Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. Lots of crybabies on this thread.

2. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I get a kick when some of the young guys say 'wow' thats a big '6'! when looking under the hood of my 39 Century.

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Old cars weigh a lot, common misconception. I've found more often than not a new car weighs a lot more on average than it's old car equivalent.

4. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

Why does everybody assume that old cars are for sale?

'I really like your _____. Is it for sale?'

'Thanks, no, I'm still having fun with this one.'

'Okay, if you ever want to sell it, let me know!'

Yeah, you'll be the first one I call....

Either that, or 'Must be hard to find parts for one of those', 'That thing looks thirsty', or 'That's a _______ (completely wrong make and model), I used to have one just like it!', and when you correct them, they tell you you are wrong.

5. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I drive my unrestored '36 Plymouth whenever it's dry, all year round. People invariably assume:
    1. It must have a 12 Volt electrical system- 6 volt systems can't start a car in the winter.
    2. Cars with ignition points can't be trusted to start or run.
    3. I'm only driving it the way it is because I haven't restored it yet.
    I'm always polite and, and tell them the truth if they will listen. Then, I close the door with a gentle push - it really does sound like the proverbial vault door clicking shut.

6. i REALLY hate hearing "how do you stop with drum brakes?" ...seriously? no one was suing Ford, GM, or Chrysler in the 50's cause their car wouldn't stop.....

oh, and the door slamming thing too...

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I know-what the hell!?

I was at the bar one night and had a few. When we left I asked my buddy (non car guy) if he wanted to drive my truck home since I shouldn't be driving. He says sure and we go to get in and he says "Oh.... it's a stick? Nah, I can't drive this." :eek: ooooooooooooK.. Guess we'll call a cab..

Who the hell can't drive a stick? What is the matter with people these days?

8. Amanda Suckerpunch

Amanda Suckerpunch

Quite frankly, as a female who can drive stick, it's EXTREMELY unattractive to meet a man who can't. Just my two cents.

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

A golf buddy of mine, who was raised in the confines of NYC, has a nice BMW. When he found out I was building a hot rod, he derisively asks me "What the hell are you going to do with that?" So I say to him...you don't know anything...I'll bet you don't even know the difference between a cactus & a BMW. He says, "Well, no I don't." I tell him "In a BMW, the pricks are on the inside."

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Lots of the same as a lot of people have already stated.

I've lost several windows to passenger door slamming.

I get the poor fuel milage thing all the time. where do you get parts, and so on.

Oh well, the price we pay to drive cool cars. Could be worse

11. mj40's

mj40's

I hate the guy that pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on the binders just because he thinks old cars will slow his travel time down. There all slow, right!

12. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Variation of the same joke:

Q - What's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?
    A - With the Porsche, the pricks are on the inside.

13. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Now that my truck is almost done everyone is asking my wife what are we going to do with it? She tells them "well, drive it of course"

14. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

I had an old 33 Ford 3 window I was chopping the top on........neighbor asked 'what are you doing to that volkswagen?'.

ARGH!

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

"Is that thing really safe to drive?"

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------
    And you calmly replied....????
    (It musta' been good! If it had been me,
    I might of have stopped working on the car
    and started chopping the neighbors top - his
    top, not the roof on his car!!! LOL )

Mart3406
    ======================

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I thought that also until I saw a old ('59?) chevy slashed by newer turdmobile on a utube flick.

18. rld14

rld14

Some of them are funny.. was just working on the Vauxhall earlier.. someone walks up.

"My dad had that EXACT SAME Car!"

Oh yeah? Where did ya grow up?

"Brooklyn"

Note: Cars like mine were never sold in the US... there's now 7 of 'em in America.

Had a few good ones with my old 356A... Guy walks up to the car at the gas station...

"Is that a Beetle?"

I Point at Porsche badge.

"Why did you put a Porsche badge on a Beetle?

So you could ask clever questions.

Had similar stuff with the Bonneville too...

"Can you drive that on the highway or do you have to take back roads?

Usually back roads, less chance of getting a ticket going 120 :D

"How on EARTH do you manage to buy parts for this thing?"

Usually use Mastercard, sometimes cash if I have it.

"Bonne... Ville... is that French?"

Yup!

19. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

Something specific to a 59 Chevy, is that the rear end of the car comes off of the ground at 100 MPH. Well, only if you have enough to drink....or smoke....or????[/QUOTE]
    had a cop tell me that one night .in his story it was 80 that they would lift off. told him that was funny and asked if the ass end was off the ground when i passed him cause i was going faster than that

20. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

It doesn't matter even if our old cars were unreliable because they don't have a fu**ing $500 ECU or a bunch of $50 fuel injectors or $60 coil-on-plugs or...

21. The worst misconception might be that if you have an old car, you're cool. T'ain't necessarily so, McGee. Sometimes you're just an asshole with an old car.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, we all know someone who fits that description.

22. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Alotta people fit that description:eek:,Try half the d-bags with old cars in Fresno:D

23. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

. Yes, Slamming the doors on my old cars pisses me off because they both have new latches and close very easily.

. Young'ans don't get too upset about the age and carbaration comment as I think it was intended for those that don't care about old cars and are not on the HAMB. Most of us members of the OFC ( old farts club ) love younger people that also love old cars.

. If your car is properly licensed and ready to roll and the HOA tells you not to park there you can tell them to " Go piss up a rope

Denise, Sweetie, You're not getting older, you're just getting better. But why did you lie to those people about not drinking? Last year at the Showdown you sure looked drunk from behind my eyes. Especially when I kept calling you Megan.

. Enjoy your rides, excuse the numnuts for their ignorance and lets try to encourage more young dudes and dudettes to have fun with us..........

24. cavemag

cavemag

i'am backwards. I still pump the gas in a vehicle with injection. Old habits die hard I guess.

25. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Go on wit yo bad self! :D

26. luvzccr

luvzccr

agree with this completley!!

3 years ago when i was still in high school, i drove my 58 fairlane to school every day, and i delt with these dumb classmates who drove hondas with terrible sounding mufflers, and a spoiler that served no purpose. one day after school i walk to my car, open the door, set my backpack down in the seat and i hear all these mouse traps go off. they set up traps inside my car. alot of kids thought my car was just a 'rat trap' they called it.

my best friends also said that my '58 was a tank, and that it could survive any car accident unscaved probably. they actually loved it when i drove them to school, they thought they were in an armored vehicle lol.

27. I remember once some woman in a new car pulling out to overtake me at the bottom of a long and steep hill. She didn´t gain an inch on my 'slow' old car all the way to the top, where she had to pull back in behind me.

28. when I park my old truck at work people assume its there for display and they sit on the fenders or jump on the running boards to take a picture.
    I hate that sh!t.
    They also tell me that they are restoring an old truck too,an 70's or 80's.
    For some reason everyone has or had a nova or has a friend ho has a nova.
    People see me tinkering with it and automatically assume that I am a mechanic or do body and paint for cheap.
    "Man that's a cool truck.when are you gonna paint it?
    "If you put primer on it It willl look better"
    them-when are you going to put rims on it???
    me-what the hell are those things with tires around them?
    them-I mean nice rims,chromed rims or 22's
    me-Do I have 30lbs of fake chains around my neck????
    Flocking people man.

29. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

It's a money pit.

No the Honda that I had for about 3 years as a daily driver was a money pit. Right now I have maybe 3 payments worth into my caddy. And plan to spend maybe 10-12 payments worth to finish it. And it will be infinitely more cool than a Honda.

30. I would have slashed their tires, no one should fuck with someones vehicle like that.