Register now to get rid of these ads!

washer dropped down the water port!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marx, Jun 1, 2011.

1. marx

marx

So here I am admitting to it world wide: I went and dropped a 3/8" washer down my front water port of my 324 Olds Rocket. Was bolting up the chains to pull the motor out, the intake and carbs were off, and I watched that sucker drop down in slow motion, "nothin' but net" perfection and right on down the port. Uhm...anybody got any helpful suggestions? Looks like I'm pulling the head off, yeah? I already tried rolling it upside down on the stand, but to no avail.

2. Use some mechanics wire, take a pair of needlenose pliers and bend a little hook on the end you send in the hole. You could also possibly magnatize the wire. Simple trick is to use a old speaker, large magnet on back and rub the mechanics wire across several times. Good Luck, TR

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Since the engine is out, I presume you are doing some work to it.
    If the above suggestion doesn't work, might as well take it apart anyways.
    No Harm, No Foul!

4. Probably thee best advice right now, is to walk away from it and have a cold one. ;)

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have seen freeze plugs inside the engine with no problem, but we all have to worry about something. I worry about distilled or tap water in radiators and what brand of oil filter to use. LOL

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then find the best Stud you have and put it by the port. That Washer might be feelin a lil randy and might jump up on it ;). Sorry must be the beer talk'n :D.

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The washer has a hole in it as to let the water to flow thru it....right? Okay just kidding but traditions has the answer... if it is possible it should work.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

How about 120 lbs. or so of compressed air, while you rock the engine around and hope it finds its way out the bottom via air pressure and gravity?
    If you have a CO2 bottle and a trigger fed hose you'll get several hundred lbs. of pressure.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Water port in the head, right? Should be able to get it out with one of them magnetic flexible things. How far could the washer go?

Or you could just put a garden hose in one of the other ports and see if you can force it out the port it originally fell in with water pressure, IOW's back flush the thing.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

good luck using a magnet with a cast iron block....btdt - gts...you'll have enough trouble pushing it down the hole...and you'll have to continually bring it back up unless you have super-hearing ('click').

I like the let it go idea...it will find somewhere to sit for the rest of the engine's life. It does have a hole in it after all.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My retrieving magnet has a plastic casing that helps some with the side attraction. It will probably will take a bunch of dunking and a little luck but what the hell?

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the speedo cable to go into my trans. It would start on the gear but not go all the way home. I finally got out the magnet and sure enough a 5/16" nut had fallen from above, lined up perfectly with the hole and made a ringer in the drive gear in the trans. A one in a million shot. I have no idea when it happened.

12. slammed49

slammed49

Leave it,dont stress or waste your time....I dropped a 5/16 x1 in a SBC valley area,it was mine so I left it...ran like a champ and probably still is...it will find a home and stay put....my .02 cents

13. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

When i was taking the new engine for the 53 apart, the distributor was the last thing i removed because it was so rusted on i had to let the Marvel oil seep. just as im tapping the bottom of the dis with a hammer, a small washer that was sitting on top of the thing fell off, hit the valley pan lip on the block and went right down the lifter journal i just cleaned out. Heard it clink twice in the engine, hope the reason there wasnt a third, is because it landed in oil. :rolleyes:

14. As long as there's no chance of it messing up the water pump or clogging a passage, you can probably forget about it.

15. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Forget about it. It can't hurt a thing.

16. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Turn the motor upside down and shake!

17. aus55

aus55
    from down under

get it out, i cooked a motor cause someone knocked a welsh plug in and it eventually found its way up to jamb up the thermostat

18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If it's in the head, it'll never make it to the water pump. Worst case it might migrate to the thermostat at which point you'd know where it was immediately.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Telescopic magnet... If you got time to drink a beer, you got time to fish that washer out! Good luck!

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Need to get that thing outta there!!! Head gaskets are much less expensive than a new engine!!:cool:

Get one of those mini cams that you can snake down and see where the washer is at, then use a stiff wire and pull it out.:rolleyes:

If you pull the head, you might find something wrong you didn't bargain for.:eek:

21. marx

marx

Funny you say that: i got it on the engine stand and rolled it upside down. No luck though.

22. marx

marx

Liked this one too, so I tried it! No luck. Even tried back flushing it upside down.
    Grabbed a couple cocktails and some wire, pulled up a barstool and fished for a while last night. That sucker is in there good. Can't seem to find it.
    Lots of opinions on leaving it or not. I can't make my mind up definitively one way or the other. Though with my luck, as it has always been, I'll be the guy blowing a hole in the block 300 miles from home. And I'll be hoofing it along the highway knowing exactly why I'm walking...
    Might be worth the price of head gaskets...

23. Greezeball

Greezeball

Are you 100% sure it went in. I had the shifter out of a T5 and swore I knocked a screw down the open hole. Well I pulled the trans tore it down, no screw.:mad: Putting the trans back in the creeper hits a speed bump, it's the screw.:rolleyes:

24. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

How much does a 3/8 washer cost?
    Just go down to the hardware store and buy another one!
    :D

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

You haven"t said yet why you pulled the engine in the 1st place. Pull the head and get it out and be done with it .might be a good idea to do both head gaskets.Leaving bolts,nuts,washers and even freeze plugs that a dummy didn"t take out properly and left it in the block is just Shade Tree 101. Lazy.

26. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

If you can't fish it out of the head, maybe it went all the way into the block. Do you guys recommend he get a new block "just in case"?

Worst case scenario (and highly unlikley) is that somehow this rogue washer makes its' way to the thermostat where, if anything, it would stick it OPEN.

Balance this against the time and cost of yanking the head, not to mention the can of worms you're opening...and the answer is pretty obvious.

Good luck!!

27. 1320/150

1320/150

Anybody ever wonder how the candy "life savers" got its name????:rolleyes:

In all seriousness,I would want it out of there!! Probably wouldn't hurt nothin,but i wouldn't want to find out the hard way!!!

28. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

Get one of the flexible magnets or take some good 3m electrical tape that's soft and ball it up and around th end of a copper coat hanger and go to town.

29. marx

marx

Holy crap, that's the funniest thing I've read in days!!