Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone in MA having trouble titling thier antique?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58fed, May 20, 2011.

1. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

A friend of mine just tried to title his 35 ford pick up, he had all the paper work including a cop verifying the numbers and running them, three trips to the registry and still couldn't ge the title.
    Is anyone else having this trouble with titling their antique in MA?
    Not fiberglass cars but, legitement cars?

Curious to hear whats going on.
    Also, who has a car they can't get a title for in MA but is trying to.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I thought everyone just got things registered in Maine over the phone then swapped things to the state you live in.

3. 32 hudson

32 hudson

We are talking about Massachusetts here not Maine. So 58fed what problems did your friend have ? What is the registery telling him? More info please to aleviate potentional problems for others going to the registery.

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Not any more.

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

What do you mean by "all the paperwork?"

6. I guess you never read his post properly then ?? :eek:

7. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

What was the problem? I hope it's not a pain in the rear, I need to title my v8 falcon in MA

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

You must be new here. Everything and anything the slightest bit out of the ordinary is a big pain. The robots:eek: at the counter are not programmed for anything but routine stuff.
    <br />
    <br />
    You will need proof of ownership from the last owner. A title or their old registration with a bill of sale.
    <br />
    <br />
    @ LIFESTYLZ - Mass & Maine are 2 different states. The registries operate in VERY different ways.

9. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

In MA, they want a previous title, or if you bought it from a state without titles, they want the last registration in the persons name that you bought it from with a bill of sale. The problem is when you have owned a vehicle for more than 20 years here in MA (or other states), that didn't require a title back then, or maybe you never had it registered, it was sitting on your property and you finally decided to do something with it, or sell it to someone who wants, They want you to provide proof of ownership, they want you to have a cop go look at the wehicle before its moved from the spot on the property where its been sitting, they wanted not only a bill of sale but a notorized letter from the seller/owner a history of how and why you owned the vehicle and never paid sales tax on it, and then they want the owner to go to court and have a judge rule that you own the vehicle and then, you can sell it legally. Oh and after that, when you get all that squared away, when you go to title it yourself, no matter the condition of the vehicle, or how much you paid for it, you pay the sales tax on a blanket valuation of the vehicle which they determine, not you.

10. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Guys this is only the start. In connecticut they are trying to up the value on all old vehicles (those that run with white antique plates from $500 to $2,000 per vehicle) In addition when I tried to unload my El Camino I had to wait an hour just to turn in the plates. Then my town assessor refused to take the car off the tax rolls even though I had the receipt from the DMV until I gave him a copy of the bill of sale. By the way these town assessors go to the same seminars together and spend a lot of time trying to derive new tax actions especially in this down economy BEWARE

11. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Example of the sales tax, a friend bought a 63 corvette, decent running condition, paid $30,000 for the vehicle, had the title, cancelled check etc... and they charged him sales tax on a valuation of $84,000. I have now heard of this for a few different guys. It really sucks now that you have paid sales tax on most of the parts to restore the vehicle, bringing the valuation of the vehicle up and then you have to pay sales tax when you title the vehicle on the higher value as well. This state sucks.

12. It's not called Taxachusetts for nothing.

13. familyman14

familyman14

Kid bought a 59 Fairlane from a guy in NH that bought it from a guy in Maine. Both States don't require titles. When he tried to get a title for it he couldn't because there wasn't any history of it being registered. Then the DMV tells him "oh , you are going to get fined for not paying the sales tax" so he says fine let me pay. RMV says you can't pay the sales tax without having a title..........

I was curious about all this so I made some calls and they told me that the car is basically useless in the State of Mass. WTF?!?!?!:confused:

He ended up paying some title company in Maine 500 bux to make a title and it took 6 weeks to get it.

14. familyman14

familyman14

BTW, I bought my Galaxie for $4000 and had to pay sales tax on $6000 which is low NADA value.

15. The defense rest's.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  16. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The truck in my avatar was bought by me in 1956. I ran it 'till 1963. It sat around since then. I went through none of what you describe except the VIN verification. What little paperwork I ever had was lost. I had a title in 2 weeks. I sent the papers to Boston. Did you deal with a local office?? The only cost was the title fee.

17. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Its funny you say that old buzzard, I have had different experiences myself, when did you go back to the registry to put it back on the road?

I just bought a 67 nova from NH and had the current reg. with a bill of sale and had no problem getting it titled. I had a Model T where I had no paper work except a Bill of sale, and had a cop verify the numbers, got my title no problem but that was in 1999.

I will say this, I was able to get my friends 35 pick up titled for him. If anyone else needs to get their ride titled, let me know, I can get it done for you. It kills me to see the problems this state is causing for guys with antiques.

And beware, when you go to title your car, they are changing the titles on antiques, if they are modified as "HOT RODS", street rods, kit cars etc.., they will be titled as reconstructed vehicles, and they are also trying to have cars that are already titled, change their titles if any mods have been done.

18. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

When I built and attempted to title my woodie I went through all the hoops the RMV asked. I made several trips (more than 5) each time being told the paper work I was told to get on my previous visit (inspections from police, letters from previous owners etc) was wrong. Finally, I got a title and bill of sale from Broadway Title company. I walked into the RMV, the guy says, "Ah, this is what I'm looking for." 2 minutes later I had my registration. I would suggest buying a title and bill of sale from a title company. It's what the RMV wants, and the price is, in my opinion, worth it. Good luck!

19. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I got the title about a year ago. It is not on the road yet. Are they going to want to change the title on this one?? It will look stock from the outside.

20. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

the problem with broadway is that theywant the vehicle to be stocker in oreder to titke it for you, they require a bunch of pics of the car and you have the $375 fee. the when get it here, you have to pay the MA titling fees plus sales tax. It does work though.
    29woodie, what did the MA reg. hit you for sales tax and when did you do this?

21. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

from what i'm reading it seems like you have to be at the right dmv at the right time to get a title for a car with no paperwork. this thread concerns me because i just purchased a car without a title. it had been in the family for 30+ years, and owned by a family dealership so they never registered it. they just slapped dealer plates on it and off they went. so it doesnt have ANY paperwork other than the bill of sale. i was wondering what kind of backflips i would have to do at the dmv to get a title in my name. i am hoping for the best

a buddy of mine purchased a car with no title and had no hassle getting a title for it, so hopefully i have no trouble either.

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ya...all this new shit is getting old!
    I got whacked sales tax for $27,500 on my roadster (highest value)
    couple weeks ago i get whacked for $6500 for my 54 chevy (lowest value)...
    So, I asked which is it? High or Low??
    "oh, its always been the lowest..."
    I asked if there was anything I could do about the gross overpayment...i bet you could guess the outcome of that.

Ive been parting off a couple of trucks I was given over the last few years. They could have been restored but with no paper work there was no way I was going to bother.

oh and since we are on the subject...just a heads up...if you want to use a Y.O.M. plate you need a notarized affadavit that says you didnt steal it from farmer Mcgee back in 1931, BUT, that plate only cost me $25 clams for the year!!

23. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I know they said they want people to change their titles if the vehicles have been modified however, I don't know how they are going to enforce this as they have no idea if you modified it or not. The letter did say that they wanted everyone with a modified antique to change their title and there would be no fee for the updated title. I don't trust this at all because they will probably have a new fee soon for modified vehicles, etc.. they are trying new ways to tax you.

24. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I had this same issue...They actually told me I could be arrested for trying to register a "stolen"(no paperwork) vehicle!
    I found a work receipt with a guys name on it in the glovebox, funny, that guy was "in the parking lot" and wrote me a bill of sale...!
    Next day had the car registered no problem...

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So, lets play, what if? Say i get in a front end collision with my roadster and decide not to bebuild it, tub is still fine with numbers and "modified" title.
    I sell the body and "modified" title to a restorer,,,hows that work for him?

I try to tell them as little as possible and hope for the best.

26. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Slick,
    I agree, I don't tell them anything. PLay dumb as much as possible. I'm not sure how all this is going to work, but, I saw the letter to the insurance companies that had the info on it about the way they want to have these cars titled.

27. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

My woodie is a stock car, so the hot rodded issue did not play a role there. I "bought" it from Broadway for $3500, so that's what the RMV used to calculate sales tax. I believe that their policies have changed since I used them. They require a lot more photos. I had to send them a side shot and one of the engine. Just as an aside, the state currently values it at $50.00 for excise tax purposes!

28. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

They won't go by what you bought it for anymore, they do the valuation. I believe Broadway had some issues with fiberglass cars and hot rods so they are trying to just do stock cars now. Thats all on their web site now.

29. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

This state sucks bigtime, Greed, coruption, etc. We might as well be part of California. My avatar address says it all.

30. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston