Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I missing something here? WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, May 28, 2011.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I just left O'Reilly's auto parts after going there for anti-freeze. I noticed that they are selling 50/50 mix for the same price as 100% anti-freeze. Now, it's either a lazy man's way to add anti-freeze, (can't believe that, we who do our own maintenance ussually ain't lazy), or there 100% anti freeze is watered down. Humn, what do you think is going on?????

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

They are marketing to idiots...

3. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Yup, alot of people like to pay $3 a gallon for tap water because they're too lazy to mix it.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

NO way of telling whats going on ther unlees you've got someone you trust working there that could explain it. Like you said sounds like a lazy way to add antifreeze and not have to worry about the mixing ratio.

Frank

5. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, as someone famous once said, "No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

6. my response when i get asked about that is.....for some people it's a convenience to have it pre mixed

but i still think they are idiots for buying it

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The only way I ever buy premixed is if I'm in a hurry, and that's all that's available on the run. I prefer buying DISTILLED water (not expensive) and mixing my own.

I'd never put tap water in a radiator, though.

8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Kind of like putting kerosene in a pint container and calling it Mineral spirits.

Hey if people are willing to buy it why not!!!!!!!!!!!

Just the crazy thoughts of an old man.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

The guy that came up with that got an instant raise in the board meeting, he lives next to the guy that came up with the Whipped peanut butter, just add air and less pb! Those guys get paid really well!!!

10. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

I think they make it the same price to catch people who aren't really paying attention. They want 'antifreeze' and don't read the packages carefully - if everything's the same price, some people won't really notice what they're buying.

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Following the general consumer model, when something is removed from a product you can charge more for it by package or volume. Fat free, reduced sodium, unleaded, de cafinated, take the Coke stuff out and sell the water for more than the soda. Can you buy a half gallon of ice cream anymore??? People pay for conveniennce and pay more for it at convenience stores.

12. 1:1, how hard is that concept? Never understood the ready-mix either unless it's for one of those types that'd spill a drop in the dirt and speed dial EPA for hazmat response.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

50/50=Antifreeze for idiots.

14. borntowrench

borntowrench

Don't forget the guy who doubled the shampoo manufacturers profit simply by adding the word "repeat" to the end of the directions....:D

15. I believe the inventors name was Wile. E. Coyote, super genius.

16. I wish I`d thought of bottled water! Oh yeah,the other day I was at the gas station needed some air in my tire: $1.00, yup, for air! ( I filled it at work )

17. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_828.jpg
    With ya on that one, got smart and threw one of these cheap pumps in the back for road trips. Gotta be patient but paid for itself a couple times over.

Here's another good tip: A cordless half/inch impact wrench and a sissor jack from the wreckingyard that'll take a socket. Can change a tire road side in 5 minutes!

18. sololobo

sololobo

There is one born every minute! Hey sucker have you seen our new ready to install antifeeze, great deal!! not ~sololobo~

19. I have had the same discussion here at work. WTF?! is right!

20. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

50/50 is made for the person who is on the road, pulled up out front needing rad fluid at that moment.

If regular car guys who know better are buying it for home use, where they have access to mixing bottle/bucket than if they are dumb enough to buy it, good for O'Reillys.

21. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it's "pre-mixed" for your convenience! geesh... ;)

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

Same marketing gimmick as the idiots buying water out of the spring water machine in front of walmart. If it sells push the hell out of the products. Thats the new American way.Follow the masses.

23. Used that analogy for years in motivational seminars as an example of how to double sales with one word. Sad but true.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You guys are all spot-on as far as it being a scam is concerned. However, a lot of new off-topic hybrids have or will have separate cooling systems for A/C and computer components, which will be ruined with tap water. THOSE are the cars that will need the pre-mix coolant.

But for the world we all live in, pre-mix is a scam.

25. Yes, but it wont fucking hurt the engine if you dump in straight coolant! Especially if you are low anyway:rolleyes:

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to remember that there is a whole segment of people out there who have no concept of how to mix antifreeze and water 50-50 themselves. While most of us buy a jug and take it home and pour half into an empty jug and fill both back up with water to have two jugs of 50-50 ready to go others can't grasp the concept.
    The bad thing is that some convenience type stores are only stocking the 50-50 now. I needed antifreeze last winter and the only place that was open only had the 50-50 on the shelf and the clerk said they didn't sell any thing else.

But as much as we scoff at it, the idea also helps keep idiots on the right track and maybe keep them out of trouble.

27. retromotors

retromotors

Very true.
    I've noticed they're also starting to handle it at inconvenience stores.

[​IMG]

28. PRoz

PRoz

You guys are missing the reason behind it. The average Hot Rodder will NOT buy premixed because he can do it himself. The average "I can do it myself" consumer can barely check the oil and get it changed and couldnt handle having to mix his antifreeze. It's easier to get premixed.
    We sell both Straight and Premixed at the Dealership I work at and sell the strainght 3-4 times more than the pre mixed.

29. I prefer to let the idiots veer off the right track! Natural selection if you will.

30. What most people don't think about is that if you add premixed to existing coolant in your radiator, you are weakening the mixture, if you add 100% antifreeze, you are strengthening the mixture.