Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a sedan into a pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwright, May 29, 2011.

1. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

just picked up this 30 model a sedan was thinking of losing the rear doors and making an extended cab truck

Attached Files:

• mas.jpg
      mas.jpg
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
  2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this has been done quite a few times , some are really nicely done , go for it they make a nice p/u cab , and post some build photos

3. my 30 pu started out as a coup. a work in progres.

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

Looks like a good starting point for an X-Cab pickup. Keep an eye on your roof line as you put the front and rear sections back together. I've seen some where the roof is coming to a peak where they join back. You'll have to do a small wedge section along the sides of the roof to get the profile to flow. Great project, good luck w/it!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

Some random examples.

Attached Files:

5. Heres some advice from someone who has one of the worst BASTARDIZED examples. See the pics Kinky has posted, these look pretty cool because they were based on a 2 door sedan. The 4 door sedan will have narrower doors, approx 4 1/4" inches narrower. So, you need to take a 4 1/4" section from the center of the rear doors before you discard them. Now, you need to cut your front doors apart and put in the sections you removed from the rear doors. Now move the B pillar back accordingly, and then graft on the rear section with the quarter windows. This is the only way you will get the proportions correct. I even went as far as completely cutting out the poorly grafted rear section by the previous, uh builder I quess you would call him, the quarter windows ended up looking like some drunken chinaman's eyes. I found areas with 2 sets of panels lapped over one another, with a patch strip on the inside, all welded together, what a friggin mess. Remember to use Butt welds on your panel seams. I then grafted on a genuine set of truck cab corners. Its a 1000% improvement on the way it was, but is still funky out of proportion with the narrow driver and passenger doors. I wish you the very best of luck with your project, and please consider what I have said.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  6. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

thanks for the advice guys

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your idea better than the 4 door.......