Register now to get rid of these ads!

A funny thing happened over the weekend...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sophisto79, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sophisto79

sophisto79

Well, it brewed for over a week after a snap fleabay find...
    [​IMG]
    1950 Ford F1, chopped, bagged (never thought I'd have a bagged car/truck) good driver with Chevy driveline (not my taste, but good and reliable). She needs a bit of TLC, but I can drive her around now and make her mine over time. The best part was going out to Palm Desert area to buy her sight unseen, pay, get pinks and bill of sale, once over from the seller (whole deal took 10 minutes!) and jam out to a gig in San Diego. Then party, crash out, get up at dawn and drive 'er all the way back to SF without any major problems. I'll never forget that feeling (new to me).:D

Does it get any better?

2. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Congratulations on the purchase... I love the F1 truck style lots of character keep posting as you make it yours...

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you have a real good start on a cool project, plus you know it'll do the miles! What kind of gas mileage did you get? It sounds like you have a similar drivetrain to my '51.

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

those are sweet trucks. theres plenty of cool ones around to get you inspired on the next steps.
    Congrats.

5. sophisto79

sophisto79

Thanks! Certainly did the miles with ease. I'm guessing I got around 15-17 mpg or so, though I'm not sure how much the stock gas tank holds. Any ideas? I filled it with about 12-14 gallons when the gauge was just below 1/4 tank or so.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think its a 20 gallon tank, might have the info in my book, wherever the hell that is. What engine does the truck have? Mine has a 350 (snore) but I hope it at least gets decent mileage when I get it on the road.

7. sophisto79

sophisto79

Double snore here (350/350). If I keep it Chevy, I'm gonna look for a 283 or 327 to drop in. :D

I think it will be a decent balance of power and gas mileage in your truck too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i dig it. drive the wheels off that thing

9. Nice truck you got there. do some more fixing up and it will be a lot of fun.

10. sophisto79

sophisto79

Thanks fellas! Believe me, she will get miles, and a lot of TLC!

11. jrose7004

jrose7004

Looks pretty cool! Congrats.

12. lukey

lukey

nice score man! my brother has a 51...man i would love to get my hands on one!

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm hoping so, gas mileage wise. As for my 350/350, once it wears out I want to put a Y-block & 5 speed in it. The 283 or 327 would be pretty cool, I've had both in years past and they both make plenty of power to move the truck down the road. Mine was weighed at 2970 lbs, nice and light. Post up some pics of your progress.
    Also, ther'es a group on here called Bonus Built and the members have some nice trucks.

14. sophisto79

sophisto79

Yeah, Y-Block! I'm thinking the same as a buddy has a 272 tucked away. I'll definitely put together a "freshen-up" thread together once I get started.