Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Pontiac custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volksjunky, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 510madmav

510madmav

2. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

looks real good! ill be in the garage the next few weeks sanding down my 51 chevy. i just got 300 60grit disc. im stoked to take it down to metal to see what i got to play with. this thread makes me want to tear into it now, but the neighbors would be pissed with the noise .

3. volksjunky

volksjunky

Thanks, something about posting around here definitely makes me want to step up my game a bit !

4. volksjunky

volksjunky

Ah, screw the neighbers ! as long as you work on it during appropriate hours they cant complain too much !

5. volksjunky

volksjunky

Well,its been quite some time since I did any updates to my build.Was having issues getting pics to upload for some reason but finally have it figured out. I decided to go with 55 Olds headlights, I really just disliked the factory lights.
    I started with just the rings, I made a skeleton from 3/16 round stock than wrapped it with 20 gauge sheet metal.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/volksjunky/1953%
    20Pontiac%20custom/IMG_0354.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also decided to do something a little differand with the grill surround, I used the existing top arch from the orinal grill and extended it about three inches using pieces i cut out of the old grill. I changed the angle and overall shape of the opening quite a bit. I just think it flows a lot nicer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I capped the ends off just to give everything a nice finished look.

[​IMG]

I also ended up replacing the passenger side rocker,it had a hell of a crease in it and I didndnt want to put a lot of filler in it. Glad I cut it out because it was a fricken mess !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also hade to patch the bottom of the drivers door,I ultimately will end up doing inners and outer on both doors this winter.

[​IMG]

I got the bottom part of the car sealed in DP and pulled it outside to get a good look at things. still lots of little things to iron out but all the big body work is coming along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right now Im concentrating on getting the hood done,I cut out the overlap and welded the hood solid..
    [​IMG]

I than made a filler piece to get rid of the stainless trim, sorry die hard Pontiac folks, but the shits kinda ugly and I want a custom not a resto !

[​IMG]

And thats where im at for now. Today I will be doing all the grinding and filling the holes from the original emblem.
    Oh, I also shortened the hood ribs by six inches, I will be rolling beads in some 20 gauge and carrying them on to the trunk later on.

6. volksjunky

volksjunky

Wow,over 2300 views and very few replies,guess if it was another 53 54 chevy people would be all over it...

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

good job with the metal. Makes me want to learn so bad.

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Nice work, looks like lots of fun!! Good on you for getting after it living in Alaska! I get sidetracked when it gets "cold" here in Southern California... Looking forward to seeing this one done.

9. nice project! keep up the good work.

10. Colville

Colville

This thing is looking great, Love these Pontiacs! That metal work looks fun!

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  11. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Now that is a repair to be proud of! Great build.

12. the lights

the lights

the metal work is amazing, good job.

13. Just found this one. Lifelong Pontiac fan. Couldn't find one I could afford, found my Buick instead. Looking foward to seeing how this progresses. Liking it so far. Get back on it .

14. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Really looking good! I like the stainless trim and Chief Pontiac on the hood but that's me. Keep up the great work. :cool:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work ! I love the grille opening!

16. volksjunky

volksjunky

Cool thanks for the replies guys ! Got the hood pretty well done and the first skim of mud on it,need to turn it around and do the trunk next.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good man!

18. sololobo

sololobo

Just lost me on the hood fill, good luck, I guess you did really want a chevy. ~sololobo~

19. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Looking good! You're doing a lot of the same things that I'm doing on my 52. I like your new grill opening.

20. layedout49

layedout49

Looking killer! What's next after the trunk ? Chop ? Suspension?

21. volksjunky

volksjunky

Yeah, I wanted a chevy with a really long hood and ribs on it ? Trust me I thought about it a lot , but the trim just doesn't fit what I want.
    Definitely not chopping it, can't mess with the hard top. As for suspension I can't get much lower without c notching it. I do already have a full air ride set up for it but won't mess with it till winter time .

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

22. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

very cool car, love those pontiacs....................john

23. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

WOOOAH THERE!

I just found this thread! Not only am I a fan of Poncho's, I'm lovin' where this thing is going...

Keep it up!

24. rodl

rodl

check this thread out - inexpensive & best way to go for stripping paint etc.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590133&goto=newpost
    U R one lucky dude picking up that coupe. I reckon the Ponchos look way better than chevies thru that period into about 58!:cool:
    Hope you pick up another job soon - times are tough.;)
    rodl

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  25. rodl

rodl

Ya gotta keep the waterfalls, that's the bit that makes it stand out in a crowd. :D What's the bidding site you mentioned, I'm chasing an instrument panel and LH side grille for a 41.
    rodl

26. volksjunky

volksjunky

LOl, thanks...

27. volksjunky

volksjunky

I already removed them, check out ebay Ive managed to find a lot of stuff !

28. volksjunky

volksjunky

This car is probably become my biggest ispiration for this thing, and it looks totally coo without the trim. I really like creating mysteries,I like people to have to look at something and try to figure out what it is. I have a Honda chopper that everyone stares at, 90 % of them have to ask what it is or if its a Triumph. The grill will actually have one of the chiefs from the rear quarters in it, and the turn signals will be the orinal back up lights.Im not trying to take away its heritage, im trying to make it MINE. Isn't that what building a kustom is all about ?

[​IMG]

29. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

What magazine was that in? Year/month?

Thanks, Rob

30. volksjunky

volksjunky