Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. WCD

WCD

I visited San Gabe once and Pomona during the PVTA era once. But Irwindale? Countless times. And when I couldnt, you could hear the cars run thanks to the sound waves reverberating off the rock quarries.

2. WCD

WCD

If you make a close inspection of the chassis (Its not easy I know because of the shell) you can see where it was the same one used on Pippins next venture with Don Green.

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Very well said!!...the "jacks" car you referred to was the Jahns Brothers rear-engined sidewinder, blown Dodge powered, three-wheeled ...about as innovative as it got! The car, frame painted bright orange, had no body, and the driver, Jeff Jahns, sat pretty much out in the wind...the car ran high 180s for a while, always leaving behind the competition when Jeff let down the hydraulic jacks, engine running, rear wheels spinning, thing took off like nothing else...but after a few weeks even Jim Tice at San Gabriel decided that the car was not safe enough...they did have safety concerns, would not let me run anything more stout than an unblown Ardun because of the thin roll cages in the Chassis Research TE-440...

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'll be darned...I have a home movie of that car leaving the line somewhere along with a bunch of other stuff. Like I said...somewhere...
    Someday...someday....

5. 296ardun

296ardun

That would be very cool, hope you find it!! (actually the car I referred to was Cook Bros and Jahns...Jeff drove but apparently the Cook Bros owned it...would love to know what happened to it.)

6. I used to go into the Champion Speed shop garage and see the Georges Corvette FC being built.

Glad to have a pic of it, I thought it was great back then, now I remember why!

7. WCD

WCD

I recall in National Dragster and Drag News, George Reece would offer three of his Vette funnies ready for booking. A virtual complete show by one car owner.

8. It was cool because it really was just a FE dragster with a glass Corvette body. But it looked much much cooler than any of the hybrid dragster/funnys. I think it was because the body was narrowed and the wire wheels hung out.

It just looked "tough".

9. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

Mazooma, in 63 I graduated and had 2 years racing under the belt, our first local drag strip (leagle) was a packed down front of a 1/2 mile dirt track (best dam clay around) a little over a 1/8 mile and a shutdown into turn 1&2 ha ha crazy! Sort of grabed you, you no where!!! Then moved to P.I.D. (Pittsburgh International Dragstrip) many times the roar of motors at that 1/4,1/2 mile dirt track invaded my ears from standing on the grand stands with my mother (age 5) till it closed. Drove stock cars on the dirt and blacktop after they paved the track, which we all though that was the biggest misstake ever, it closed soon after. Started dragracing @ 15 years old, didn't ask for drivers license back then since I had been driving stock car for a year. Then came P.I.D. 1/4 mile paved drag racing. Had a lot of big names and a lot of fun, from racing many different cars to crewing for a C/A and a A/FD. Helped a couple visiting exabition cars that needed help, got free tickets to Indy Nationals one year, many fond memories. Take care guys, BUZZ

10. kroozn1

kroozn1

Attached Files:

• ug10.jpg
      ug10.jpg
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
    • ug3.jpg
      ug3.jpg
      File size:
      191.1 KB
      Views:
  11. kroozn1

kroozn1

Attached Files:

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I just bought the TV Tommy Ivo book last night it has a bunch of awesome pics in it.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yuppers. From the awful altereds website

Attached Files:

14. thehazguy

thehazguy

Detroit 1959 B/C

Attached Files:

15. thehazguy

thehazguy

Detroit 1959 A/Roadster smoking them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  16. 296ardun

296ardun

Very cool photos!! Wonder if John Moore is the same guy who took lots of photos in central california in mid-50s, many posted on the WDIFL site under the "From the Beginning" page...The yellow 5-window seems like the same one that competed at the '56 (?) NHRA Nationals with Ardun power, from Hawaii, as you noted in the other post...THANKS FOR POSTING!

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

18. I can do that. VHS 2 DVD

Ron Anderson
    Makin' Tracks Recording
    PO Box 2777
    Dillon, CO 80435

www.mtrecording.com

19. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I'm gettin all misty. Those were the days my friend, no responsibilities only what fun we were looking for next. :D

20. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

ROLL CALL

Anyone going to Beaver Springs for the GASSER REUNION this weekend?

I'll be there around 12 Thursday afternoon.

Plum

21. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

[​IMG]<a href="http://www.fotki.com" style="font-size:12px; font-family:Verdana; text-decoration:none;"></a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. dieyuppiescum

dieyuppiescum
    from Cincinnati

not exactly a hamb ride, but a killer pic

Attached Files:

23. skywolf

skywolf

dieyuppiescum please read this. Thanks.

24. Dang Drifters.......lol :D

25. kroozn1

kroozn1

I don't think it is the same John Moore. John is a bit young for that time frame. He from Billings MT. and lived in Pocetello, ID. He was the starter at the Pocetello drag strip for many years. He is now retired and living back at Billings. He did tell me he towed his car to California to race, but I think that was in the early-mid 60's.

That yellow '32 hits all my buttons.

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, appreciate the info...yes, that yellow coupe was outstanding, I do remember that Hot Rod featured it in Montana after its owner went to college there...wonder what happened to it...

27. MotionNova

MotionNova
    from Ohio

Ok how about a History Drag cars in motion...picture thread-part 2. Photos from 1969 to 80 ?

28. you can try , but i dont think it will fly here i wouldnt mind it though

29. WCD

WCD

There is a Pippens/Green entry that even pre-dates this version.

30. Yes it it is.

Thanks.