Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

els likes this.
  2. crowman

crowman

I am just glad I did get to see them run, 1978,79,80,81 at the Spring Nationals and Indy, though I was not at the 81 Indy race.
    It is a shame there wern't good video recorders and stuff back then, I'd love to see old footage, there is some on YOU-TUBE, type in modified eleminator and some come up, a small sampling.
    Those guys could drive a race car, man they would have the wheels in the air every shift, some 2 feet every shift and the sound...........I need a clean x...............Gordon
    PS. what really upsets me is every time I see super gas, that class just sucks when you look back at what modified was. That is a slap in the face of every paying fan at a National event, keep that crap and get rid of modified..........sorry I got carried away

els likes this.
  3. Larry T

Larry T

I'll agree with Gordon that there is nothing about the the super classes (street/gas/comp) that remotely resembles the heads up modified eliminator classes. They are more of a bracket class that everyone dials in the same et.
    I guess I've put out some misinformation in a couple of my previous posts. I was thinking that the gasser classes ended in the mid 70's, but that was only blown gasser classes that ran in Competition Eliminator. Apparently, the lower gas class that were in Modified Eliminator were around with the MP classes until Modified Eliminator went belly up in 81.
    Larry T

els likes this.
  4. crowman

crowman

Larry, here is a run that has been etched in my head forever, Columbus Spring nats a candy red 67 A/MP Camaro, I can't remember the names but the 3 names made a tri angle on the door. He's in the right lane the motors screaming when the light turns green and this thing goes up on the back bumper and he stays in it, it slowly starts to come down and as soon as the front tires touch, BANG second gear and right back up as far as it was in first, I notice it heading alittle left still in the air and moving!! it starts down and when the tires get close again, BANG, third gear and straight back up, the center line is starting to get close now and he coming down, the tires just touch and BANG fourth gear and he's right on the line and going back up in the air, he is now past the 1/8 mi and moving fast but the front is just starting to come down and he is now in the left lane and pulls fifth gear to a three foot wheelie and just motors down the other lane, he never lifted once !!! I don't know why that has stuck with me for so long, I can still see it plane as day. MAN you just don't see that any more, I miss it.
    I did pick up an Opel GT body for my next project, I am going to make a clone of the ol Wayne County Speed Shop car, B/G with a stick.:D
    I don't know if I can drive a stick car like they did in the old days but I have to try it before I die. Gordon

els likes this.
  5. I don't think you got carried away..

els likes this.
  6. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  7. thehazguy

thehazguy

Few from 69 or 70

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  8. thehazguy

thehazguy

Few more coupes

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  9. thehazguy

thehazguy

Nice D/Gasser Driver looks kind of young though

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  10. thehazguy

thehazguy

Couple more gassers from the day 69/70

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  11. thehazguy

thehazguy

Couple more

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  12. surf-n-drag

surf-n-drag
    from norcal

dig the dual purpose Sting Ray. Runs C/Sports at the drags and B/Production on the road course.

els likes this.
  13. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

My dad used to run modified production back in the late 60s early 70s.. in nj, Pa and surrounding areas,had a 64 falcon sedan delivery with a 300 six that ran best time of 11.02.. we been looking for ages for pictures.. I still got his race motors and carb set up hopeful one day I can put em together and let him take a couple runs down the track again at atco or something..

els likes this.
  14. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

thehazguy & Islandworker,

Thanks for the great pic's!

Eddie

els likes this.
  15. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

cool stuff!

els likes this.
  16. thehazguy

thehazguy

Few more Mod Production/Gassers

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  17. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Maybe in black, but what my 55 dream 55 would look like...[​IMG]

els likes this.
  18. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

If this car doesn't say BAD ......
    I look at this car and imagine what it would have been like to be on the line on a Friday night under the lights - your on a stage but no one can see you - rpm set on KILL - then you dump the clutch! Could it have gotten any better!?

Eddie

els likes this.
  19. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Looks like Gordon Mattney ( Matttney Bros) AA/MS on the truck in background of Hurst's Cuda pic?
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  20. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

21. colesy

colesy

Still more Scotto & Blevins........

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  22. 340dust

340dust

I agree 1000% I was hooked when I was young and there never will be anything like it again! I wish there was , I was Bracket racing up to 2007 and it just is not same and that is a shame .....I had a 1966 Chevelle that was a F/MP car ,too bad I never got drive it. It was way ahead of it times for 1976 when I bought it. 4 link with a Dana 6.17 gears and Tubbed , 287 ci tunnel ram -with liberty shifted Mopar A-833 trans Wish I would have got to drive it...

els likes this.
  23. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

GONE is the day you would get "goose bumps" watching (and listening to Lee Shepherd launching his Reher-Morrison engines at 12000Rpms and slick shifting at 11000RPM. He was doing that when the normal range was 7-9000 for most of those cars!!
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Ray Testasecca C/MP running at Dover Drag strip in NY early to mid 60s. Still looking to get in touch with Ray if anyone knows of him.

Thanks Pat

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  25. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

earl..is that you? The wop??

els likes this.
  26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I remember this car but with a different paint job? Any other pix of this wagon?

els likes this.
  27. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Here's one to give Pete a little more ammo...too bad it wasn't sponsored by Weed Chevrolet ;)[​IMG]

els likes this.
  28. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

29. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That was a common seen back in the day.Everybody else loaded up on the trailer and Fred Hurst waiting on the call for the next round.

els likes this.