the color of Ed's but you're right. There's no mistaking the chop ,suicide doors,etc.
    Car was built in western Pa.

23. Dave_The_BMXER

Dave_The_BMXER

Wow my mistake. I'll have to let the commenter know.

Hope the people involved are recovering well.

24. CruZer

CruZer

Update on this accident the A-hole kid who was driving the Taurus that T-boned my friend was TEXTING and was charged for this and ,hopefully, other driving infractions.

My friend is still on crutches with a broken pelvis and rib and his girlfriend was airlifted to a Boston hospital to be nearer her family but is in for a long recovery.

Grundy totaled the car and has been terrific to my friend with daily communications on updates.They are taking care of the bills and assure him his insurance check is on the way. They even asked how he was making out financially since he's out of work. Fortunatly, he has sick days, but the lady representing Grundys said he shouldn't have to use them and they will "take care of it ".

Here are two more pix. It goes to Copart,the highest bidder, today.

Attached Files:

25. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

texting, what a fuckin' dope. think he'll learn from this? i hope everyone is doing o.k. and fully recover from this unfortunate and very avoidable accident. quick question, does grundy or any other collector car ins. give the owner the option of buying the car back for salvage value, or do they just send it to auction and try to re-coupe as much as they can? just curious.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If something isn't done soon, texting will become the most common cause of fatality auto and truck wrecks. Yes, I've seen many a "professional" at the wheel of what, 90,000 pounds of truck, at speed texting just like they were mommies on the way to drop their kids at school or big kids dropping off littler kids at schools too!

27. Deuces

Deuces

texting and driving is illegal(sp) here in Michigan.. But I still see assholes doing it.. :mad:

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not legal here either but when you drive a truck that sits up a bit you see a ton of people driving and texting or doing other things such as reading a book that is propped up on the steering wheel.

It looks like this is a strong vote for looking To Grundy for insurance on the 48 and the roadster though. Not that either will be worth a fortune but it's good to know that an insurance company will actually back you up in these deals.

29. CruZer

CruZer

This is what Grundy did in this case. Maybe standard procedure: They put the car out to bid with pix.The highest bidder got it and also had to pay towing and storage costs. The owner was given the contact person where he could send in a bid if he wanted to. He didn't so I don't know if an owner is given first refusal. Another friend put in a bid then withdrew it after really inspecting the car.

30. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

CruZer, thanks for the info.