Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

Nice work. Congrats , always nice to get a good response after all the hard work.
    Kenny

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I forgot to post a photo of the door before the patch panel...
    Have no clue why someone cut it up like this :confused:

[​IMG]

3. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Man, I'm impressed! That door panel looks great! I can't bead roll for shit.

4. Door panels look great Nick I like the fact that with help from friends you are building your roadster.....can't wait for the rest you still doing the late model Mustang green?

5. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Kudo's on the inner door panel... That thing rocks!!!

6. patman

patman

Maybe someone cut it out so they could do some dent removal on the door skin? Just a guess...

7. stlcrzn

stlcrzn

Hey Nick the door looks great. Keep up the good work.

8. 510madmav

510madmav

probably a race car door, Mine were the same.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's a thought, but they sure butchered it!

Yeah, my first thought is that they were trying to shave weight, but it sure did make the doors flimsy. Also, by looking at the subrails and some other areas on the body (that were also butchered), this car could've been some sort of crude drag car or something...

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This weekend I installed the driver's side door latch, striker, and inner door patch panel....

Still some work to do on both doors, but they latch and fit nicely and are MUCH better than before!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Greezy

Greezy

Finally caught up on this thread. Looking good Nick.

12. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Coming along nicely!

13. 510madmav

510madmav

Those door panels look amazing.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking great!

iPhone - TJJ App

15. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Doing a great job. Keep it up. Dash is my favorite part

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks alot, guys! After doing one door latch/striker and patch panel, the second one didn't go too bad.

Next on the agenda is finishing up the fuel tank mounts, filling in the bulkhead "X" behind the seat with sheet metal, and starting on the floor...

17. Just in case anybody cares, the color Malcolm mentioned is Legend lime on the 05 and 06 mustangs. The VW color is different.

Attached Files:

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Worked on the 'bulkhead' sheet metal panels today....

[​IMG]

19. ScottV

ScottV

Hey everybody ... Nick is showing off how talented he is ....

AGAIN !!!! :p

As usual you continue to amaze me, this ride is awesome now, what will it be when it is finished !!!???!!!

20. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Looking good Nick...............see you at LARS?? Dale

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Great work man!!! Its a great build to watch!!! :)

Nick, put a steering wheel on the BR, you get such better control, not only on the line but while you're holding the metal and running straight lines... :)

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I wish I could make it out there, Dale... Maybe next year!

Thanks alot, Ian... means alot, coming from you. That Caddy is coming along nicely and I see you've been rolling some beads, yourself :)

Funny that you mention a steering wheel, because that is EXACTLY what I want/need to do. The last photo I posted doesn't show all of the imperfections. It's hard to run a straight, consistent line with that hand crank :eek:

23. Beautiful Work Nick!!! It's great to see this dream come together. Keep it up! :cool:

24. Damn Nick! This is really looking great! I have an extra wheel I'd be willing to give up for the bead roller. It makes a huge difference ( though I still cant roll a straight line, ha!) Let me know.

25. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Any updates, big or small?

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A little update of sorts....

I did make some good progress during the last few months, but I've decided to slow down a little and enjoy the summer.

A few different things have influenced this decision.

--My last update (above) shows the bulkhead panel that I made. Well, it might look good in that photo, but I'm not happy with it, so it will get cut out and re-done. Getting in a bit of a hurry (with a quickly approaching deadline) can cause things to NOT be done to the best of your (my) abilities.
    --SO, no more deadlines. I know I'm not the only one that's been through this :) Of course, I will continue to work on this and make progress. It will happen when it happens. Deadlines can certainly take the fun out of this hobby!

I switched gears and tore into the engine I'm using (not the one sitting in the car). Looks like it will need a quick honing, re-ring, crank turned, all new bearings, gaskets, etc. Nothing major, but it $till add$ up! I also have a Trickflow Stage 1 cam with matched valve springs that will go in it. Pretty much the same engine that I ran in my '62 Galaxie. That little 302/T5 pulled the Galaxie around great and was fun to drive, so the same combo should be a blast in this Roadster!

Also, always 'needing' something fun to ride or drive during the summer, I decided to hop back on a motorcycle. It's already been four or five years since I sold my other bikes. Looked around some and was leaning towards a Triumph Bonneville Thruxton. Earlier this week I decided to go take a look at a Ducati. One ride on it and I was hooked! What a great bike!
    2007 Ducati M695 Monster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll continue to post Roadster updates, it just won't be as often. :)

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great nick....I told you Hot Rods will change your life.

28. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

As I'm sure all of us readers are a little bummed, we totally know and understand why the bike purchase and slight slow down on the deadlines for the roadster. In the end, it will make a happier Nick and a better roadster. Keep it safe on the Duc' man and post pics of any mods you do to the bike (c'mon, you know you've got some ideas up your sleeve on how to personalize it haha)
    Chris

29. hisel76

hisel76

i hate to hear your slowing down but understand. i did the same thing by setting a deadline and it almost took all the fun out of it. it will at least give me give me some time to catch up hahaha

30. Hey Nick...Jimmy V used a 60s chevy pickup steering wheel on his bead roller....works a LOT smoother than the old hand crank for straighter beads but it's too skinny...hurts your hands after awhile If you're interested I'll donate an original model A steering wheel for your roller. These wheels have a nice, big fat ring to grab with your hands. It's yours if you want it. No comment on the bike. {remember Rob Lee's "adventure" on his bike?..almost killt him}