Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interior and chrome in Tijuana?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ImpulseBuyer, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very nice work for a very good price-Thanks for post. understand same type of thing for chrome, just need someone that knows where to go to-most of the bumper guys at swap meets get their stuff done in Mexico.

2. The Gambler

The Gambler

thanks for the info...let us know how the chrome goes..

3. We have a plant in Mexico and trying to find "Good" chromer's that are reliable isn't like it used to be. They do have their own version of EPA type regulations now. Not saying it can't be done, just not as Easy, Cheap, or Good as the old day.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not to be rude, but how did you pay? credit card? surely taking that much ca$h across the border would raise some eyebrows

5. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Ive sent 3 jobs to Mexico for chrome work. Each time Ive had issues getting back what I sent. The chrome looked good enough but parts came up missing and the wrong stuff was given back to me. I had a set of model a rear bumpers sent down and got back a 28 rear and 30 rear... I never did get it straightened out. Might be different if you do it in person? I had them come up and do all the export import stuff for me. I really dont know what the answer is... 3 times Im out. Pay out the nose and wait awhile and get it back done right, or roll the dice. :rolleyes: let us know how it goes...

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

There's a place called Pacific Plating that's on right next to our shop.
    The guy is basically a chrome broker.
    I saw a list of the shops he uses, about 6 it looked like.
    Each one specializes in a type or size of chrome/nickel/polishing/repair.
    (bumpers, sheetmetal, faucets etc.)
    Whoever hammered on my '29 grille shell did an excellent job,
    I thought it was a nickel plated repop when it returned.

The rest of the stuff was thicker steeled stuff,
    so only had to be polished/nickeled.
    The best part was it had a copper-nickel not nickel-nickel,
    which is supposedly a stronger bond.

Anyway I'm sure he made money on me,
    but everything was returned properly and that was the most important.
    It did take alot longer than the month he said but there was other work to do anyway.

I guess my point is,
    try to find a chromer that specializes in the work you want!

TP

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Hey mark,it was my pleasure to take you down and get the job done.Got to dispell the urban myths associated with the TJ interior.I have taken alot of rides down there and never had an issue.Carrying cash across the boarder isnt a problem if no one knows you have it,you wear a big sign saying what you got it ,then your a target,same goes if you did that anywhere.As for chrome in San Diego i deal with escondido plating and there do all the chrome on site with no bullshit attitude or prices.Pacific plating take there chrome to TJ,escondido plating even gives you a tour of the place to watch the process at work,talk to Don he is the man.Check my ride out to see if his chrome is any good....So anyone else want to go,i am down for when ever!

8. coop ED

coop ED

Hey Aussie boy (Hombre's Ruin), remember who you turned on to that shop. lol count me in. I am down to go down again. I went on the original trip when Paul couldn't make it. some sorry ass excuse. lol I know of a good plater as well here in Chula Vista. you drop off US side goes down and returns in a week. Did my Shoebox bumpers and repaired them for $150 a piece. they have been chromed for 3 years plus. Check them out if you see me around. LIke Hombre's ruin says no problem going down or taking money or crossing border. Customs could care less about your car or work done.

9. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I use Commercial metal polish in Buena Park, Ca. they do all the polish and prep there and then ship to TJ for the plating. Looks great, it just scares me sometimes if its a rare or expensive piece, It may not come back

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thanks hug your the man. The best thing you you ever told
    Me. Remember ink n iron coming up

11. ImpulseBuyer

ImpulseBuyer
    from San Diego

It's Mexico bro. You can buy a hand grenade if you want. Cash
    Money my friend. It would raise more eyebrows if i DIDNT have cash.

12. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Nice interior! Im glad you decided to go.

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Damn! I need to move to So. Cal. That interior is sweet.

14. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

did that include the materials like carpet padding, foam for the seat, all the carpet and vinyl ? or did you have to bring your own.

15. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I got a guy in Santee that runs a fabrication shop...his chrome guy comes by a couple times a week picking stuff up and returning it. The chrome guy is a TJ broker (like was mentioned in an earlier post) so he just picks up the parts, quotes a price, and delivers the finished parts a week later. I had a 56 Chevy front bumper done for $300 and a 53 Ford F100 grille (with 6 bullets and V8 emblem) done for $390. I am very pleased with the price, quality, and the short turnaround time.
    Equality Plating in La Mesa was just bought out by the guys who used to run Lemon Grove Plating...I hear that the pricing is much better and the turnaround is not as long.

16. geemann51

geemann51

I guess that goes to show you, you can't always believe what you hear. I have heard for years, that if you go to TJ you'll get screwed. I went to Oklahoma and got fucked. Sure wish I would have went to TJ....

17. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Socalmerc it did include all the carpet padding and seat padding and fixing the springs on the seats

18. VonWegener

VonWegener

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Garza's in the city of Walnut in the San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles.
    Very nice work and prices and turnaround comparable to that Tijuana shop.
    Like on an "overhaulin" episode it is all about manpower.
    Very recommended!

19. Wish I lived closer ! My Nomad bumpers could use plating. I need a headliner and door panels done as well. Nice interior !

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That is awsome! What do you figure you saved.....half?

21. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Garza's is in LaPuente, not Walnut.

Garza's Upholstery
    14960 Valley Blvd.
    LaPuente, CA 91746
    (626) 333-7214

I've used them twice; one time I was very happy and the other time I was ecstatic .... both for price and turn-around time.

22. rodnut1

rodnut1
    BANNED

I had the interior done in my '55 Chev 210 2-door post car down in TJ back in 1968 when I was discharged from the Navy in S/D. I had everything I owned in the car, and was heading back home to Seattle when I decided to have this done.

I crossed the border and just started looking for shops. The one I found was a small plywood shack just off the highway out in the desert, with a big UPHOLSTERY sign out front. I pulled in, talked to the guy in charge for about 10 minutes on what I wanted, and we shook hands. About 3 guys came walkling out and started unloading my stuff. I remember thinking, they're going to fold up this shack and disappear with all of my shit! Nope, they stacked everything very neatly on a big tarp, then covered it all up with another tarp. Then they stripped the interior clean, recovered the seats, door and kick panels, package tray, headliner, sun visors and made up new fully bound carpets. All upholstery was done with black U.S. Naugahide with all the seams fully piped. The seats were done in the stock 210 style, and the job was absolutely beautiful! They re-loaded all of my stuff, I paid them the agreed upon price of a whopping $175. In less than 5 hours the work had been completed and I was on my way home with a sweet new interior. That interior was still perfect when I sold the car a few years later.

23. Back in '68, $175 was a lot of money. Back then, $750 would have bought you a nice '55 Bel Air HT.

24. thesupersized

thesupersized

damn 1500 and 15 hours...thats a deal!!!

25. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

What are there prices like for a full job? What did you get done and what did you pay?

26. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I don't mean to stir up any drama, but can anyone report on how the TJ upholstery has held up and is that rebuilding old seat frames, springs, etc included in the price you quoted? I've seen TJ interiors that LOOK great, but on closer inspection the seats feel lumpy and don't support your weight well once you sit on them...

Again, just asking for info, not trying to badmouth anyone or any shops here.

I've gone to some of the shops down there and seen bodywork and upholstery and chrome from various shops...never been impressed enough to take any of my stuff down there...

Also, for chrome, I have heard horror stories about parts going MIA. I would like to report that I have had excellent work and customer service by Buena Park Chrome...had my front bumper done (straightened, shaved, chromed) in less than two weeks and were very competitive in pricing- in fact, close to what you would pay in TJ. Also, why not spend your money here and support industry in the great old USA? just sayin...

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

shoebox1950,i had my seats done at the place in question and i have seen other peoplels seats that have been rebuilt ALL of them are still standing and in perfect condition.These guys dont fuck around with wanting to shaft people.the work is top grade.Two guys here on the hamb that i took down had both seats rebuilt they were a rats nest,now they cruise in comfort.Its like anywhere you go even here in the states.You must choose wisely,you must see there work and talk to the guys before commiting your ride and money to them.The hamb is full of horror stories of shitty work from right here in the USA,this is not just TJ exclusive

28. ImpulseBuyer

ImpulseBuyer
    from San Diego

plus there are boobs in tj

29. vein

vein

we are all coming your way ImpulseBuyer!

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Mark you are on the money.... Chinese food?