Register now to get rid of these ads!

flatty cam advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pearlbike1974, May 19, 2011.

1. pearlbike1974

pearlbike1974

ok so here it goes. the block is 30 over,port and releved,stainless valves,isky lifters,ross pistons,sharp heads and dual 94s. im very interested in putting a isky 400jr? now how will this run on the street? too much cam? lots of people tell me to run the max1,but the 400 jr just sounds so nasty !!!

2. jetmek

jetmek

go for it ive got one not much more than stock with 400jr cam doesnt make much power but sure sounds wicked!

3. pearlbike1974

pearlbike1974

your motors pretty much stock ? im looking for good torque on the bottom end. to many options when it comes to flathead cams!!!

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

MAX 1 for the street,....It pulls nice, and has good street manners. If it's overcammed, it's not as much fun to drive.
    4TTRUK

5. Flatman

Flatman

What he said!:D

Flatman

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

"Good torque on the bottom end" and aftermarket/reground cam are mutually exclusive terms. Any hi-po regrind is going to make your Flathead less comfortable to drive on the street because they ALL reduce low end torque. They make make more total torque but at some higher R.P.M. which is not where you drive the car. If all you want is a nasty sound, go to the Litterio L-100 (according to the old heads on the Ford Barn.) It seems to be the best "audio" with the least negative effect on drivability.

7. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I call a myth that a 400jr is a wild cam......

Only 258° duration.

A L100 has 270°
    A Potvin 3/8 and a Winfield Su1A 280°

A MAX 1 249°

So i think it will be great with a 400JR and a light flyhweel.

If you you have a heavy car go with a stock Merc cam

8. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if this is really true Max #1 is a better choice

9. 8flat

8flat

Stick with the Max1 if you want bottom end torque. My machinist talked me out of a bigger cam for that same reason, although I'm running the engine in a pickup that's obviously heavier than a roadster, so torque down low was a little more important.

I hear ya about the sound of a bigger cam though. But, I'm running the Max1 and it has a decent rumble to it, check out the link below:

10. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Go with the Isky "88", best of both worlds with nice sounding idle and "tons" of low-end torque with 224* @ .050" for a "heavier" ride!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Very recent stroker made 250+ Torque @ 2200!! Has a slightly "nasty" sound idling!