Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. wynns #1

wynns #1

Just got back from another good time at Loudon. The rain showers allowed some extra benched racing, but each afternoon allowed plenty of track time. My guess is that we had the opportunity for about a dozen of 15 min. sessions. For those of you who like to exercise your cars, consider next year. Collector Ray Boisseneau graciously opened his facility for all of us to eat and enjoy his collection. Congrats to Larry and Jan Pfitzenmaier who received the prestigious Bahre Cup! They attended their 21st consecutive event, traveling over 2800 miles one way! Much deserved!

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Yes it is Willie........

3. racer5c

racer5c

Please don't bid against me on this!!!!

4. I would not even dare to!

5. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I believe it is... I think the car was painted red at the time
    PK

6. manoftheoil

manoftheoil

I was there that day what a bad crash, March afternoon at the California Mid Winter Fair, in Imperial CA, AKA El Centro, our family ran the racetrack from 1987 to 1995. we ran USAC midgets, Arizona midgets, CRA sprints, SCRA sprints, WOO sprints, and local stock car races, we also ran the Quaker State Classic, over the thanksgiving weekend from 1987 to 1995, then we moved it to Bakesfield CA, in 96, then to Manzanita, in 98 and 99 and that was it, we had a good run but we had to run a family business, also Brian Howard, designed our flag stand that we built, Thanks for posting the pictures, it brings back good memories.

7. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, “WOW” what A weekend at Indy!!!!! :D

8. KGB911

KGB911

Congrat's to the Schmidt family!
    Hope and Pray next week end has the same results!
    Dan Ruth

9. easter

easter

PK - This may be something you remember. Late 60's IMCA was in Tampa for the Feb deal, but as you know, the sprints didn't run every day. So, racers being racers, they found another track. I believe it was called "Sunshine Speedway" over in St. Pete. It was a little asphalt track. One night we were there and almost the entire IMCA field was there, too, with bolt on cages. Of course, Todd Gibson and his Flintstone Flyer was waxing everybody. Suddenly, a big car pulls in the pit area and guys with yellow jackets and little white caps get out with clipboards. IMCA goons were there to write down car numbers so they could issue fines back at Tampa for their Sprinters "slumming" on the modified side. The drivers/owners/etc. were getting upset and someone approached the Sunshine Speedway staff about it. So, before the feature, all of the cars were parked on the front straight in formation and the entire crowd was allowed to come onto the track and look at the cars and talk with the drivers and crews. This must have been a ploy to really hook the fans and give the track owners some time to take a poll. As the fans returned to their seats so the feature could get underway, the track made an announcement something like this: "The Speedway has decided if the IMCA drivers prefer to not return to Tampa for the races at the Fairgrounds, Sunshine Speedway will be open and will have races on the same dates of the scheduled Tampa races." And then they asked: "Will you fans be here for those races?" There was a standing ovation and a lot of vocal approval. The IMCA suits seemed pretty upset with the announcement - they climbed in their big ride and headed back to Tampa. Just about everyone showed up back at Tampa for the normal IMCA show. Nothing was ever mentioned back at the fairgrounds about fines, roll cages, asphalt tires on the trailer, etc.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  10. Fibergless

Fibergless
    from Germany

Hello to all, after reading several hundred answers concerning great cars, i've decided to built my own R/C sprint car in 1/3,5 scale. The master of the body is half done and all the mechanical parts are waiting too. Thanks you to all of you here who posted such nice pics! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Easter, I remember hearing about an incident like that but I wasn't there. Sunshine Speedway was a 1/4 mile bullring alongside the drag strip. In fact you had to drive on the drag strip to park. Ah yes, those pesky men in their canary yellow shirts [and don't forget the epaulettes] black tie, and white hats. I heard Buzz Barton use some colorful language as he told my dad what he thought about their choice of clothing taking particular care in describing that hat. :eek: The IMCA did their best to keep the cars under their thumb, but everyone knew where to find them on the off days.
    PK

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  12. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Hey gang, I am looking for one steel knock off. A right rear, 2.50 inches. pm me if you have one for my old trevis.

Joe

13. easter

easter

I wonder how many motel maids had to move roll cages to vacuum or even make a bed. Bolt on roll cage mounts on the car really used to upset the IMCA officials, but an actual roll cage under a tarp in the back of the truck was too much for them to accept. So, my dad, like nearly every other driver, "stored" the cage in the motel room. You know, an entire book could be writen on racers and motels. We talked earlier about motel parking lot distruction and bathtub parts cleaning stations and it seemed to get a big response. I'd like to hear the motel's side of the stories. I'll bet they didn't think it was so funny.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ex-wife worked as a motel maid in her younger days. Had plenty of horror stories to tell, but always said racers were perfect gentlemen compared to what the hunters would do.

15. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Dad was given this trophy type metal plate the last year we were in Tampa for the IMCA races. I assume all of the participants received one. Thought somebody would like seeing this. We always thought this was kind of dumb: I don't believe they ran Indy cars at the Fairgrounds on dirt. Oh well, how many trophies have Sprint Car drivers won that were topped with a stock car?

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  16. easter

easter

[​IMG]

It has to be cool to have these!

17. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

18. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks for the pic, I hadn't seen one of those trophy plaques since, well, 1970. I see the screw holes in yours are unused I don't know of anyone who mounted one of those on anything.

19. Bellmire17

Bellmire17

Anyone have any old pics of my sprinters (Bellmire#17) mine all got "lost" in a messy divorce

20. Bellmire17

Bellmire17

When we ran IMCA in the late 60s we hide the cage in the back of my drivers(Gordon Wolley) camper where it was otta site!

21. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

What could have bin??????
    If the stars would have been aliened……..

Attached Files:

22. baldtireman

baldtireman

When Indycar became back gate mentality, they even lost their hardcor fans!!

23. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

I always looked at Indy as man and machine
    against the track.
    I don’t get caught up in politics.
    I get caught up in the race. :rolleyes:

24. used to be

used to be

As a young boy I would hear a race car fire up at a manufacturing plant behind our house and over the fence I would go. That begin my love of dirt cars. I spent many hrs hanging around watching and being a pest. That car was the Bellmire 17.

25. Rumors floating around have Smoke coming back to Indy next year with a Chevrolet backed ride....Currently it's doubtful he'll drive but you never know.

26. cg5

cg5

This is newer than 1969 in fact it's 1979. Just read in Sprintcar&Midget about a record set in 1979 that still stands after 32yrs. congrats Roy Caruthers.

Curt Grogan

27. Bellmire17

Bellmire17

I remember you being a pest (not really)

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mauri wads up the Blue Crown Spl. :(

Attached Files:

• mr1.jpg
      mr1.jpg
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
    • mr2.jpg
      mr2.jpg