Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do the neighbors think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, May 29, 2011.

1. powmia

powmia

Out of curiosity what do your neighbors think of cutting metal and working on your car til two in the morning? I guess I have good neighbors/friends that let me run q compressor til 1 but I feel bad doing it. Ive seen some of your shops and I'm sure some of you don't have to worry but what about the guys in the neighborhoods?

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

I was just talking to my neighbor who I thought had a problem with me. He didn't mind at all and was really cool about it when i asked him the other day. mike

3. powmia

powmia

Neighbors I've had In the past didn't seem to care but I can't help but feel like an ass when I'm running a grinder all wEkend, they say they don't mind but if I didn't love cars I'm sure I'd be pissed

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had a garage, I had great neighbours. They just kept moving away.

They got fair warning, the 38 with 351, the 28 with 302 and my daily with a 490hp 351 in the driveway, housemates worked BA Falc Ute. WTF did they expect when they were moving in?

Doc.

5. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

I try to do most of the noisy stuff during the daytime. I also build up the good will by looking out for my neighbors. If I have the chainsaw out, I trim up the problem stuff for them also. If you see them with jumper cables or a crappy car jack trying to get back on the road, I immediately jump in and offer help and better tools. It might be as simple as helping pump up a bike tire. My neighbors have come to appreciate what I have in my garage because it has been a benefit to them as well. No one has ever complained and I live right in town in a typical neighborhood.

Z

6. Every neighbor is different. I have had some very tolerant neighbors, although I do the best I can to do the noisiest of things while most people are still awake. I remember one time prepping the roof of my car for a respray at a friends shop in Philly(that happened to be in a residential neighborhood!!)in the middle of a night before a big car show. The neighbor from across the street showed up in his bathrobe and jammies to protest being kept awake all night.

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

My neighbor is a fucking retard. I could give a shit less what he thinks.

8. I like all of our neighbors and they like us. We are the youngest couple at 51. I have a small shop. I have no windows and its well insulated. Ive done the sound test in the evenings and when its all closed up tight and I have the compressor or general loud stuff going on its pretty muffled and it doesn't bother anyone. Ive asked them to let me know if it does.

And luckily I have storage for my extra cars and parts at the family farm, so I never have any "junk" in the driveway for more than a couple of days. Just load it up on the trailer and drag it out to storage.

9. gtkane

gtkane

If you fix all the neighbors cars, they don't mind that much.
    In fact, one of my neighbors, a 78 y.o. lady, once brought me cookies at 3AM, because she saw the lights were on in the shop!

10. Muttley

Muttley

If my neighbor was running an air compressor or grinder at one in the morning I'd probably burn his house down.

11. peter johnson

peter johnson

My neighbors are ok ,they like what i do but i have to listen to there great advice,like dont lower it too much,when are you gunna paint it properly and my favourite is when they tell me what they would do to it to make it better if it was there car!

12. evol55

evol55

Hopefully they think I'm crazy.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

What the hell was she doing up at 3am?

14. 59pache

59pache

The only problem I have ever had with mine is when I decided to do a burnout in my driveway at 2am. But I guess I was asking for it. Other than that they are pretty cool.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Your truck (assuming that's your 59 in your avatar?) is amazing.

16. until my neighbors start paying my bills they can mind their own business! fences make the best neighbors and running your compressor and grinder all fucking hours of the night is one sure way to get the city/county folks knocking at your door. shutting down early and keeping off the radar will really benefit you in the long run because when you get on the "nuicance list" they will fuck with you any time they want forever!!

17. 59pache

59pache

Yup in the 59.

18. 59pache

59pache

Thanks. It's been a good one.

19. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

My neighbors are great.

20. Emmett Customs

Emmett Customs
    from Emmett ID

I have keys to my neighbors cars THEY gave me without asking just so I can move them if I'm pulling a new job in on a trailer. OR if somthing brakes on them they just call and say "Hey the truck/car is having problems with this or that can you take a look when you have time" I work on all of them when they need it. I'm even painting one for the lady across the street this summer

21. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

well my closest neighbors a mile away :D and ive got a vehicle from almost everyone of them. but if they were closer i wouldnt be runnin loud stuff at night. like when i was at my friends house in town and it was like 5 in the afternoon and he was driving his REVO 3.3 down the street. and the neighbor lady came over and said tyler i really hate that thing go drive it somewhere else. so we did then we drove my golf cart past her house a couple times haha. but then like 20 minutes later her dogs were outside barking and i was really tempted to go over there and be like, i really hate ur dogs! get them out of here!!!! if she was my neighbor i would have done it but whatever
    -chad

22. Deuces

Deuces

I'm guilty of breaking in a freshly built 425 hp 355 sbc @ 4 in the morning with open headers in a '69 Camaro... This was in the early 80's with 3 of my friends lending a hand and getting drunk!*** :rolleyes: This was when I had an apartment in Detroit with a crazy ol' fart on one side and some wild hillbillies on the the other.... Never heard a peep out of them.. :) Now days, I close up shop at 9 p.m. and we're all happy! :)

23. The Golden Rule applies here.."Do unto others, as you would want others to do unto you". Residential areas, are populated, if you want to work/make noise all hours of the night, buy some acreage and move out into the country.

24. Goodlife

Goodlife

I agree, if you don't hold yourself to a respectable standard of decency and respect for others you will eventually have some sort of problems.
    It seems that's the way things work from my experience.

25. Deuces

Deuces

I've been pretty quiet for the last 6 years er so.. I have not fired up my '91 since then..

26. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

im the first house in the neighbor hood.i think the red ga. clay all in the road and drive after sat.night races got to them.so after selling my car they all wave when im out side. i wake up 4am every morning, on my off days i open the garage doors and go to work.that might explain why the house across from me is always back for rent.the owner always says i cant keep a tenant.but hey if the cars dont get to my neighbors i bet my 3 beagles and 2 labs do.but hey the girl next door never ask me if i mind her sun bathing in the nude

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I live in a semi-rural area right outside of town, the neighbors are far enough away for any noise to not be too distracting, and frankly, if I have to put up with hearing their cumbias music; they can put up with my garage noises.

28. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

My neighbors across the street are in their 70's....they constantly say they love seeing what I bring home and wish they had my passion for cars..Very cool!:D

29. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

My neighbors are stuckup assholes for the most part.
    HOWEVER.... I ususally shut down the noisy stuff at 9:00PM or 10:00 PM at the latest because I wouldn't want them to disturb MY sleep. If I want to work later there is always something I can do quietly.
    I do believe in self policing and self responsibility.

AND I have had more than one belly laugh when they have gathered around a car to try and figure out why it is not running and are too stuck up to ask me for help.

30. saints

saints

That is the reason I moved to another town where I have a acre and a half for a shop and one neighbor is a car guy the other side the guy travels for months at a time and is never home.... everyone on my block has a shop and old cars when I looked at the house for the first time and saw the merc in the guys shop 3 doors down I knew I was home