Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ruins of detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RuFFDaWG, Jun 2, 2011.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

really dude. you're going to start union bashing right before i go to bed? one of henrys factory rats here. its not our fault. if the unions hadnt been here we would all have been speaking chinese a long time ago. same old story, im an hourly guy at ford so im lazy and RICH, right? easy to say when you dont live here. i make a real good hourly wage thats for sure but im far from rich. i live in a 900 sq ft bungalow, drive a 15 year old car. if i didnt have luck on my side and find parts cheap i wouldnt even be building a hot rod.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Anyone ever bsen to a baseball game or concert downtown Detroit? We are a proud bunch of derelicts, huh?

3. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back on point, I used to get to the D for work regularly about 8 years ago - I always enjoyed the visits, people were great and the history is amazing. Which makes some of these pictures even more of a bummer. But I am pretty certain the people of Detroit don't want our pity, just a little respect.

4. kmfdm242

kmfdm242
    from phx az

I used to live in MI, not to far from Detroit. I hate to see pics like these. I am still bummed about Tiger Stadium. Lots of history and cool archeticture. Google image the train station, one of the coolest buildings in Detroit

5. Deuces

Deuces

I hope that idiot rots in jail... :mad:

6. WOW........love the photography, hate what has happened to a once great city!
    REALLY SAD TO SEE!!

7. TERPU

TERPU

Wow, what beautiful Architecture. Makes me want to move ot Detroit and start trying to clean up some of those. I know about the crime rate and detritus ridden aspects. But my goodness it looks like an opportunity to me for some cool living in great architecture. Too bad employment is so scarce around there, I bet it starts to come back. There is just waaay to much good stuff there. My Grandma was from Wyandotte during the golden age of Detroit and was a life long Tiger fan, It rubbed off on me.

Tim

8. stlrider

stlrider

Great pictures and history. They say the Packard plant was once a mile long and that the old Fisher body paint booth still has the overspray on the walls.

The Ford and Chrysler plants here in St.Louis didn't even get to rot in peace. Ford is completly gone and Chrysler plant is slowly being ripped down. Those two plants were major job market for St.Louis.

The Union bashing really? Go in and work a line job build 575 cars in a day in 100* temp then say they don't deserve the money! Retired Ford union.

It is sad! :(

9. bartikus

bartikus

great photo's but i always hate to see what happens to historic buildings that are left vacant. the 2 pic's that really got to me are the ones from the elementary school in 2008 and then again in 2009. it looked like a bunch of people thought it would be fun just to destroy history.

10. Arominus

Arominus

I would think it was scrappers, those chairs were cast frames. Someone got a lot of weight out of there.

11. rougebeats

rougebeats

I agree. All the lights were gone as well.
    Although Im not a scrapper, I did see a lot of money sitting in that old dentist office photo.

12. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

13. Never2low

Never2low

Well Detroit isn't all bad, I hear there is still a ray of sunshine near Telegraph road.:D;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! My mom just bought a house on the "other" side of it.. :D

15. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

16. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! She's an angel... :)

17. fantastic photography but what amazes me is the stuff left behind like in the dentists office and the public library. Almost a statement on todays throw away society.

18. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

19. Deuces

Deuces

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The per-capita income of Detroiters was once the highest in the country.

I heard recently that the current population of Detroit has fallen to what it was in 1911.

According to a city representative, Detroit has 60,000 buildings in need of demolition.

Most people don't know that before cars became the big business in the area, the city was know as the home of the country's largest producers of cast iron cooking and heating stoves. Prior to that it was railroad related manufacturing.

At one time Detroit was a big deal. At this point the most notable statistics relate to crime, corruption, and deterioration.

21. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

22. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

How about whats left behind in the DPD crime lab.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110527/NEWS01/105270414

23. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

24. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

25. Deuces

Deuces

26. Deuces

Deuces

That place looks like the Munsters or Adams Family house...
    CREEEPY!! :eek:

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like scrappers got the metal outta this one!! :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Deuces

Deuces

Them bastards! :mad:

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I used to live there,(8 years) got out in 89 and even after i knew it was time to GTFO..I still did Business there for the 2 major Rail Road companies, rehabilitating their cumbling Concrete Bridges..and GM's Boilers

My garage with tools & harleys and a perfect 68 dodge charger were arsoned, and put me in Detroit Burn Center for 3 weeks..it was time for me to go

Have been aproached by a certain demographic with a Trench coat on in August:eek:(he wasnt a flasher if you catch my drift?)..On a bridge job My Company was repairing, I used body language to notify him that I wouldnt be an easy take down..he continued on, thank God!

I have customers ask me if I pack, I have asked how they feel if I said yes, All of them feel a bit better, because mostly their companies policy is that they cant..

I dont stop for gas, and i dont use any of the services in the City, or any of the food stops or party stores.

But I do carry an extra magazine,, and it isnt Hot Rod or Kar Kulture;)

I have been in tons of Historical land marks, and asked to look at "fixing" some of them...most of them too far gone for any thing to ever come of them..
    stick a fork in it as far as im concerned, it aint coming back, at least not with the failure of who's running the place and how its been for the past 30 or so years..its been going down for a long time..they can have it

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

my dream to photograph right there. it's moving...and powerful. makes you think about how wonderful and hardworking this country used to be. now we rely on China and mexico and the middle east from our cars to our clothes.