Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Them would be killer wheel covers for sure

ARE THERE OTHER POINTS /STUDS THAT LOCATE THE COVERS ?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Wheelcovers--home stretch

I got both front wheels done today. The wheelcovers are finally in place. The rest of the day I ground tapers on the rear wheel retaining nuts and a similar, though reverse, taper in the retainers. This is so the nuts will clear the wheelcovers. Tomorrow maybe I can finish up the rear.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Man that cover looks beautiful on the wheel. Cant wait till they are all done.

4. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Just a thought...

Jeff

Attached Files:

5. ifn any marking are put on the caps its the direction of thread!

....... curved arrow off/ on with a like mark inside the hub end

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Rear Wheelcovers

The front wheels were easy compared with the rear. The rear axle has a nubbin that sticks out beyond the wheel surface. This means I had to relieve the pipe that will hold the knockoff threads. Also, the knockoff threads were small so I needed an intermediate pipe. You can see it much better in the pictures than I can explain it. The hard part was keeping everything within a few thousandths so it wouldn't wobble. I think it'll be okay. One more side to go, then it's on to the steering wheel--unless I get distracted by something else.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

Seagrave Hut

It just hit me! :) Must be getting dense.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. yonahrr

yonahrr

Nothing much done today except to make a start on the right rear by tapering wheel nuts and grinding out the retainers. Tomorrow, it's yard work so my next chance is Sunday. If I get the right rear done, I'll wheel the speedster outside for a picture with the new wheelcovers.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. nice level side view so we can photo shop please???

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the tiger hunting car is awesome , id love to drive that one , could use the small cannon on tailgaters and people that cut you off on the highway , the snake horn is pretty cool stuff to

12. tool box = drool box

13. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

There is a guy that has a 1938 Rolls Royce that he drives to the Local crusin He said that to have all the tools for the tray is damn near impossible to get. Guys that have dont give up. thanks for sharing such a uniquie car.

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Done!

Except of course for polishing and clear coating and dechroming the knock offs. But I can only stay on one segment so long before I go nuts. What's next? Steering wheel? Hood panels? Wood deck? I won't know until I walk into the shop tomorrow and the voices in my head tell me.

Jerry

Attached Files:

15. when the brakes get over heated will it smell like pizza?

liken the pics next time more better with clear mountain background :)

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

Stop, you're making me hungry!

Jerry

17. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

WOW, Looks great.

18. Frank

Frank

lol

19. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Mr. Seagraves would be proud.........

20. ccbb

ccbb

With talk of pizza, there's an obvious problem...

[​IMG]

...can't keep us away. (Caps look great!- without the pie!)

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  21. yonahrr

yonahrr

I wanted mushroom! And anchovies!

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

Catwalks

...or those wooden thingies at the bottom of the hood. The voices in my head were muted today but I did make out one of them muttering about finishing the frame covers and catwalks. The four bolts that hold the radiator support are going to double as the attachment point for the front fender bracket. Unfortunately I couldn't find some 1/4 steel to make the bracket out of so I moved on to the catwalks. When I got things roughed in I spent some time playing with the hood hold downs spacing. More tomorrow.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  23. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Looking at the color of the exhaust pipes I wonder if #3 and #4 cylinders are running rich or are not running at all.

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. All cylinders are running. The center cylinders running cooler may have to do with the single carb and the intake manifold layout. Things were pretty crude back then. Or, the whole engine may be running a bit lean. I have another jet I want to try. It's going to take a little fine tuning to sort everything out.

Jerry

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  25. Pharouh

Pharouh

That is just amazing. I'd love to see (and hear) that in person.
    Your idea of "didn't get much done today" would take me a week.:)

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Pedals

After driving the Seagrave I knew the pedals weren't right. They needed to move about 6" to the left. Using my favorite tool, the blue wrench, I went to work. An hour later, the pedals were where I wanted them but they were still too low. Many years ago, an old mechanic told me that to be a really good mechanic you had to be half butcher. So, I thought, if half butch is good then 3/4 is better. Now you know the secret of my success. And as you can see, there's plenty of butchery in my pedal job. But it'll work and that's the main thing. I'll pretty it up when I do the final teardown and assembly.

Jerry<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

27. butcher

i see texas chainsaw masscre chainsaw in the pics

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

My $50 Stihl that quit last Saturday at Grandma's house.

Jerry

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Didn't have much time to work. My son had a fever this morning and had to stay home. Probably from that rat they ate on the Boy Scout survival campout. I did finish up the pedals. Now I need to tweak the seat back by moving it back a few inches. You find out these things when you go on test drives. I wonder what rat pizza tastes like?

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011