Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I was fortunate to meet both Bob and Matt at the Sacramento Merc gathering. Great guys. Only wish they lived closer than SoCal. :)

Here are a few pics just for grins. You can see how high the car sat when I got it, but that it sits much better now with the rear blocks replaced and the new bubble skirts. The ghost flames, fake buick ports in the hood and hagan headlights will all disappear when I mess with the body. Hoping to put the chrome back around the front and rear windows soon, too.

Surprisingly, I don't have any pics of the interior or engine other than the ones I got from the previous owner. The flamed valve covers and air cleaner have been replaced with nice finned ones. I have a factory bench to replace the 85 something or other split bench that is in it now, but that's a project for another day. Like I said, the smoothed dash is now history and being replaced by this factory one I redid and has just been pinstriped by Ron Myers in Tulsa with all the Von Dutch striping from the Hirohata Merc. Should be back in my hands this week and I can't wait to see it. :) Also got to dump the flamed billet wheel and am putting in a Merc accessory wheel. You can see the nice firewall I uncovered from the 1/2 inch of bondo when I "un-smoothed" it. That is my where my hands are now before I can move forward. :)

Attached Files:

2. I like your bucket seats. I still want to run a set of buckets. (hopes that Bad Mofo doesn't see this post).

3. I really like the progress of your custom, it has turned from ugly to a good looking custom and I like it. I'm a 100% traditionalist in all aspects when it comes Merc customs and I've been that for more than 30 years.
    It is not my car but please take an advice: Look at a Merc bench seat once again, then you will discover that it will look one hundred times better in your car. Sorry to say, but those bucket seats would looks just as good as a 1980's van front bumper on a Merc...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  4. I did buy a bench and it's in my garage so in all likelihood I will use it, I'm a little bit joking. I was thinking of a style like that, maybe though reversed? What is the custom of the era, black center section or white center section? Oddrod did white center right?

5. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I just had my original seat frames redone in 3" oxblood pleats. I had thought about a two tone for a while, but I'm glad I settled on one simple color and I really dig the width of the 3" pleat.

Attached Files:

6. This will be my last car-not-here post. I should have it back to my house this week. Fingers crossed. I won't be touching the interior anytime soon unless I find a local guy who wants to do a little bit here and there.

7. agree with RPW, bench seat, all class and understated, love that example shown, here's the 49's bench (modified 65 caddy bench) in a simple but userfriendly black.....

[​IMG]

Despite feeling like a restorer of sorts, one of these days if we can find a 49 or 50 steering wheel, and adress our door trim and gauges issue, we will be closer to what these merc offers, a classic elegance like no other.

Cheers,

Drewfus

8. AWESOME! I know you can't wait to get behind the wheel and drive that thing. If I lived in Chicago, I'd meet you at the Sonic for a coke after you pick it up. :)

9. Here's some interior ideas for you,John...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Thanks for the pics Bad Mofo.

Some progress pics (Thanks Mitch and Larry)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. Getting close John can't wait to see it done!!

12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Woo Hoo!

13. You can see my sweet Honda bucket seats through the window... :)

14. Once the other vent window is cut down, I can pick up the car and do some driving.

15. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Go; go Johnny go! I want a pic of that thing in your garage in the month of June (2011)! :)

16. Great to see the detail

(no I can't....;):D),

but I can visualise a beautifully trimmed bench:D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

17. And flip some people off,hahaha!

18. Spooky

Spooky

Love it! Keep it going! I want a Mercury sOoOoOoOooo bad!

19. I'm swinging by to drop off some $ today, might snap some pics if it's conducive. Once the other vent frame is cut down ($ btw), I need to see about getting them polished or chromed... what is typical?

20. Wish me luck, I should be bringing the Merc home this morning. If traffic is not bad I'll take 90/94 back into the North side.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking about ya.. Looking forward to seeing some road pics with you driving
    the Merc. Once ya start you might not stop. The window treatment looks real kool.

Happy Trails, Mick

22. and......

Had to replace the battery...

Hood latch broke...

She's HOME!!!

So I got there right as Larry was opening, a big smile on my face, a big tote full of blankets, a hat, some coffee, and some tools in my hand

"Car isn't really running, I think you'll have to tow it home." - Larry

"Ah yes." - Me

Since a CarQuest was a few blocks away, I convinced the wife and kids to hang out for another 15 minutes, so we pull the old battery of indeterminate vintage, schlepped over to the auto store, and bought a new battery.

Car started right up... Yeahhhhhh!

Gas gauge not working, so I went to get gas. I was only able to put in like three dollars. Oh great, I have a tank full of gas that I don't even remember getting... could this gas be three years old??????

I was like fugg it, and got on the highway. I was super happy just doing 55 in the right lane until I noticed the hood swelling up an down about an inch.. Fugg it's unlatched. Pulled over, latched it. Another mile, up and down. Did it again. Unlatched again. Fiddled with the latch, handle broke off. Slammed the hood shut. It never opened for the next 1.5 hours that I drove the car.

That's right fellow Mercians, I drove the Midnight Dream about two muffergugging hours!!!! I only stopped because I had to cut the grass and buy stuff for my 5 yr old's t-b ball game.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo f'ing stoked. I drove Irving home starting at Cumberland... Got to my area, Addison and Western, thought about putting it in the garage... naw. Stopped by Joe's barber shop on Fullerton since I knew the HalfFastChicago guys would be in there. Showed the car to Joey Cac's and his dad.

Drove around for another hour.

Finally got home, backed her in, and let her sleep. I had to unhook the battery since my rear lights are staying on.

I took some pics, will load 'em.

I need a hood latch the part that bolts to the car!

I can hear something banging around at idle, probably exhaust. I don't care. Let that sh%% fall off. I got to drive the Merc for two hours.

Yeehaw!!!!

23. 'Mo

'Mo

BREAK OUT THE BUBBLY!!!

[​IMG]

24. Rikster

Rikster

25. That is awesome John!!!!! Congrats.

26. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Awesome... I'll have to find you one evening around Chicago so I can see it in person.

27. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Awesome John! If you're ever in the area cruise it by the shop so I can check it out.