Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing rust!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, May 27, 2011.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I need a little advise here. I bought these really cool hub caps (old style) at a swap meet last weekend to put on my shoebox. They may be after market stuff - don't know for sure, but they are stainless with a couple of pot metal parts on the them. Well the stainless has some really tuff surface rust on them that won't come off using a rust removing gel, steel wool, or rubbing compound. The lighter rust comes right off with the steel wool. Sorry I don't have a camera to show you the caps. I have read something in Rod & Custom about using a battery and other stuff in a tank or what ever. Please help - thanks

2. borntowrench

borntowrench

Stainless steel doesn't rust. Try the search function, there are many rust threads full of info for ya.

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Low grade stainless will rust. The aftermarket caps are made from a low grade mix and the steel mixed in the stainless type is whats rusting.
    It just depends on the grade used and most re-pop crap is that. The only thing that will fix them probably is sandblasting and having them chromed.

4. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

The key ingredient in Stainless is Chromium, 18% is usually the high grade stainless, chinese stuff is much less. The chromium only slows down the rusting process, it doesn't eliminate it!

I'd take em down and get em chromed! that'd be the best option!!

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I might just try the electrolysis thing - which would be quicker electrolysis or vinegar

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ask me about vinegar...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

yea, I read your thread on the vinegar, but in the long run was you OK with it??

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep, but the wheel flash-rusted 30 minutes after I pulled it out of the soup. Gonna hafta redip it and primer it immediately after rinsing.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Better yet use "metal ready".

11. stainless steel is non-magnetic.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

300 series SS is non-magnetic, 400 series is magnetic

13. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Nope
    The ferritic and martensitic stainless grades ('400' series) are generally free from austenite, have high permeabilities and so will attract a magnet. They are classed as ferromagnetic. These steels can be magnetised in an electric field and so can be used for electric solenoid cores, where good corrosion resistance is required. An example of this type of steel is the "soft" ferritic 430 (1.4016). :D