Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow! that's looking cool!!!!

2. Damn straight a chop like no other. We may be onto something we may not but as long as it all turns out cool in the end I'm happy. Thanks guys. Keep checkin in to see progress.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. Cool Kyle I have fri sat sun off and probably just going to work on in all weekend so drop round anytime mate.

4. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Gee you guys really hit it hard!! I really do think that that is a perfect chop.... It's got a superb height and rake. Right on!

Looking forward to checking it out at Newstead in October!

HC.

5. yeah thanks buddy, we had a crack and really got into it, im loving the shape its taking, its funny 4 weeks ago i said to texas and his girlfriend promise me you wont let me take the engine out or do anything to crazy dtright away so i can just drive it and make sure its right to go to chopped, but hey that aint much fun and look at it now, itll be there, rain or shine, drive or trailer ill get it there. bring on the dirt drags............

6. YURNGA32

YURNGA32

That's lookin awesome mate. lookin forward to seein it in person.

7. oh you will Ebo you will..........

8. 68wagon

68wagon

that looks awsome great job on the chop

9. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Looks killer .... keep up the good work

Grommet

10. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

11. Thanks guys, really hapy with it. We are doin some more sat arvo/night coming up so I will post more so u can really see it take it's new shape.
    DES

12. the hacker87

the hacker87

oh man you cant cut up a coupe itwill never work out shouldnt have wrecked a perfectly good car!!!! thought it was about time i get onto this shit lol

13. XM_HADDY

XM_HADDY

Lookin sweet Des! good job to you all!! Can't wait to see it finished!

14. ha ha ha, i got scared then for a sec till i realised it was u, the main culprit behind the chop, yeh we fucked it, you should never cut anything up at all lol, nice to see you on here ahron, seeing as i see you every second day now anyway. get over here and lets finish this chop son.
    elphinstone - ELDORADOVILLE

15. thanks haddy, we'll have it done sometime soon, going pretty hard on it so should all turn out cool.
    cheers

16. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Hey man when the chop is done you should take a trip to coffs harbour, damn work won't let me near mine . I figure the speed you guys work it could be rego'd in a couple of days ha ha.
    Good work , lookin good dude.

17. ha hah a, that would be fun, you supply the beer food and somewhere to stay and ill drag the guys there no worries.

18. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Ha ha better warn the neighbours one of them hates me already might as well piss the other one off as well.

19. ha ha ha, ive got my house with the shed on one side and a bit of land on the other side, the one on the top cops all the noise from the shed, hammering, grinders, music, flathead v8 reving all that sorta shit and he lost it, and ive got the block side were on occasion we have been know to do some donuts in the paddock under the influence untill early hours of the morn, i aint to popular round here anymore, but thats half the fun lol.

20. hey any of your shoebox/spinner guys that are watching my thread, i am finding it hard to decide what to do with my bootlid, and ideas or pics would be cool, custom in some way, or even just nice smoothed ones on chopped cars, mine looked fine before the chop now i think it may need to be fully smoothed and the number plate moved to the rear bumper.
    cheers guys

21. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

ha ha yeah im in the middle of metropolis .Im that guy with the noisy cars that everyone hates .especially the moormans two doors up haha. how about smoothing the bootlid and putting the filler behind a flip down plate .

22. ha haha funny you should mention that, this arvo i took the fuel filler out and cut and welded it down to size so i can fill up in the boot and the fuel flap will be shaved this week, probably ill smooth it but have to make my mind up yet.

23. swazzie

swazzie

The number plate on the bumper with a plate frame from say a desoto or a kaiser around it would be awesome... love the build . Cheers from the other side of Earth !!!!!

24. Yeah that could be the go I reckon, a nice number plate surround. Just not as easy to come buy in aus, thank god for American eBay.
    Thanks from the other side of the earth ha ha

25. early day off work due to strike, it looks like us lineys want more money, ha ha ha, i just like the early day cause i can work on my shoebox,
    a little bit of inspiration from mr Chris Casny's thread and im starting on the seams and figuring out whether to peak them or just smooth them, also a bit of work on the flatty and going into waddingtons tonight to start messing with my qaurter window panels with brother Jeffree. will post pics will be a productive weekend as i leave for the states for a month in 4 weeks so i want to get as much done as possible and save some more vegas gambling money.

26. in the time waiting to do more on the roof and in between stripping parts for the flatty i removed the seam down the top of the rear qaurter panes and got is all cleaned up and grinded a bit ready for a metal bar that i plan on welding down it to create a peak down onto the frenched tail lights, should look nice unless i change my mind and just weld and smooth it but i think a peak could look cool, i also got a bit carried away and stripped most of the rear qaurter panel to see how much if any filler or layers of paint there is, or rust repair, so far so good, a little filler in a spot over old paint which i cant really work out why it was there, i am no panel beater but i cant feel any low spot there but who knows till i run a file over it, the bottoms of the qaurters are completely rust free, ever time i do more to this car i feel i got a better and better car.

Attached Files:

27. i also got the fuel filler panel ready to be shaved and cut down and welded the filler neck at an angle so i can fill in the boot, will probably change fuel tanks one day if it gets bagged but this will work and is neat enough,

Attached Files:

28. AV88

AV88

hey dude ive been watching from the start, love it , i have a 51 shoebox and have smoothed the top of the rear quarters and smoothed the gravel pan where it joins the piece under the deck lid and have smoothed the bootlid its easy ive done it three times now ,take the handle off put a piece of paper of the half moon shape with tape rub ya dirty hands over the edge and cut it out (thanks bob bleed) then make it outer steel and weld it and for a catch i used a boot latch from a holden commodore but has to be a cable release put the latch on the boot floor and have a wire hang under your car and put the striker on the boot lid, michael ahrens showed me these tricks i hope this helps some cant wait to see it at newstead this year and tell ryan ford ashley says to shave his beard will be ruff on my nuts

29. Subscribed!! sweet build and love all the picks! keep it up! :)

30. ha ha ha ha, his fucking beard gets outta conrtrol, i see him all the time and he goes "na thats it had to shave be beard off going for the clean look" then two weeks later its back again, ill make sure i let him know cause i here ya, my nuts are getting abit that way to, ha ha
    thanks for the info, micheal is full of knowledge its great, yeah i always though a commodore one would look the trick, what are we talking though like anything up to vl or something, vs has the button in the glovebox that might work too, just have a button under the car at the rear bumper, i just have to make my mind up about what i wanna do with the botlid, i am thinking about fabricating a custom number plate surround out of bar and sheet metal so it can have a peak soming down and match the top of the qaurter panels, feel free to tell me any other useful spinner info, its all appreciated and put in my memory bank.
    keep watching mate, hopefuly this roof starts taking shape this weekend and next.
    des