Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Chevy Fleetline Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JMD82, Mar 12, 2011.

1. JMD82

JMD82

Here it is our first build thread for our 1950 Chevy Fleetline. We have had it now since Nov ’10 and have been deciding where to even start but things are coming together so why not start a build thread? Pics of when we first got it!

Attached Files:

2. JMD82

JMD82

I can say with much motivation from Robleticia (Rob) and Racrdad (Doug) we have had a successful weekend! Objectives for today…getting the 250 inline 6 at least fired, new trans tunnel/firewall and new motor mounts…All a success!! Thanks Rob and Doug for the help!! The weekend isn’t over! Tomorrow I head out to pick up a hood and hopefully more parts! :D

Attached Files:

3. robleticia

robleticia

Well its about time! Congrats on finaaly getting started. We had a great time and really look forward to helping again. Thanks for all the great food and drinks and let us know what's next on the agenda and we will be there!

4. Looks like your off to a good start!

5. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Further ahead than me.Keep diggin!

6. farmer12

farmer12

Looks like you guys are having fun, great project!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always liked the looks of the Fleetlines, good luck with the project. Why was a new tunnel needed?

8. JMD82

JMD82

Its got a 250 from a 75 pick up. Who ever had it before us hacked apart the firewall and tunnel to make it fit.

9. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Holy Hell there Batman does everybody in Texas own an early 50's Chevy??? and I want in the rotation dammit!!! Nice job and if you are interested I have the original 235 oil bath air cleaner that might fir on the car and give it a nice stocker look, let me know if you are interested!!

10. robleticia

robleticia

Dimebag~ we are waiting for you to make the move south! What are you waiting for??

The37Kid~ When Jason said they "hacked the firewall" it was an understatement! It looked like they cut it with a chain saw and patched it back with about 4 different types of metal and screws. The only reason they screwed it is because whom ever welded it obviously never touched a welding machine before.

All is better now, we have a new person handling all of our welding needs. Jason's wife Missy has stepped up to the plate to show the boys how it's done!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. robleticia

robleticia

I don't know who is in charge of this "build thread", but they are slacking in the picture department! There are no before shots? WTF? Here is a couple of the previous engine mounts, or lack of! Notice they are fastened to the frame with sheet metal screws!!!!:eek:

Attached Files:

12. JMD82

JMD82

Thanks Rob for pointing out that I haven't been taking the best pics to document my build! Now we know! We scored a great deal on Sunday! We found a hood and front apron both in way better condition the the ones we have!:eek:
    under first hood.jpg pos apron 2.jpg

The new hood is still two piece which we will weld up. As for the apron just some sanding and paint!
    new hood.jpg new hood and apron .jpg

Got to love progress!

13. robleticia

robleticia

I can't believe you removed that nastolgic Nascar front air dam off that car?? Don't you young kids care about the histoy of these old cars????

14. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looks like you have a great start. I wish my wife could weld, that's cool.

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

That a way to putr her to work.Mine wont even walk in the shop.She thinks she might get dirty.Her loss.Me and the kids have a ball.Mine 9 year old girl is wanting to learn how to weld and I have been letting her tack stuff fo me on the table.I cant keep her out of the shop.Go girl

16. sgnova72

sgnova72

Lookin good. Does the yard you got the apron from have anymore aprons. My car is missing it, thanks for any info.

17. JMD82

JMD82

Midwest Rodder- Thanks! Im still learning and having fun doing so!

DirtyEd- I wish I had someone to teach me this when I was younger! Your daughter rocks!

sgnova72- We got from an individual not a yard, it was on a '49, we got it just in time. The same day we picked it up he was moving to Tennessee, he said if we hadnt have come by when we did it would have been put out on the curb!!:eek:

18. marc33

marc33

Car looks like its coming along nicely. When its time to sell the 56 I will definitly be looking for a fleetline myself.

19. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Nice job JMD. Keep the updates, and pictures, coming!

Peter

20. sgnova72

sgnova72

Thanks JMD82, you definitely got a good score on those then. What are your plans for the project.

21. JMD82

JMD82

We are headed more towards a mild custom.. a about a 3-5 inch drop, french the headlights, do something other than stock tailights, possibly fender skirts, wife wants a chop but we will see how that goes!

Taking it day by day, paycheck by paycheck!!

22. sgnova72

sgnova72

Sounds cool. I could only wish my wife would be more into my hobbies.:eek: I can completely understand paycheck to paycheck.
    With rob and doug helping out I'm sure there will be lots of ideas flowing.

I am subscribed.

23. robleticia

robleticia

sgnova...Remind me again why we subscribed to this thread???:confused: WTF.....No progress in two months???? JASON????? You there???? Maybe he is working on painting that mini truck for Racrdad?:eek: This should bring the thread back to the top so maybe he will at least go out to the garage and wipe the dust off the old girl! (the car):D

24. Racrdad

Racrdad

Yeah, Robleticia gave up on the lambo doors for my ole skool nissan mini truck so I had to move it over to JMD82's house for some work. :rolleyes:

Seriously though.... Jason, you need to get out in the garage!!!! If you are already tired of that Fleetline you can always bring it my house and donate it to a good home. :D

25. robleticia

robleticia

Maybe we should move his car to the "Sitting and Rotting" thread?:eek:

26. Racrdad

Racrdad

OUCH! :eek:

27. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Subscribed. I have a 50 fleet myself and looking forward to the chop. You may already have enough info on the chop but I have saved two magazine articles if need any more info to reference. Let me know if you need them. Excellent progress!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

28. wow! welding up a split hood. "Back in the day" when the junkyards were awash with '50 Olds 88s we'd just throw the hood from one of them on a 50 Chevy. Had to do a little work on the front lip, but still easier than making a one piece out of a 2 piece. Looked great with the center peak too.

29. Nice build. I put a 250 in my 50 Sedan. PM me if you need any help. Todd

30. sgnova72

sgnova72

Yeah Rob two months is quite a while, but as you know I can't throw any stones.
    You and doug just need to pop over to his house and give him a kick in thaass.