Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox pic request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilkazeevil, May 30, 2011.

1. I know there are millions of pics of shoebox Fords out there, but I am not having much luck finding just what I am looking for. I am looking for pics of shoebox COUPES that are chopped and built as traditional customs. Lots of sedan pics, but not many coupes. Bought one a few months back and about to start on it, trying to get my mind right about it. Its already chopped and its a real clean job. Its a short trunk car, which kills me, I hate the lomg filler panel and will probably extend the deck lid. What have yall got for pics?

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If you are going to chop it, the long panel or catwalk helps when you lay the back window and shorten it a bit?

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

a chopped and sectioned coupe I'm working on as a bonneville car... Old picture. Has an Art Morrison chassis and a 331 hemi now.

Attached Files:

4. i maybe wrong probably am but i think all 49-51 ford trunklids are the same as far as deminsions go the roof is actually shorter on the coupes

since your coupe is allready chopped how were you going to go about stretching the trunklid?

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Here's my brother's chopped coupe:

[​IMG]

I'm sure he'll chime in on the details later on if you care to know.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i made this one into a hardtop. it helps open up the window line a little in my eye. its only chopped 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. just ignore the streetrod theme:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. Thanks guys, keep em coming. People have been telling me there are long and short trunk coupes, is this wrong? As for how to shorten it, I plan to simply move the body side of the trunk frame forward, torward the back glass, then take the skin off the lid, stretch the lid frame work to fut the knew opening, then reskin it.

8. Although not at all my style, that car is beautiful!

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

not my style either on this car, i would love to paint it black and some WW's. i could live with the modern interior if i had too if it was mine. ive never heard of a short trunk. just coupes or sedans, some coupes had fixed windows and some had popouts like a merc but thats about it as far as i know. the biggest thing about these is the rear sill area is already large, i think the blue ones window got laid and slid forward 2-3" .

10. check out my thread i am currently building my coupe and doin the chop may help, may not but its a different chop style for a coupe
    des

11. what we are doin is leavin the back window in stock location just laying it forward and then re-shaping the top of the qaurter window section to keep the same window size, it will look more like a turdor sedan but different, i dont like the qaurters ending up to small, it all on my thread hopefully it all looks nice, its looking cool so far.

12. Derek, your car looks great. My chop is already completed and a very nice job. It was actually done several years ago by my girlfriends grandpa who is probably the best metal man around here. He did it for one guy who traded it to another, who traded it to another, etc, etc. Derek, in pictures your sail panel looks much shorter than mine. Mine looks super long, like probably one and a half of yours pit together. I thought about cutting it down to like 6"-8" or something and extending the deck lid. I have three extra cars on hand to cut up for parts, so that helps things a lot. I also can't stand the external trunk hinges so I will be eliminating those as well.

13. Bump, theres gotta be more coupe pics out there. Also when I bought this car I asked if anyone has ever seen one with Caddy dagmars on the front. I know I've seen one in one of my books, but cant seem to find it. Anyone know?

14. Not chopped, but still, has "the look". This is the only picture we had of it. Built in '60-62. '58 Pontiac Engine with 3-2's, She had a perfectly peaked '51 hood, no bullet, and a chrome tube grille. all joints brazed, leaded, and Honduras Maroon. I'm duplicating now in my latest project.

[​IMG]

15. Dang, the pic doesnt show up for some reason.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Billy Gibbons has the baddest coupe of all. Just google Kopperhead Ford.
    The Baddest.....

17. Damn, I just looked it up. I cant believe I have never seen that before. Its perfect!

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yeah....Amazing what $$ will do!

19. Got any other pics of this one? Especially looking at it feom the rear?

20. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

My 50!!! Its chopped,slammed,frenched in tail lights,Channeld:(

Attached Files:

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

here is my '51 project-replacing engine trans now, plus much more.

Attached Files:

22. smarg

smarg

More pictures of that car can bee seen here, being my car and all. :rolleyes:

HERE: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8239

The rear winshield is chopped, very traditional. Mostly everybody punks out and lays the stock glass down thats tooo cheesy and half assed lookin'.

23. geemann51

geemann51

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep....that one is a real piece of crap. Can I have it?

25. Man, I just went back to work today for the first time since September. Although I am damn sure glad to be back at work I haven't been able to stop thinking about getting started on this shoe all day. That red and silver car is freaking beautiful! Anyone know of any 49-51 shoes using Caddy dagmars in the front? I know there is one out there, seem like it was green?????

26. geemann51

geemann51

I know the car you're talking about, I seem to remember it showed up in some of the Santa Maria coverage, though I couldn't locat it. Nice car but I personally think it's too heavy of a treatment for the mid size shoebox. Might I suggest some sectioned Cadillac bumperettes (49 I think - look up mthe Brian Bass Chevrolet as he did a blow by blow tech), they seem to fit the sproportions of the 49-51 best....

Also for reference, check out John St Germains 50; SHOEZE. That chopped coupe put shoeboxes on the map and was a huge inspiration.....

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Now that is one SWEET Shoebox !!!