Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop Time: My 31 coupe gets a 5" hair cut! Updated.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks dude! I was gonna use the stock exhaust manifold, not header. I'm going to lob it off where it dumps around the cowl and run a V8 torque tube I got (big ol bastard) it has a lot of taper and is very wide at the end.

2. Kerry67

Kerry67

Very, Very nice.

3. Hey shooter, saw a car today , owner said it was chopped 5" . Saw a different car, owner said chopped 5" . And yours chopped 5" . Funny thing is they all look different heights finished, ie window openings.
    Did you ever get a chance to measure yours?
    Thanks

4. I did that on my roadster when it had the banger. Looked and sounded great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thats THE coolest thing about hotrods, they have a universal appeal, it's where everything started.

6. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Looks great. I went with a 6" in my 31PU but im only 5.7 :)

Attached Files:

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

Shooter, I think we have found you an new signature line "Ridin dirty one day at a time!"

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Doh! No, I haven't had a chance to measure yet... It's over at a club member's shop right now or else I'd just go measure it right now...

My chop was measured by laying out 5" worth of painters tape, and cutting on the outside of that line... So maybe 5 1/8" at most, and it was measured several times, it's 5".

Keep in mind too that it will vary from 28/29 and 30/31, because the earlier (28/29) years had larger windows, so 5" of chop looks like less than it would on a 30/31.

I'll try to remember to measure it when I'm over there, or when I bring it back to my house..

9. yea and a vicky is shorter yet all by itself . And I think different body styles within the 28-29 and 30-31 were different to.

I noticed your remarks in the traffic veiwer thread so im kinda curious to say the least.

10. tony31a

tony31a

If it's a convertable I see that dude all over. It used to have bullet holes all down the drivers side.

11. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Dig the 5" chop on an already solid model a.

12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I still haven't chopped mine yet, but eventually I will. I have the roof panels gutted from the inside of the car, but until I recover from my surgery there will be no chopping..... Dangit.
    Now that I scored that 21 stud, I guess I'll build that during my recovery so it's ready to drop in once I get well. Found out I'll be getting 3 months off of work paid leave. That kicks ass!
    Your car is pretty much exactly what I had planned for mine, good thing we don't live closer people would think I had a sweaty man crush on you or something! Haha, keep ridin' dirty man!

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    Cool! Do it up! Shit if you were closer I'd be over there helpin!

So, I'm getting lots of shit done on the coupe. Got it running tits, got my 40 ford wheel ready to go on, etc. Also got to tearing into the front end and one thing led to another...

Started out with "let's just freshen up the brakes, get some camber in it, fix the tie rod, etc." Now we're splitting the wishbones, drilling the axle, reversing the eyes on the spring, new shoes, wheel cylinders, lines, turning the drums, sandblasting and painting everything, etc. etc. It went from an afternoon job to a week job in about 15 minutes of pondering and a little peer pressure from the other club guys.. Fuckers corrupted me.

At least with splitting the bones I'll be ready to drop a flatty v8 in it, or maybe an old 283 or something once the banger blows up.

One things for sure though, this thing is gonna drive nice when I put it all back together. Thinking about an F1 box too. Why not, I've gone this far already....

HA!

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, that's how it starts!!! It's not my car so my opinion is worthless but I think a 283 would kill the overall "feel" of the car. Just my 2 cents.

15. OHhhh man hahaha should think winter project.
    Them why not projects never end.

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Jake,

This thing is turning out KILLER awesome! I'm sorry I missed seeing at the last local Maddison's H.A.M.B. "Meet-N-Greet" a few weeks ago, and still can't wait to see/ hear it in person.

How's the 94 working out?

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Good man! I haven't put it on yet, been getting sidetracked BIG time with making it run perfect first, so I'm not chasing/confusing problems when the element of a new carb gets thrown into the mix... Then the whole front end thing came up and I'm deep into that now... haha.

Also, I saw that you called. I haven't had a chance to talk to all the guys about the Bonneville trip just yet-Robbie is leaving out of town for a nostalgia drag event in Cali, we've been racing to get the car ready to go, and working on our own stuff here and there. Haven't had all the guys in one place long enough to talk to them about it. Once Robbie gets back and everything calms down, we'll be able to sit down and chat about it.

I'll get ahold of ya here shortly. I need to come grab those wheels anyway. I'm having a bunch of stuff blasted so I should throw them in the mix too.

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No doubt. Luckily I have no shortage of motivation where it's at right now. All the rest of the guys in the club want to see this thing done just as much as I do. It's pretty cool actually, to have 4 or 5 sets of hands on the car at a time, rather than 1!

Next week is going to be busy. We're going to be racing to get another guy's car done (Payaso on the HAMB) in time for Billetproof/Roundup, and my car done. He has a lot further to go than me (in theory) so most of the focus will be on his car. I still plan to have the front end back together and the exhaust done by this time next week.

(fingers crossed)

19. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Can't wait to see it done up, good on you man!

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Glad to hear your making progress! No worries, Things get busy this time of year....gimme a call when you get a chance!

...your wheels are safe with me :D

21. von birch

von birch

thats sick man...looks great

22. 6" is good :)

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Making a little progress. My plates came in for the wishbones, hopefully will get them on and the wishbones split tomorrow. Doing some experimenting with pulling leafs from the front spring, checking out the stance vs position of the shackles and trying to find a happy medium. It was raining like hell so I didn't feel like pulling it out for a side shot right then, but you can get an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. A Rodder

A Rodder

Well, it's been a week, is it done? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No, unfortunately I haven't touched it. Been dealing with some personal issues:(

I'm hoping to get back on it in the next few days. I need to have it ready to drive to the Roundup in a couple weeks. It's just hard to get motivated right now with all the shit going on. Soon I hope! Will post pics.

26. I haven't got back to you, sorry I should be able find some time soon to finish the cuts on the windows and stuff, I have been down with pneumonia for almost two weeks. I only worked for two hours today and had to quit lungs still feel like shit.

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No worries, just hit me up any time.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Looking very good, impressive work!

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Nice, I missed the update about the front end. I found a badass old chrome wishbone for mine, but later bought '40 front and rear axle assemblies so alas the chrome A wishbone won't work. I planned on keeping mechanical brakes, but with the V8, the 40 brakes will be a better choice.

Hope you get yours up and going for the roundup. I hate missing personal deadlines!

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Well it didn't make it to the roundup. I took the Newport instead because it was rainy and it seemed like more hassle than it was worth. I am taking it to Billetproof though-that's gonna be some SHIT!