Register now to get rid of these ads!

LOW static dropped drivers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jun 5, 2011.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

I did a search and didnt really find what im looking for .Im wanting to see sum extreme examples of fendered cars and truck with really low static drops that are actually driven...

2. Curt Six

Curt Six

Is there a particular type or era of car/truck you are working on? I've saved some photos of various chassis and suspension set ups that I've seen on here - some with extensive frame modifications to get a car low and maintain functionality - but it all depends what you are looking for (ie leaf set ups or coils, dropped axles or A-arms, etc.) What are you starting with?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Sorry :eek:,it doesnt really matter i guess on the make and model im just wanting sum inspiration to lower my truck in the front more.Im happy with the way the rear sits since i lowered it (3 inch blocks and leafs removed),but i want the front lower .It should be easy enough since the clip is real narrow and i have tons of tire to fender clearence now even with the tall Bias tires .I just want to see what others have gotten away with as far as ground clearence goes :) ...

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      92.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. Tony

Tony

Here's my 52. The front fenders just behind the wheels are about 3.5" off the ground MAX. Static, no bags etc..
    And it's got just under 15K miles on it since i finished it and put it on the road 2 and a half years ago.
    The ONLY thing i run into any issues with is certain speed bump, Gotta go over em slow or it will hit the lower fenders hard.
    I know i am probably JUST above the fender scrub line.

Tony

Attached Files:

61Cruiser likes this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My ole '65 Coupe Deville rode less than an inch at the lowest point....we don't need no stinking scrubline!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    61Cruiser likes this.
  6. The Shocker

The Shocker

What is your tire size up front ? I have alot of tire height on mine with the Bias WW's .BTW , i really dig your truck :)...

7. Tony

Tony

Thanks a lot.
    I have 215-70-15's on 15x7 rims.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This '49 is bagged in the rear and static height in front. The rear bags are fully extended in this photo. I barely make it up a standard driveway and nothings hits.
    DSC01783.jpg

61Cruiser likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

10. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

My old 52

[​IMG]

you get the idea..........
    [​IMG]

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats what im talking about right there .Holy shit thats LOW for a static ride height :eek::)...

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nova...I have a '52 F1 and a '55 F100...Jeez, your trucks look like mine!
    Is that '52 'clipped' in front? Tha'ss loooow.....

13. slammed

slammed

14. The Shocker

The Shocker

I love the stance on you F1 NovaTattoo .Thats exactly how i want my AD to sit.A rake to the front but low all around ...

15. This'd be my '63 Biscayne. A little under 3" between pavement and frame, and less than that between the exhaust and pavement. [​IMG]

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was with the Nova stub under it in the early 80's
    The back end wasn't that low but the front bumper was about 4 inches off the ground.
    [​IMG]

61Cruiser likes this.
  17. my friends old '60 elco was like that.......it was all fun and games until he found the construction grate that was overlapped going about 25mph. he said he came to almost a complete stop, it bent the hell out of the front crossmember.

18. gtkane

gtkane

I have about 4" clearance on my DD, and still legal.
    I just can't post a pic of it.('88 Astro is too new!)

19. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

My old '47 Ford coupe, and '50 Buick Sedanette...

Attached Files:

20. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Thanks guys. I miss that truck! :rolleyes: It had a Mustang II crossmember,
    2" drop spindles and I ran 14" wheels. But it tucked them 14s pretty nicely and NEVER rubbed when turning. The back of the front fenders where the running board meets was even closer to the ground.

Later,Bill

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Jdubbya's '55 truck.

Attached Files:

61Cruiser and Black_Sheep like this.
  22. The Shocker

The Shocker

I love the stance on that one :).Its low but has that attitude with the rake ...

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I dont mean no hate nor im trying to be a smart ass, but why use adjustable suspension and then have so little travel?
    It looks awesome on full liftt thou, and that cant be said of many cars, ahaha...

Now for a little contribution. This is my O/T project, b4 i decided to bag it, bridge it and make it a full blown lowrider i had it severley lowered by mountin a crossmember inside under the rear seats, the coils would seat there passin through the floor (picture).
    This way i still had uncut coil springs but i was riding an inch off the ground, actually the frame was, as the rockers are higher than the frame.....also the front wasnt as low, cause the crossmemebr would have been to low for a static drop and this being my daily would have been a pain.
    It rode great. honest, if i have to do a static dop again in any coil sprung car this is what im gonna do.
    sory for the pic, its the only one i have on this set up.

One thing to take into consideration when riding a super low non adjustable car is.....everything! LOL
    I remember thinkin what route was ok to avoid giant speed bumps, what malls where accessible, as most here have a very steep and short step to get in the parking lot, what underpasses where safe to do, and you have to look at the road w/ 4 eyes.
    I remember once tearin the fuel line on a pretty big hole in the tarmac! and another time bustin the very same line on a gate hook, the kind that sits in the ground in the middle of the gate.
    i also ripped a silencer and bent a front crossmember......theres more but cant think of it now.
    Its all part of the fun, but i think its better to know these things 1st.
    Have fun, Nick.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  24. jon volk

jon volk

[​IMG]

Driven it every sunny day this summer.

25. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

My old 49 Dodge. She had right at 2'' of ground clearance in the rear and 3'' in the front. I did eventually bag the rear, but drove her this way for a year or so.

Attached Files:

61Cruiser likes this.
  26. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

If you want to see some old-school examples, check out the HAMB Larry Watson Photo Album thread ... and many of these cars were drivers. According to the Thom Taylor/Larry Watson book Watson's Custom Car Confessions, Larry bought a '57 Cadillac Brougham in 1960. The car had factory-installed air suspension which Larry aired out before driving it off the lot. He later bought a new '62 Caddy which he drove directly to his lowering shop on the way home from the dealer (said that he would be embarrassed to have his crew see him in a unlowerd car). He was hard-core on lowered cars before the era of aftermarket bag and hydraulic systems.

The topic reminded me of a car my parents' neighbor had back in the mid-60's ... a '60 Cadillac CdV with factory air suspension (very trouble-prone - many were replaced with conventional suspensions). You could tell when the car hadn't been started for a few days ... it would be "belly-flopped" on the driveway when the bags leaked down.

27. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

nicknamed....the "HOVERCRAFT"

on the way to Vegas from N. Carolina - empty.......the way back w/30 Coupe body

Attached Files:

61Cruiser, 6sally6 and Okie Pete like this.
  28. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

biscuit, this pic is going in my inspiration file! early '60s four door sedan, steel wheels, dog dishes and low stance! NICE, DUDE!

29. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i would love to have a lowered car. but here they have these speed mountains{7 inches tall & 36 inches wide} all over freaken town,,i love slammed cars.thanks for sharing

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ umh...the only reason to not lower a car is lazyness.