Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I "KNOW" this is a modern day car. But stolen Silver Crown cars are NOT going to help racing at all! That series needs every single car it can get.

2. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

With the number of trucks/trailers being stolen you'd think people would do more to protect their investment. I hope the proper authorities are on the case!

3. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

A few months ago two vintage sprint cars dissapeared on me. I posted on this site and asked for help. Within three days I got replies and calls from a half dozen posters on this site and was able to get them back with the info that was given to me. I was lucky the state police investigator was also a car guy and a great help.

4. racer5c

racer5c

Glad you got your cars back Stan, lets hope these folks get their stuff back!

5. TommyA19

TommyA19

I've read that quite a few trailer owners have some "ID" markings on the roof of their trailers to help in discovery via an air search.

6. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Thanks for the responses guys, and Brian thanks for posting the pictures. It is just a sad sad story. He put everything into that car. Truck trailer tools, all gone.

7. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Damn...I hate to hear about somebody's pride and joy being taken from them. We'll spread the word, hopefully it turns up somewhere.

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

Joe: That truck may have some form of factory installed GPS in it!! John S.

9. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

How sweet would that be? If it is there hopefully the thieves can't disconnect it!

10. steamer

steamer

I have a vintage Sprint or Midget trailer for sale. It's a dual axle and double tire rack set up, would look cool fixed up behind a vintage pickup or wagon. Send me an e-mail, I will send pictures. [email protected].

11. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi Guys, a wierd request,
    Does anyone have any information of a technical nature on "Nordern" carburrettors for sprint or midget.
    I have a pair here in need of rebuild.
    They are straight bore and the venturi effect is obtained by having an aero wing shaped butterfly (like the early Winfields?)
    The fuel discharges from the actual butterfly and is fed in down the hollow butterfly spindle and is metered by a needle valve of some sort at the non feed end of the spindle.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Many thanks Greg

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Related... I finally saw my first 500 last weekend. And the night before the 500 midgets and the Hoosier 100. Pretty good races, all. Sad to say the Focus midgets at the Speedrome were rained out. My life is complete. Gary

13. Got a chance to work on the car last week,and mounted the fuel tank.....this really was a big deal for me because I really did not know what to use.BZNEIL came to my rescue and sourced this tank for me at a local speed shop to him.Larry Fasse was the guy at the shop and he really went out of his way to help....a big thanks to both of them.I need to make some 'out riggers'to finish off the frame,and will build a steel 'cell' just in case.......I cant believe how helpful you guys are....it really helps..thanks

Attached Files:

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

You guys need to know that even if you don't pay for your"Onstar" type systems,they are still live in a lot of instances for the "listening" party at the other end!!! Shades of "big brother":eek:;):cool:!

15. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Compadre!

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

But if you wear a aluminum foil hat, it will disrupt their tracking devices and you can't be found. ;)

17. Racer12

Racer12

No way is your life complete until you see USAC sprints at Terre Haute! It got rained out thursday, so you were excused from attending! lol

Bob

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bob, perhaps.... but I did see them at Ocala FL at the start of the season earlier this year. 30+ cars and a great race. My grand parents lived just a few miles west of the Speedrome and I haven't been back since the early 60's... I was really looking forward to seeing that race last Wed night, dag nab it. My grandfather walked to work at the IH plant. Gary

19. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Black Vette. The tank looks like it was made for your car. That is a really clean mount for it. Mine already had holes drilled for mounting so I was limited in how to attach it. I like your mount much better.

20. sideways27

sideways27

Can anyone suggest where I can find some basic chassis setups for the old Beck sprint car I am completing. I am looking for both dirt and asphalt. (Torsion bars, shocks and ride height) Most of the books and info I am finding are for 4 bar and this old school sprinter ran spring front with horz rear bars with a jacobs ladder. I am familiar with TQ's and Midgets but little knowledge of a sprinters. I just know the setup on the car now is so stiff there is no weight transfer at all, almost like it is binding but I have checked it and can't find any binding just super stiff. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.:confused:

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Just ship out here along with your credit card number and I'll get it dialed in for ya :D Seriously, I don't know of where to find specific setup info, I suspect you'll just have to chase it around with different bars/shocks etc. like about any race car. Ask 10 different guys about set up and you'll probably get 10 different answers. One question is: was it run as a wing car in its later days? And did you replace the original bars/shocks with new stuff? Also, I see in your album it appears to have run asphalt in its later days, and if it's still sprung that way it could be problematic getting it dialed in on dirt or visa versa. :confused:

22. gearguy

gearguy

Naturally I can't locate my copy at the moment but there is a 1977(?) vintage book by Roger Huntington (I think) on sprint cars that has lots of info on the Beck cars. It is CRA mostly but has lots of details and great photos. I've had my copy since it came out but at the moment it is AWOL from the library. Try Amazon or maybe one of the motorsports publishing houses.

23. baldtireman

baldtireman

Guys Like Ron Rea and Johnny Anderson out on the west coast are still with us,and would be willing,I bet, to give you some set up "secrets" for that type of car. Steve "The Bopper" Stapp is also a probable source of info.:D

24. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks for the feedback, you have turned on some on my old dead brain cells and got me thinking. Your right some of the old timers are still around and I and will try to get ahold of them. Thanks again you are all a great source of info. :):):)

25. jsproctor

jsproctor

FYI, a set of the first 3 issues of Open Wheel Magazine (1980) just came on Ebay.

26. mzjkp

mzjkp

I am sure I can find some of those pictures. Richard Blacker owned the car and I am his daughter. My son has pictures and trophys of my dads.If you email me at [email protected] i can tell you more.

27. sideways27

sideways27

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but I thought I would post.
    There is going to be a big party for Ed Iskenderian's 90th birthday. It is going to be held on Saturday 7-23-2011 at LTR Racing Engines which is located at 29330 HWY 178 in Onyx, Ca. 93255. (760) 378 1982. Food is free and there is overnight camping just call ahead for a spot. There will be many race car drivers, anouncers, builders and owners, etc. I have seen the list of some of the people and it is going to be very big. There will be many cars from dragsters, drag racing cars to dirt cars and many show cars. There will also be fire in the night where they will start up the race cars (Krackle Fest). You all are invited. I am sure you will also be treated to Ed's famous stories which are fun and goes on forever. Hope some of you can make it, I think you will be treated to a great time.:):)

28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guys,Would any of have a good clear photo of Grant Kings logo.......Rich

29. BS_in_SC

BS_in_SC

Found this online @ Hoseheads
    KingLogo.jpg