Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49-52 Chevy Chops with Extended Catwalk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Tell him that I want to talk at Round Up!

Sam
    832-618-0447

2. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Here is mine.It was done at Moores HotRods in Dallas Ga.The catwalk was left alone and a filler piece put in between the belt line and the window.The rear window was laid forward only a little.A filler piece was also put above the back window.I love the curve it gives the car.I could not have asked for it to be better.

Attached Files:

3. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Dirty Ed, do you have some more pics of the rear window area or a rear view? Is that the stock rear window? How much of a chop was it front/rear? Looks good

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

extending the catwalk to me looks like crap, unless you put a longer trunk from a hardtop

5. 8-9-duck

8-9-duck

is that what we used to call "taint" ?

6. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I have a pic of a car that Sam F did Omar that looks awesome with this style chop, check it out on my other threads.

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

your right, it does look good, it flows real nice. I saw a 53 54 once, its a nice car but the catwalk look like crap... lemme see if i can find a pic of what i am talking about

8. skyrodder

skyrodder

here it is, the car is over all real nice, but look how Fugly the catwalk,back window area looks...

Attached Files:

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Shit man I just got back to this thread, a little late. He was at the Roundup and at our hotel...I guess I was so car drunk I just forgot. I'll send him a pm.

10. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I see what you mean omar but I think some of that has to do with the window and how the drooped it in???

11. thesupersized

thesupersized

i think the cat walk was lengthened too much on this car, but maybe that is what the stock back glass(sunken) yields? The back window in my opinion should be leaned more. Damn, i hate being soo pickey, I feel guilty about picking apart other people's cars! I edited the photo and posted the real photo(left) and my edited version of what I like better

Attached Files:

12. skyrodder

skyrodder

true, wrap around windows suck balls on chopped cars

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

im going to have to disagree...

14. thesupersized

thesupersized

15. skyrodder

skyrodder

16. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I love this thread. It is something I've been working with right now on my chop. First when I extended the catwalk it didn't slope up enough and made the back not flow the way it should from boot to hood. Had to muck around for a while with the window to get the flow all sussed.
    I personally like the extended catwalk, gives the car a longer, sleeker profile. I like what Thesupersized did with the back glass on that green 53. I would probably like to see a little more upward slope on the catwalk but it really does look good. I think it might just be the light on the catwalk itself that makes it look not very sloped.

17. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

[​IMG]This is Rob Fortier's 53 chevy. I think it is superb.

18. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Sam Navarro

I just looked at folder with your chevy. If your gonna use those taillights on the car, you should think of chopping it with out extending the cat walk. That way it will give the illusion of the car being even longer and sleeker. Here is a link of a chevy that i thought had the best chop on a sedan. Rreally look at your car and how things will flow with the longer roof.

jason

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_.../49-51_chevy_custom_cars/blue_49_chevy_coupe/

19. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Robs car use t be a 4 door too. i got to see this car close up when my friend was doing the upholstery on it.

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

^^^^^ Now That Is A Beautiful Car !!! ^^^^^^

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I kept these pictures on file because I know what you are talking about. I REALLY do not like the rear window to be laid down, I think it looks better with stock shaping and just changing the proportions. Hope the owner doesn't mind me posting these pics, but I like this chop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Not that anyone asked, but I think this one is perfect! These pics are from another thread, and I kept them so that I could do one someday. This was a 2 door sedan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  23. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

So Rob Fortier's 53 was originally a 4 door eh? Mine was rescued from the land of Mordor as well. Is the roof line a little different on a four door? Mine seems to have a similar profile to Rob's.

24. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Jason- Thanks for the link but I think that is a 2dr coupe not a sedan, before I make any decision on the chop I am going to do SO much research its going to hurt!

Sam

25. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Here is a photoshop version that a good friend of mine did, one with a regular chop and the other with a longer catwalk. I personally like the longer catwalk with my car..... what do you guys think?

Sam

Attached Files:

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

how has no one posted Jesus Valencia's hard top yet???????????

that car is imo one of the best customs ever built!!!!!!

27. My 51 H/T chopped with 3 piece window laid down.

Attached Files:

• 51ht.jpg
      51ht.jpg
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
  28. BJR

BJR

Now that is the first one posted in this thread that I think flows correctly. Just my opinion and I am not dissing any other cars pictured here..

29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Sam

S know for sure its a sedan. I've talked with both of the owners and have seen it many time to take measurement off the chop. If you really look you will see that the roof is longer then a couple. Its that the chop is done so well and the rear quarter window is stock length on that blue on as with mine. I hate when i see a lot of C panel on a chop. To me it ruins the flow of the car. It took me and my friend about 3 months to figure how we were gonna chop it. I didn't want to just chop it and say look i have a chopped car. I wanted everything to flow. If you look at post #20. My goal was to try to get it to flow the best we could. One thing i really like is how the pillars thickness got from small to just a bit larger from front to back.

Its a pain in the ass to try to figure out how you really want the chop to look. I studied so many chevy. I look at a shit load of magus from the 50s to current. I also took a tape measure and a pen and pad of paper to every car show. Just so i could take measurements of different chops i like. I never ran into any one who said now to taking measurement of there car. They were pretty stoked that i like it so much and wanted to measure it.

If you need any other help let me know.

Jason

30. Amen !
    firstnomad