Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Pontiac Mild Custom Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52pickup, May 31, 2011.

1. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

....4 door! :eek: :eek:

So I picked up this car a couple years ago, and had big plans for it. I was going to get it going in a couple weeks and make it my daily driver... :rolleyes: Wellllll.... life got in the way. Work, kids, you know the routine.

Any way, fast forward to the end of April when I was hit from behind in my daily driver. It was totaled out, and I got a nice little payout. Seeing as how I'm kinda floating between jobs right now I figured this would be the perfect time to jump on the Pontiac!

Fair warning - I SUCK at taking picture as I go, so you'll notice some gaps. Also, all these were all taken with my phone, so quality is marginal, at best... If you guys show some interest I'll try to take my camera to the shop to get some better pictures.

Here is what it looked like when I found it

[​IMG]

Between when I purchased it and the beginning of this big push I got a few things done. Started filling trim holes and such. This pic is from May 11 when I got it to the shop.

[​IMG]

I started disassembling and one thing leads to another and next thing you know it looks like this :eek:

[​IMG]

Next I focused on the body. Got all the trim holes filled, shaved the bumps on the passenger quarter (I had done the drivers side previously), shaved the front parklamps to clean up the grill, and frenched the headlights.

[​IMG]

Most of the filler work done and primed

[​IMG]

Then I got it all blocked out and added some color! This is just a blue epoxy primer because there are still some more body modifications I want to do before the bottom gets shiny :cool:

[​IMG]

Then the top, and the dash got some gloss white.

...Which I don't seem to have a good picture of right now. I'll edit one in tomorrow.

The dash then got a LIBERAL dose of blue pearl, along with the column and a couple other interior bits.

Again, picture fail on my part, I'll add one in tomorrow.

And to bring you up to date, I got the chassis and the bottom of the car cleaned up and coated with some black epoxy.

[​IMG]

And back on those pretty wide whites that came with the car

[​IMG]

Hopefully tomorrow the body will go back on the chassis, and maybe start wiring it up with the Rebel Wiring harness I picked up for it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. volksjunky

volksjunky

Cool car ! Ours will match . Im shooting mine in blue DP untill the body is super cherry .

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

What... interest?? Heck yea we're interested!!! Looks like it's coming together quickly!!!

More pics!!

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

more pics!!!!

5. RayMiller

RayMiller

What shop is that at bart? You dont sell for snapon anymore? Looks good well have to cruise when your drivable.

6. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

So I got the body back on the frame today, but no wiring done. I got side tracked with the vent window assemblies. No pics of that yet, but here's the body going back on the frame

[​IMG]

And rolled out into the sun..

[​IMG]

Here's the pics trying to show the pearl I promised in the OP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, I had to hold up one of the beltline trim pieces that I polished up :D :D

[​IMG]

7. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Yeah, I jumped that ship a few months ago. I'm working out of a shop that I used to go to as a snapon dealer. Been doing sheetmetal work, mostly on muscle cars, but as soon as I get the Pontiac closer to wrapped up I'll be taking customer work.

And we will have to do some cruising for sure.

8. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

looks good man..

9. She looks great, even without the glass and chrome.
    Have you decided what you are going to do for a drive train?

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

That pearl/metallic/flake looks awesome!!!!!

11. volksjunky

volksjunky

Man, thats exactly what I was gonna do to my roof for the summer, had the paint left from another project.Back to the drawing board...

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice job....and a cool ride!
    Enjoy.
    Cheers..........

13. Sweet! I like it, but I'm partial to four doors and Pontiacs.

14. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it will make a most excellent taxi!.... whatcha-got over there to the right, a 66 chevell? .... nice garage btw.

15. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

It's getting a 283/th350, because that's what I have that I know is good to go.

Only the dash got the pearl... for now. While I was spraying the white on the roof I noticed a few imperfections that I know I won't be able to live with long term, so I decided not to waste the pearl on it. Coincidentally, the white is some single stage that was left over from the truck that got totaled.

Got wires routed today, started getting the dash put together, taillights are in. I took my camera in today... and the battery was dead. Of course it has a stupid proprietary rechargeable battery. I have it charging right now, so hopefully I'll get some better pics tomorrow.

16. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Seems like low-cost righteous wheels to me.

It hardly seems like that cherry picker could raise the chassis like that without tipping over!

17. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Yep, that's a paying job that I should probably be working on instead of the Pontiac. :rolleyes: Got a 1 piece trunk pan, and its getting both 1/4 skins, and a couple other small patches.

It's going to be a taxi alright. I have a couple kids that I be driving all over in this.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  18. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I got the steering column wrapped up yesterday. Reassembled the turn signal switch assembly and shifter assembly after I had taken them completely apart for paint and got them installed on the column.

[​IMG]

I also got more wiring done. Rerouted most of the harness after I decided I didn't like how I had done some of it the day before. Got the majority of the dash wired in. Headlight switch, ignition, turn signals are done. I need to build a gauge cluster sub harness and all the wiring from the dash back will be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the terminals I am using are the uninsulated type. They are all crimped, soldered, and heatshrinked before I consider them done.

[​IMG]

Also, I have been putting pictures in an album on here. There are a couple that I haven't put in the thread, if you want to see more.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011