Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37 Ford RC

37 Ford RC

The b&w photo you have marked (Pocono) is actual from Trenton 1971, I took that photo, he also set fast time for the day with a 39.56 at 136.501mph. I am curious how did you find this photo please e-mail: [email protected]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

None of my business, I don't think, but it might help if you were to give folks here a hint about to which one of the 10,000+ posts, and even more images, on this thread you're referring.
    Maybe Bodine car in #10177?

3. Zoera

Zoera

This photo (a very good one at that) has obviously been circulated on the net, and as a result is considered public domain. The photographer is entitled to credit however, but only if we know who he is. It seems to be the one two pages back.

4. Stan Brodie

Stan Brodie

Hi All! I have been looking through this forum for quite some time now and have really enjoyed stepping back in time to the days of racing that I recall as a kid!! Thanks for all the pics and info that has been posted. I have a few I would like to share....the black and whites were taken at William Mason's Speed Shop and the colors were made today at a local auto parts store. Our dad would take me and my brother by Mason's Speed Shop occasionally and what a thrill to sit in those cars and have our pictures taken!!

Thanks!
    Stan Brodie

This was taken somewhere around 1966 - 1967
    [​IMG]

These were taken around 1972 - 1973
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Boy, that plain and simple paint scheme used by the Mason family team sure did become iconic in pavement Modified racing. I saw Paul Radford, Harry Gant, and Satch Worley wheel those 45/46 Gremlins in the 1970s, and by then that ride was already famous for carrying the likes of Perk Brown and Bobby Allison. Speaking as one of those damn Yankees, when I think of the all-time great Southern Modifieds the first cars that come to mind are the Tant/Mitchell 11, the Clarence's Steak House 26, the Speedy Thomas 07, and the always tough-looking Mason 45.

6. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Bones,
    I totally agree regarding how cool looking some of those Southerm Modifieds were. The Tant-Mitchell coupe was my all time favorite, but I loved the simplicity of the paint schemes on the Wm. Mason cars. When I was racing my Legends, I needed a simple paint scheme, since I was doing all my own work (including paint). I stole ideas from a lot of cool cars...the 2-tone paint from Wm. Mason's cars, the wife's name over the windshield from lot's of guys (Mike Loescher, Charlie Jarzombek, etc.), and of course....the # in a Shamrock from "Irish" Jack Murphy!
    Fitz

Attached Files:

7. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

These babies weren't bad either:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Here's a picture of my car at the Gary Wolford Fish Fry at Latimore last Sunday. Had a great time!

Attached Files:

9. ryder99

ryder99
    from nj

kathy bodine behind car

10. Captain History

Captain History

Is it 356 3/5 real pages?!?!? :rolleyes:

11. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

The forum software doesn't work like that.

Each page gets 5, 10, or 20 posts per page, regardless of how long the page ends up being.

The number of pages depends on how you have your forum options set up in your account.

For instance, I have mine set to display 20 posts per page, so this thread is 512 pages long when I'm viewing it.

If your options are set differently in your User CP, you will see a different total number of pages.

Quoting the guy above you, including all the pictures doesn't add to the page count, but it does make the page take longer to load, and require more bandwidth from both the HAMB and where ever that pic is hosted ('cause it gets loaded many times instead of just once). It also makes the forum database a little larger than it would be otherwise.

I've always been told that it's good etiquette to delete the images from a quoted post, so that the pages load faster, and folks don't have to scroll so much.

12. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

To add slightly to Coolhand's helpful comments, you, the one doing the quoting of another post, can edit that other person's post however you wish. If there's only one sentence on which you wish to comment, you can take out the rest of that post, just as you would when composing a post of your own text.
    In addition to helping to keep this great thread neater and cleaner overall, that editing of quoted material makes it easier for others to appreciate the point that one is trying to make.

Some forums are set up so that any image that is "quoted" from a preceding post will be automatically shrunk down and shown as a thumbnail. I don't know if there's a way for us users to do that here (without tediously recreating each image), or if it can be done by only the site administrators.

13. goodoledays

goodoledays

I so wanted to send in the same thought..I would bet ALOT of pages

GOOD call

14. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

Please check out Coolhand's post above, #10223.
    The length of an individual post (or any number of individual posts strung together) does not affect the # of pages. It will affect only the "physical" length of the page it's on.
    You can set up your system to have 5, 10, or 20 posts on each page. If you had 10/page, it wouldn't matter if there were 1,000 one-line posts, or 1,000 multi-image, multi-quote posts, your computer would still display 100 pages, 10 posts/page.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  15. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Geoff Bodine...the vega years. I believe Geoff debuted this car in 1974. It was another one of my favorite cars. Like the Valiant before it, the car looked fast just standing still...and it was.

A Fred Smith Photo...

[​IMG]

Racing with Graeme Bolia in the #15 at Shangri-La

[​IMG]

Racing with Bernie Miller #41 at Utica Rome

[​IMG]

another Fred Smith Photo

[​IMG]

At Fulton with Bob Sweeney in the #42 and Jerry Cook in the #38

[​IMG]

not sure if this is a Fred Smith photo or not

[​IMG]

I'm sure he got a lot of cheers from the CT crowd on this day

[​IMG]

At Trenton racing Gil Hearne #12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Spencet this time racing Norm Schmidlin #24 and Ron Martin in the winged #4

[​IMG]

16. why is it relevant?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  17. bigEkustoms

bigEkustoms

Good thing General Hospital went off the air! LOL

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

It did? Aw shit.

19. atleast we still got Oprah.....

20. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

No, "we" don't....she retired last week!

21. Some quick thinking Leadfoot4 :) all is good, housewives have nothing to watch, except to be brainwashed by The View.......................lol

22. "I've always been told that it's good etiquette to delete the images from a quoted post, so that the pages load faster, and folks don't have to scroll so much."

Thanks guys! I learned something about posting here. Mike <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

"Brainwashed by 'The View'....."

Man, you got THAT right!!!

24. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Quiet today. No posts since yesterday at Noon?

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I was thinking the same thing. Denny Z

26. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Just you and me, Denny, apparently!

OK, here's one of may favorite cool looking coupes. Art Barry's "Stump Jumper" from (I think) @1971 with the Frito Bandito (Bobby Santos) at the wheel. Pic from the Vintagemodified sit - not sure of photographer

Attached Files:

27. computer crashed and crashed hard....no photos:( for now:)

28. Agawam Speed Shop headers.

29. Zoera

Zoera

For the CT. fans, here's a couple photos of my late uncle and godfather, Michael 'Sparky' Belmont, who died in the pits on July 4th, 1968, after winning the 100 lap Plainville Stadium modified race.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st and 3rd photos courtesy of Dave Dykes 'Racing Through Time', 2nd photo from United/Riverside Park Silver Anniversary Album, photographers unknown

30. Zoera

Zoera

This is the Walter Kuryn owned '00' that Sparky drove to his last win at Plainville Stadium, although I don't know if it's him in this photo. The only clue is the script on the roof, which was gone when Tony 'Jap' Membrino took over driving duties after Sparky died. Photo courtesy of 'Plainville Memories' Facebook Page. Photographer unknown

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.