Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hmmm....very nice trophy. ;)

Pete

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Its to bad AHRA could not make a come back. NHRA put the squash :mad: on that.

3. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:confused:One for the white wheel lovers. The car is called Jack be Quick. Any guesses as to who it is??

Attached Files:

4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Another AHRA Vette that's still making passes. Don't remember his name but the only thing changed from when it was raced in the 70's is a new paint job.
    [​IMG]

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Speaking of AHRA, here's a mint condition, sew on jacket patch I bought at a swap meet about twenty years ago.

[​IMG]

Pete

6. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Paul dilcher.....the real deal!!
    Still racin after all these years!
    "ya see....ya go foggin on down there.....this baby rolls!!!"
    the dilch.

Attached Files:

7. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Hello I am looking for some help.I got my new fender well headers and was hoping someone with a 57 chevy with a nice and clean looking install could make me a templet of the fender opening.I talked to Jere and he never thought to make one at the time. My headers are new but built in 8 of 1969. Thank You Keith 412-779-3479

8. Hey guys! Been off the thread for a while and just busy with work and cars. Thought I would show these headers I just made for my other '57 Chevy that is now sporting a Buick 401 Nailhead for power. Not junior stock specific, but still Tri-Five fenderwell headers :D
    -Dean

Attached Files:

• 401a.jpg
      401a.jpg
      File size:
      302.9 KB
      Views:
    • 401b.jpg
      401b.jpg
      File size:
      237.2 KB
      Views:
    • 401c.jpg
      401c.jpg
      File size:
      303.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Template!?!?!?!? We never had no stinkin' templates!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, start with a small hole and keeping making it bigger until the headers fit through. With the tools at hand today, it shouldn't be too tough to make it look good. It was when we did it with a torch and cleaned up the edges with a hand file that they looked a bit rough.

c

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Keith, Chuck Norton is right ... never knew of any templates furnished by header manufactures.

BUT, if you want to take some extra care -- cut a much-larger section of the inner-fender well (neatly) away and *replace it (*tape it in place) with an easy-to-cut stiff-paper section and make a pattern.

After you've created your own custom template, transfer it to the sheet-metal piece you've previously cut out and MIG weld (or pop-rivet) the piece/s back in place. Or ... you could secure the now-modified panels back in place with sheet-metal screws for more expedient header removal in the future.

11. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

There seems to be a lot of knowledge here. So let me try one here. When I was in high school , early- mid 70's , the local srip that I would run at some split stock classes in way that I dont find in here. I had a 66 Chevelle that was G/S. The first time I went there they made me run G/O. The G/O as I remember was with aftermarket carb, any rear tire up to 10" and headers. The only thing that bumped me up was I had G-60 tires on the back. After the first time there I switched the rear tires to G-70 to run G/S. My times were basically the same and I had a fighting chance in stock. Was this just a local thing ? Also the track was AHRA sanctioned back then.

12. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Our local track, NHRA-sanctioned, ran a Pure Stock Eliminator...trophy-only...using the same classifications as Stock but with very restrictive rules. Basically, "showroom-stock". Exhaust dumps/cutouts were allowed, all tires the same size (or, if different, the SMALLER size in the rear!), no headers, no slicks (although a few serious guys ran recaps front 'n rear), stock ignition etc.

Sounds like your track made "allowances" for "Day 2" cars...those with common mods that otherwise would have put you in Super Stock or ModProd or even Gasser class. AHRA with their "Formula Stock" classes were "racer friendly"...

13. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This is from a 73' rule book.
    [​IMG]

14. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Thanks guys. That page outta the rulebook I remember now. And yes those stock classes then at that track were for trophies. I've been digging thru all my boxes of stuff trying to find an old book to see if it was just local. Thats it though. The tires was what bumped me up. I went to G-70 which matched the front and ran stock after that. It seems to me the quickest I ever ran was a very high 14. Normally around 15.00. 327 4 speed. That sounds slow now, but at 17 yrs old I thought I was pretty kool. I still have a coupla trophys to this day.

15. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I remember "Factory Stock" (showroom) run at Aquasco, Capitol and Cecil County in Md. in the early 60's up until around 1968 or 69 and they had a max allowable rear gear ratio of 4:11 allowed as these were street driven cars. Also they didnt allow exhaust dumps. Had to run thru the OEM exhaust manifols and mufflers. Dual exhaust was allowed even if they were not factory such as a 65 Comet with a 289. My late friend Gene Collins ran a 65 225 HP 202 Comet 2 door sedan in F/FS and had installed dual exhaust. These cars could only run 3:80 gears as that was all that was avaliable for the small rear. They couldnt use the 9 inch rear unless the engine was a 271 HP. This was his street ride as he ran a 271 HP Mustang in C and D/SA for regular Jr. stock eliminator. . He still couldnt beat a guy named Bob Schoenbouer with a 66 289/225 HP GT Mustang Fastback in the same class that usually ran around 14.20's. The rest of the rules were pretty much the same.
    Several were caught running 4:56 and 4:88 gears and were :eek: DQ'ed. I remember one was a 1966 427/425 HP 2 door Biscayne running a 4:56 rear.They jacked them up and counted the tire rotation vs drive shaft rotation to determin the gear ratio. Those were fun and inexpensive times and it paid a whopping $25 to win. I dont know of to many who cheated in the engine because we were all pretty dumb about what to do back in the day.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  16. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

this a 73 rule book....a AHRA rule book.............Stock/optional was a new class put together with the Tice family, along, with Stock/vette.....these new classes brought approx 60 new entries to each Grand American race, while Pure Stock and Super Stock entries grew along the way!..the so-called 'OIL SHORTAGE" Did not hurt the AHRA during these years..

17. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Well, they are the same class, the STP sticker looks like it's in the same spot on the top, headers look the same, color.........I'll cast a yes vote.

18. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

lol where did you find em? geez

:cool:

19. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Very Cool Dean! You are an inspiration. Great to see a younger guy still carrying on the interest of these GREAT cars! Will we see you at York this year? Until next time..... Dave.

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

21. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

[​IMG]

From the "Canadian Drag Racing" site. A Tom Spence pic. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  22. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

First of all, are u using the stock motor mounts? If you are, I can make a template, I'm using Stahl Headers, what I did was, with the engine installed and the headers bolted on and the front fenders off the car I took the inner fender and placed it where it would be going cutting off a litttle at a time until you have enough clearance. If you have any questions or want the template, please call me at 973-989-1623.

Butch

23. copo69

copo69
    from WV

What is the "B" decal and the triangular decal above the Hurst sticker?

24. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Maybe, but I had planned on playing with the 56 this year. In the end a new job put the brakes on that. :( I have most of the stuff for a 225 hp car.

25. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

The triangle is federal-mogul. Not sure on the B (maybe Berryman ?)

26. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Not a contingency decal but one I saw on quite a few cars in the late 60's early 70's.

Attached Files:

27. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

Question to this elite group; did anyone on this board attend the 1972 Ahra national challenge, in Tulsa on labor day week end?. Sportsman ran tuesday thru thursday.pros ran Friday to Sunday.it was an awesome race...2 days of qualifying, and the sportsman finals Thursday night..huge money payouts...the race taught the Nhra a valuable lesson to raise the purses at Nhra future races....WHAT WAS REALLY KOOL WAS WATCHING THE PRO STOCK RACERS WATCHING STOCK AND SUPER STOCK ELIMINATOR ON THURSDAY NIGHT///REMEMBER IN 1972, THOSE FELLOWS WERE FRESH FROM BEING SPORTSMAN RACERS THEMSELVES..CIRCA 1965 TO 1969...

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

That's the first thought that came to my mind, Bill, but wasn't 100% sure because I only recall the later versions of their decal.

[​IMG]

Pete

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Up 'til you mentioned it, I always thought it was a Pro-only event thanks to the (lack of) coverage in the major car magazines of the day.

Pete

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  30. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

what made the race special for the sportssman racers, was that the week-end before, AHRA held a major Grand American in Kansas City..so we raced a week-end, and drove into Tulsa on Monday morning and had a day to re-group...........it was a huge event for the mnfrs too..to catch 2 major events in 10 days.