Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone used this portable blaster??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, May 18, 2011.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

2. phat rat

phat rat

I imagine you'll get what you pay for. On the other hand it's only $20 lost if it doesn't do the job.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that was my thought, it's on sale for 50% off and I can get another 20% off the $20 so it will only actually cost me $16. I've used the little hand held canister type blasters in the past and those SUCK. This seems like it might be a little more capable than those.

I like to ask about harbor freight stuff because some is ok, although most is junk.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

performance will be based on your compressor output and dry abrasive. And how quick the tip wears out. Might get a job or two out of it.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

use a couple of their other blasters and have been very satisfied-for the money can not go wrong-they usually have some glass bead and fine sand For Sale-have found best deal on sand at local cement supply company

6. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I was thinking of using the "black diamond" stuff that tractor supply sells. 7.99 for a 50lb bag??

8. saints

saints

9. saints

saints

stuff is ruff you have to keep your gun moving evan if it doesnt get it all the first go around....and hold it at a angle mabye 45 degree I toasted a door staying on one spot to long

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

they also have a finer version, think that would be better??

the black diamond is 20-40 grit, they have a 30-60 grit that they say is for light duty blasting?? both are 7.99 for 50lbs

description from TSC web page:

Grit | Brand : Little Fury | Type : Fine Blend | Size : 50 lb. | Grit : 30-60 | Material : Coal Slag | Application : Minimum 1/8 in. Nozzle Required | Safety Feature : Less Than 1% Crystalline Free Silica
    With Little Fury Fine Blend (30-60) Blasting Grit you get the rip and grip power of ATI Black Diamond granules in a fine blend that's perfect for light applications.

• Light rust
    • Light mill scale
    • Light coatings
    • Produces slight profile
    • Used for a white blast

11. 28ModelA

28ModelA

I've got one, it doesn't work too bad, just need a compressor that can keep up wit the required output. It's great for spot blasting small areas, I'd imagine if your doing a whole car it would take a good while to complete. I've always used a fairly fine grit in it. If you do get it, buy a better hose than the one it comes with, it is terrible it dry rotted in a few weeks on mine.

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's really all I plan to do with it. I'm currently replacing the corners of my decklid and don't want to send the entire body out for blasting yet. Plus the tig welder can get a little finicky about lingering rust

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sand blasters of any kind work as well as your compressor/air supply. They act the same as cutting the end off the air hose and letting it rip as far as the compressor is concerned and often compressors can't keep up.

The Clarke blaster that Tractor supply has is also available from Summit for the same price. It's in Summit's Ebay store too 330528511137 I don't think you can buy fittings and make one for that.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got a few like that..they work on siphon, like most blast cabinets
    nice for small jobs, and light media..nothing coarse., and you will need to have a good air supply.

15. I just bought the same blaster for some light blasting that I need to do. Haven't taken it out of the box yet. The reviews were overall positive though.
    One thing I used to do when I was paid to blast everyday(ughhh!) was run all of my media through a screen on top of a funnel to make sure only the finest grit, and not crap get into your siphon bucket. This saves a lot of time unclogging the gun...

16. mj40's

mj40's

I have one that I got at Sears maybe 20 years ago. Never has failed me on the small parts. Still using the orginal tip too. HF can sell you extra tips if needed.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

very good advice

if you dont have one , go buy a screen that your media passes thru..but not the crap. that way you can reclaim some of the media, and re use it. without the crap in it that plugs your hose , nozzle or feed

18. F&J

F&J

I just tried a bag of TS "fine". It's kind of a smaller bag than when I buy sandblasting sand, but it did clean out the rust pits very good in that grit.

A hopper siphon blaster will use much more air and media, and take more time, but it will work.

19. Thanks for the tip on the TSC gun. My HF gun fell apart in my bead blasting cabinet due to a stripped set screw that was not installed correctly. I use the handheld guns for small parts, one for sand the other for baking soda.

20. mosimpson

mosimpson

You hit the nail right on the head. I had a similar HF sand blast unit. It was frustrating to use because my compressor couldn't supply enough CFM of air at the required pressure to just blast away. Nobody ever talks about the CFM required for sandblasting. It is critical!

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I'm probably on the low side for cfm. 12.8 cfm at 90 psi

22. budd

budd