Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yet Another SBC Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DMC, May 19, 2011.

1. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Anybody got any idea what a engine block suffix stamped "HCH" or "HOH" may be? The block is suppose to be a 350 4 bolt main but I can't find any information to confirm. I'm waiting on the guy to send me the number on the bellhousing flange. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:
    DMC

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

www.chevymania.com

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="600"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">65</td><td align="center">327</td><td>Impala</td><td>250</td><td>L-30</td><td>Power glide</td><td>4-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">67</td><td align="center">327</td><td>Impala</td><td>275</td><td>L-30</td><td>Power glide</td><td>4-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">68</td><td align="center">327</td><td>Impala</td><td>275</td><td>L-30</td><td>Power glide</td><td>4-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">69</td><td align="center">350</td><td>Nova</td><td>250</td><td>L-65</td><td>Manual</td><td>2-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">69</td><td align="center">350</td><td>Chevelle</td><td>250</td><td>L-65</td><td>Manual</td><td>2-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HC</td><td align="center">69</td><td align="center">350</td><td>Camaro</td><td>250</td><td>L-65</td><td>Manual</td><td>2-Brl</td><td>Hyd Cam</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="600"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><td align="center">HCH</td><td align="center">66</td><td align="center">327</td><td>Impala</td><td>275</td><td>L-30</td><td>Power Glide</td><td>4-Brl</td><td>Holley</td></tr></tbody></table>

3. squirrel

squirrel

need more info....I'm guessing that 66 327 code is a typo on the web page.

4. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Thanks for the information. I knew the HAMB guys would come through. I also would like to know if the same blocks were used for 307's and 350's. I have access to a another 4 bolt block but the suffix suggests that it could be a 307 or a 350. The suffix on this bock is TJS in case someone has any additional information.
    DMC

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you're trying to find a 4 bolt block, you kinda have to pull the pan to make sure that's what it is. 307 and 350 used different castings. The very common 3970010 block was usually 4 bolt but not always. If you want to identify an engine completely, it's helpful to have 4 different number sequences: the partial VIN, the engine code, (both of these are stamped on the top front of the block), and the casting number and casting date code (these are cast on top of the bellhousing area). If you don't have at least two of these numbers you'll probably misidentify it.

6. Deuces

Deuces

7. bigdav160

bigdav160

No 307 or 327 will have factory four bolt mains.

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I suspect the OP is looking for a 4 bolt block, and he/she may be unsure of WHY.

What motor are you building that would require a 4 bolt block? Most street motors don't need a four bolt mains. Thoughts?

9. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Thanks again for the information. I am getting the stuff together to build my engine and a friend has a couple of 4 bolt blocks that he is not using and I can get them fairly cheap. I want to build a 383. He states that both are 350 blocks but as I gave the suffix in the first entry it does not seem to be a 350. It appears to be a 327. I have never used a 327 and did not think they came with 4 bolt mains. The TJS suffix block I feel pretty confident about it now that 307's did not come with 4 bolt mains. I just wanted to be sure before I take a block to the machine shop and spend any money only to find out it is not a 350.
    DMC

10. DMC, I dont know if your aware or not, but any good machine shop can install the center 4 bolt mains for you. How hot are you going to build this 383? Just saying a " 383 " still leaves a lot of unanswered questions as far as block strength and requirements. You might very well get away with a good set of ARP bolts and the 2 bolt mains. Give us more details of your plans, your budget, and we can help you build from there. TR

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Just measure the bore :) :)
    The 383 SBC requires a 4 inch bore to start with and then a 3.75 stroke crankshaft. I would be more concerned about core shift and such.

A 4 bolt main is just bragging rights mainly. In fact the vast majority of factory 400 SBC's were 2 bolt main blocks. :)

Randy