Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. thehazguy

thehazguy

Detroit 1959 flag start Vette versus digger

Attached Files:

2. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Some HRM grabs

3. Anyone have any pics of the Hixon and Conway Super Karret injected altered? It is an orange roadster, 30's ? Did some searches but no luck. There is video of it on the Jackson Bros. Bad Fuel Altered video.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

get what together?

5. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thanks guys for understanding and a special thanks to Doug.

7. skywolf

skywolf

What can you tell us about this example of 3 wheeled madness Mazooma ?

8. skywolf

skywolf

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Kenny Ellis at San Gabe, early '60s...Scotty Fenn built the chassis, though Ellis had built previous 3-wheelers...car ran straight and strong.....Ellis went on to run a Chev twin gas-burner before retiring....was also a great dragster body bender

10. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks. Were there any specific rules regarding 3-wheeled dragsters ? You just don't see them that often.

11. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I don't think it would make the "approved" list under today's rules. Kenny was a regular at San Gabriel and we saw the car so often that no one even paid a lot of attention to it. It is a part of the "lore" that permeated the area in those days. Every week it was something new!

c

12. WCD

WCD

"Anyone have any pics of the Hixon and Conway Super Karret injected altered? It is an orange roadster, 30's ? Did some searches but no luck. There is video of it on the Jackson Bros. Bad Fuel Altered video. "

Try the Awful Awful Fuel Altered site. Google it and you will find the new URL. It might be in there. I recall seeing the car at Irwindale once when they featured an injected circuit event.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Problem is most of the guys on here cant tell the difference...

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have this car on video...

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, lets see if i can help out a little here...

Local car. A guy I know in Alberta has restored this...

Attached Files:

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Olds powered Fiat. Pipins & Torrez, R&C.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Too heavy to really be competitive, but what a beast. Hyder Bros.

Attached Files:

18. mow too much

mow too much

I've never seen this car George..................I kinda like it, different.:cool:

[​IMG]

19. Church Key

Church Key

I saw that car at Bakersfield. The body is second generation Topolino 49 to 57.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

As stated by others the Ellis car was a regular at the San Gabriel strip, which proceeded Irwindale's opening in 1965.
    San Gabriel was about as wild and rule-ignoring as the old Fontana strip on Route 66.
    San Gabriel also had a dragster with the first (that I know of) air jack rig that lifted the rear of the car off the ground on the starting line, the driver floored the gas and then he let the jacks down onto the pavement at full throttle.
    This was before Pete Robinson did it on the national stage.
    San Gabriel may have very well been the first strip to have a side-by-side run of two fuelers in the 7 second mark. Tommy Ivo's "Barnstormer" and the GBP car. And I can't even remember who won. :confused::(
    Also the fabled race between Ivo and the "Untouchable" jet.
    It was a strip in the middle of a couple of square miles of just rocks that were washed down from the "San Gabriel Mountains" over the past millions of years, thus all the rock crusher machines that are still there today.
    For those who do not know....the old track was on the east side of where the 605 Freeway is today at the east side of the freeway at the Live Oak offramp. Just 1/2 mile east of the Toyota Irwindale Speedway oval track of today.
    This was shot last January...the electric facility is the location.
    This is looking north-northeast straight up to where the Irwindale Drag Strip would have been from 1965-1977..about two miles up.
    [​IMG]

The strips of my youth (San Gabriel, Irwindale, Lions, Fontana) were bare-bones facilities...wooden bleachers with splinters, food was limited to hot dogs or burgers, and there were NO "hospitality suites" and the racers didn't have ropes and poles where only "the beautiful people" and the corporate money boys were allowed.
    The racers didn't hide in their motorhomes and semi-truck trailers in the pits. They were found under their dragster doing maintenance or repairs.
    They didn't need to be separated from the heaving masses of the unwashed public, because us in the public were polite, and would never ask for an autograph from someone carrying a 6-71 to a pickup truck tailgate for repair.
    And, the racers were hot-shot corporate celebrities....just guys out on the weekend going racing. Few, if any, did this to pay their bills. Most had regular jobs like you and me.
    To ask many of them for an autograph would have brought a reaction of embarrassment more than not. They were just regular "Joes" that knew they were the lucky ones who got to strap on the firesuit while the rest of us would run to the four foot chain link fence to curl our fingers through the wires and hang on next to the starting line.
    You hung onto the fence so you could clinch the fence with all your might so you wouldn't DARE use your hands to cover your ears.
    THAT was a big-time NO-NO in the company of your other 12 year old buddies. Like playing "chicken" with your own ears. Anyone caught covering their ears would be assured of being labeled as a "chicken shit" and your entire school would hear ALL about it on Monday morning.
    Oh, the shame....never happened to me, but DAMN it hurt sometimes to be that cool.
    Oh, to be 12 and 1963 again....glad I was there.....enough outta me...carry on :)

21. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Nicely done, Mazooma! In 1962 and 1963 it only took one visit to the river bed corner of Rivergrade Road and Live Oak Avenue to recognize the difference between gasoline and nitro.

c

22. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Very well stated. I would say that was the "golden age" of drag racing. :cool:

23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

There's a photo here somewhere of Prudhomme in his fire suit pants and t-shirt standing next to the Snake FC in the pits and signing an autograph for a kid. Prudhomme looks almost embarrassed--like Mazooma implies about the racers of old--as he signs the kid's program.

24. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Man, that's got to be one of the best-ever FED photos.

25. Gasser Madness

Gasser Madness

Mazooma...well said! Those were great times in great places!

Attached Files:

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Byron, is that you?

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, Vern Scholtz restored it, very slick.

28. Gasser Madness

Gasser Madness

But of course!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Had a blown fuel burning small-block in an outdated FE dragster chassis with a Corvette body dropped over it.Kind of like the old Austin & Grassi Cuda from my neck of the woods.
    Maybe someday I will be smart enough to figure out how to get VHS tapes downloaded onto my computer. Guess i should take all that stuff in to someone and get it burned to disc.

30. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Damn Zooma you nailed it there, I was either along the fence with ya or down in the pits working on the club car. I used to be able to hear the cars down at San Gabe when I was in bed up in San Dimas. Lotsa old memories there