Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Here is my latest project, a 1955 GMC that I got for free and am now restoring it so that I can drive it! It was fun getting this truck because the lady that gave it to me let me go through the old garage thats behind it and take whatever I wanted. The garage had a bunch of cool stuff in it like some model A fenders, hood, wheels, piano from 1915, and a bunch of old unopened oil cans. I had a trailer full of stuff! Anyways here are some pics of my truck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Some more pics of where its at now :D

3. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

Nice start! Solid.

4. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Free ? I must be living in the wrong place. We can't even get rusted out junk in NY for free. Nice project !

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

So, is the body, with the exception of the grill of course, the exact same as chevy?

For that matter, is the chassis/suspension the same as chevy? i know the engines weren't.

6. Mart

Mart

If the 55 is like my 58, the GMC sales blurb states that some components such as crossmembers and the rear axle are beefed up oner the Chevy. Body panels, I believe, will interchange.

7. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I like it, lucky &@(!) for free!!!!!, ill give you 200 for it.....lolol

8. KidAgain

KidAgain

And a big window at that!!

For looks I would dump the spare tire fender.

Put a grannry tranny in it and use it like man!!

9. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Nice score! Looks like your off to a good start!

10. sololobo

sololobo

Love these trucks, congrats on savin this dandy. Will be watchin your progress. ~sololobo~

11. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks guys! Yea the only thing that is really different is the dash. Everything else is pretty much the same.

12. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

That is a very interesting truck in your avatar schwerko! What was that like a 1 ton and you put a stepside bed on it? Looks cool!

13. Good luck, stick with it , i bailed on mine and have regrets. it was rust free from the west and decided to let it go . Intentions were to mount it on a 4x4 chassis that had 44's. The chassis was done and was immaculate. I thought the GMC knarly-ness would lend to a big truck. sold everything off for profits and new ventures, have some cool pics as reminders. Good luck with yours, those trucks are different and you either like em or hate em, they will grow on you though!:cool::)

14. The parts that are different are the engine, grille, dash, rear diff, and front crossmember. At least that's how it is on my '58.

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

Man ,what a nice truck to start with.Shortbed,big window cab ,FREE ,what a deal .Cant wait to see progress on it :)...

16. 1959apache

1959apache

nice looking truck

17. Two things that hard to comprehend, FREE, and how could something be sunk in the ground that bad have no rot ! Those two things do NOT exist here, nice looking truck by the way.

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

It does have a little rot on the cabcorners, bottom of doors and the kick panels on the cab but thats pretty much it! I was suprised when I pulled it out because the cab was full of mice and pine needles and the floor is almost perfect.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a cool score all that a piano to , i never get anything cool like that

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

somebody's been under the hood prior to your acquisition. sbc with a four barrel - not original I don't think.

21. If it was a V-8 truck the GMC's used a Pontiac V-8 in those years but everyone probably already knew that one:rolleyes::)

22. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice start, looks like I need to be looking out west for a nicer 55 body for mine...

23. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea its a later 283 with a TH400 and someone made some awsome motor mounts for it. They had a chain going from the motor to the frame to keep it from twisting the mounts and the trans wasn't even bolted down in the back so it was pretty crooked in there. I was VERY suprised when I took the pan off the motor though. It was very clean inside and it looks to have been rebuilt recently and not been driven very much prior to sitting. Given that there was mice in the intake (bunch of peanut shells in there) the motor fired right up after 30 yrs of sitting and ran great! Although the trans cooler lines were cracked and fluid was being slung all over the place from the fan.

24. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Some pics of the awsome motor mounts! See how straight the trans was!

Attached Files:

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Here's a update!

Got the frame blasted and painted and rolling again! Now I need to put my brakes back together than drop the motor and trans back in.

Attached Files:

26. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

nice score!!! if you're at all considering it, NOW is the time to lower that sucker...

27. Westco48

Westco48

Man what a find...my first truck was a 55 GMC longbed that I converted to shortbed...I pulled the ol Jimmy 6 ( i was a teen and didn't know any better ) and in went a AMC 401/727 out of a 70' Police Interceptor/Matador...Please keep us updated and thanks for posting pics of that unforgettable grille.

28. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Motor is in! Now I need to finish up the brakes, blast and paint some more little parts and do the exhaust.

Attached Files:

29. Gonna be a nice ride when you're done. Always preferred GMCs over Chevs even today.