Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- INDEX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. George

George

A good welder could weld up the upper part of the crossover, or use a block off plate. The Edmunds(that I'm aware of) is made for the small port 331s. See how they match up. There are a number of problems trying to use 392 heads on a 354 block.

2. 73RR

73RR

One piece intakes will not fit if you have tall deck (392) heads on a short deck (331-354) block.
    The Edmunds were made for both the small port (51-53) and big port (54) heads. Which do you have? IIRC, all Edmunds have a t-stat so you need to check port size to determine which head matches the intake. You could run the small port intake on large port heads, been done many times, just not the most efficient.
    You can still use the truck heads, there are two relatively easy solutions, but you will still have water in the manifold:
    ...Weld a tab onto the intake to cover the port.
    ...Once the heads have been cleaned, fill the top portion of the port (in the head) with Devcon or something similar.

This discussion needs to be moved to a project thread.

3. streetcoupe

streetcoupe

Thanks for the feedback,. jeff

4. sb hemi

sb hemi
    from tn

we build a lot of cars with early hemis . we also build heads that turn an 340-360 small block chrys into a fire breathing hemi . they look just like a 392 hemi with alum heads . we built these beacuse early hemis are geting hard to find and core 392 are getting very expensive . we also mkae ealry hemi parts . and have a few motors ready to go .

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to know! Could you please post your info at the end of the following thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118425&highlight=hemi+tech

Then I can archive you in the contacts area. Feel free to browse through the other categories mentioned at the beginning of this thread and add your knowledge on each or any of the subjects.

6. George

George

Do an Intro!

7. bigdog56e

bigdog56e

Very informative, I have a '56 330 and powerflite I want to do something with if my health holds up. Thank you.
    Eddie

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I don't know where else to ask this, but has anyone gotten any information about the new Lavoie and Adams block, reportedly to be debuted at this years March Meet?

[​IMG]
    Inquiring minds; Tom S. in Tn.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump your thread again. I'm sure there are plenty of people interested... Myself included.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574697&highlight=392

Some discussion here, as well...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523801&highlight=392

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Go ahead Scooter. I bumped both my thread and the one originally started by Kerry from Ka. the last time.

I'm guessin' the economy got this one on the starting line.
    Thanx, and if you find anything let me know.
    Tom S. in Tn.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay guys! I added a new category for dimensions related to early Hemis. Check it out and add what you can:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6731267#post6731267

If you guys have any other questions about your Hemi or a Hemi in general, please find the correct thread above and ask in that thread. If you don't see a place to ask your question then start a new thread and we'll get it linked in for you.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! You guys rule! Let's keep the info flowing!

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that in 2012 I'm going to work on getting all the straggling Hemi related threads pulled into the Tech Index. Starting with some topics related to cooling systems.

I created a new "Cooling Systems" category and merged some of the info into a topic that makes more sense. It was a topic that was really lacking.

I'll be taking a look at each category this year to make sure there is room for expansion on the topics. If not, I will make some changes to the threads so they make sense.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Sorry I've been slacking a little on the HEMI Tech section. Keep the threads coming and I'll eventually get them all pulled in and organized!

Happy New Year!

13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

We should be thanking you for all the time you've put into this.
    so...thanks :D

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! In all seriousness, this would not exist without the wonderful input of all the Hemi gurus here on the HAMB. I'm just trying to make it easier for everyone to view it and learn it. Including myself! :):cool: So much great knowledge here!

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I included a link to this thread in the Tech Archives - it'll stay "alive" that way and you can continue adding to this thread, but always find it via the Tech Archives.

Great job and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to do this...

Here's the link to the Tech Archive...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659166

16. moparshawn

moparshawn
    from usa

wow i love all the info here. A+++

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed!...Good Stuff!

There's two types of guys....
    The ones that Want Early Hemis and the ones that Own Early Hemis!

I'm the latter.....
    Aloha Tommy

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man this thread sure saves a giant headache! nice job.

20. otti

otti

hello
    can i put this 392 intake on my 1956 354 engine?

Attached Files:

21. 41hemi

41hemi

Yes that intake will fit the 331,354,and 392!:p

22. otti

otti

its the angle head to intake 354-392 the same? the 392 heads are higher than the 354/331?

23. 41hemi

41hemi

When Chrysler made the 392 which is a taller block than the 331,354, they simply made the difference up in the 392 heads. All the intakes from 55 on up will interchange. If you use 331,354 heads on a 392 block, you simply use spacers between the heads and the intake.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gentlemen... The above links are divided up into various topics where these questions can be researched, subscribed and added too. This is just an index thread. Please do not post your questions in this thread unless it is a question pertaining to the Index and or other topic requests. Trying very hard to keep this thread focused and clean.

Thanks for all your help and responses. Again... Please visit the links pertaining to the topics you have questions about (heads, intakes, interchangeability, etc.) You may also PM me if you are not sure where to post or have content you would like me to add.

THANK YOU!

hipster likes this.
  25. Sorry mate , thought I was putting in the right place. Can't be bothered writing it all again.

26. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys. tallhtrddr bumped this up because he noticed the links weren't working. Is anyone else having issues?

The first link on the page was related to the social groups. It is not working, but it's a duplicate of the existing Hemi Tech Index posted right below it. I will look at that and see if it's still valid.

Please let me know if there are issues. THANKS!

28. Kruegster

Kruegster

OK. It's been a year from last post. I will jump start it again. Awesome thread, by-the-way.
    I bought a 331 hemi out of a 53 Chrysler New Yorker. The block is cracked from freezing.
    What poly blocks will the heads work on? I want it for a fenderless Model A. I am a simple guy, just want simple answers. OR, maybe one of you nice fellas' has a 331 block that is good that you'd sell me? :)

29. 73RR

73RR