Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machine Shop Boo Boo/Tell Me What Is Fair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmics, May 23, 2011.

1. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>Dropped my third 312 crank off at my machinest today for evaluation.

He told me that a customer had bumped into one of my my ECZ cranks that I had previously left him for inspection and that it had fallen over and broken in two [​IMG]

It had not been inspected for its integrity.
    I figure that there are two ways to look at this situation-either call it a loss and dont worry about it since it may have been ultimatly cracked and finally went OR it fell just so exact to do the damange to a good crank and I"m owed something.
    Wadduya think gang?
    Oldmics
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Hmmm,

Someone broke something that you left in their care? Either the customer or the shopp should compensatre or replace, period.

3. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

4. kingpins

kingpins

cracked or not they need to replace.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Ummm.
    His possession, his problem.
    If the guy can't put stuff where a customer can't damage it, hey? Where does that stop, really?

How much do you like the guy?

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

regardless of whether it had been inspected or not a customers item was destroyed, period. any reputable shop would replace it. someone owes you a crank.

7. You do know the knowledgeable old guy's would always inspect a cast crank as soon as it comes in the door with the drop test, and listen to the ring. Does this, or did this replace the magnuflux, of course not, but to a experienced machinist, it was a good preliminary test to do right in front of the customer at the time of drop off. Accidents happen and it sounds like he will make it right. TR

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. Me too. I wouldn't be an ass about it and it may be hard to come up with fair market value on it but they should be giving you some compensation for it.

9. If someone was irresponsible enough to leave it where a customer could bump into it, they need to buy you a new one. Even if it was an honest mistake and they broke it, they need to buy you a new one.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Finding a good machinist seems to be the hardest part of hot rodding for some reason...

I don't know exactly what's going on here but I can guess.

I have one rule... Never make 'friends' with your machinist (painter, plumber, roofer, electrician, etc).

In my experience, you just end up waiting longer, paying more and accepting inferior work when you do.

It actually probably goes for everything from engine-work to tire rotations. But machinists just seem to cost you a little more.

You know he should replace the crank, he knows he should replace the crank... The only reason this is even an issue is because he feels too comfortable with you and you're afraid to call him on his fuck up cause it might cost you a 'friend.'

This doesn't mean you can't have a solid relationship with the guy outside of work, but the old saying stands... Business is business...

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd have them locate and provide a replacement,.....I wouldn't get nasty about it,....Especially if it's the only machine shop around !

4TTRUK

12. 10secondA

10secondA

a good shop wouldnt even question this they would replace it

13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

If your machinist is a man of his word and honest there would be no question of him making it up to you if in one way or another. Did he even offer to make it up?

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I have to agree with Kilroy..... And i never go with "good buddy jobs"....They never work out...... 4TTRUK

15. customs by jason

customs by jason

x2 he should replace it

16. Wow...broken in two? Did it fall off a shelf? I've never seen one break into two from being knocked over while sitting on the floor.

Things happen, though. The shop needs to compensate you, and I think if cooler heads prevail you guys can come up with a compromise that works out. Does anybody in the aftermarket make a 312 crank? I'm thinking no, but you never know.

I'm guessing from the first sentence in this thread that you're having a tough time getting a 312 crank to pass inspection? It might be a blessing in disguise. I'd rather have it break in the shop than to have it come apart at 4000 rpm and totally destroy the engine.

17. Maybe scat makes one.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Should have never told you. Your Crank is ready come-n-gettit.
    Dropped, broke, replaced, turned, pay the man.
    How many 312 cranks are there anyway?
    I was told a funny story about how the guy who borrowed my car trailer (for the last time) lost one of my chains. He wasnt holding a new chain when I heard it.

19. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Man sounds odd was it on a desk or work bench? Surely it was not on the ground and fell over and broke.

20. Appreciate all the replys.

He"s a machinest and I"m just a customer.

He did state that he owes me a crank when he told me about the situation.

It just fell over onto the concrete floor from a standing up position.

I just did not know how to approach the value of a questionable (not inspected) crank.

I had a bunch of 312 engines that I took apart in my attempts to acquire a good block.That is why I had 3 cranks (now 2).

Perhaps coming up with an agreeable amount for the cranks value and then subtracting that amount from my bill would be the way to go.

Oldmics

21. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I've never seen a crank broken in two from falling over. Maybe somebody else needed a 312 crank real bad. Did you actually see the pieces? Maybe it's just my suspicious mind, but...

22. Yep,Viewed the pieces-both of them and could tell it really was my unit from markings of dissassembly.

Oldmics

23. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Well if he already told you he owes you a crank then all's good in the hood so to speak. Like you said come up with a fair market value then subtract that from your bill sounds good and everone is happy.

24. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Well that explains a lot more, you're first post made it sound like there was some sort of conflict.

In the past, I've worked out deals where we both keep eye's open at swaps for the part and the shop pays for it. Whoever finds one first...

A scat crank will either be of inferior quality or unfairly expensive, depending on the model... In my opinion...

If you want a cash credit on the machine work check auction sites and craigslist for past and present sales and come up with an average...

I might go on the high side though since as far as anybody knows that was a structurally sound crank.

25. F&J

F&J

A thought.. What if you just let him off the hook for any value? You probably told him you had 3 motors apart to find a good block, so he knows you have more cranks? He just might pay you back in a very reduced fee, just because you would be a pretty nice guy in his eyes..which is darn rare these days.

I don't know, just an idea.

26. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Accidents do happen, Your machinist isn't the guy to have upset(assuming you are still taking him buisiness) I would get with him and come up with an agreed value, and let him give you credit towards machine work, that way you both come out without a loss of money and everyone is happy(at least as happy as they can be) Showing this kind of concideration can go a long way towards price breaks in the future.

27. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Of course he knows he has more cranks their at the same machine shop did you not read the post fully?

28. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

You should really read all the post before posting your self!!!

29. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

The crack area should have a forensics story. I doubt a cast crankshaft falling over from standing on end on the floor would break in two if it was a serviceable component. It had to of been partially cracked to break like this.(opinion) On the replacement he should be responsible for it while in his shop's posession.

30. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I think you guys will work this out. He sounds like a decent sort of guy.