Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Garage is like a Human Bug Light!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled612, May 17, 2011.

1. When I work in the garage I like it to be well lit!
    My garage is only 12 x 26' however it hosts 9 flourescent shop lights, 2 100 watt light bulbs and 2 500 watt halogens. It is bright and no shadows!!!
    Well without doubt whether its the light or the activity in the garage, it seems to attract all walks of life as they introduce themselves walking cautiously up my driveway.
    I don't have a problem with their curiosity, I just find it amusing!
    Today was a family of three and later was a man drinking a stout and his dog Otis.
    Does anyone else experince such unknown visitations?

Attached Files:

2. pecker head

pecker head

Your the Cool kid on the block !

3. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I get random people stopping by when I`m working also. When I had my orange 55, it would stop traffic if it was in the driveway. Met a few cool people, sold a few parts this way.

4. I have a similar problem. Only one has actually come up my driveway. The rest stand at the road and watch. The one brave soul was an older gentleman that wanted to talk classic wagons as he saw my Fairlane wagon while driving by. He wasn't even from the neighborhood. Granted I am the only hot rodder in my neighborhood and they probably don't like me. All the load noises from the grinders, hammers, and the flashing bright light of a welder maybe scaring them. :)

5. cheveey57

cheveey57

Maybe if you got a dog, a big loud dog they wouldn't pry. Just never sure if they are really friendly or "casing the joint"....................

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

At night when I had to have the door open because I was running the car; maybe two people, all the rest were insects..June bugs [big suckers], at least ten different kinds of moths, mesquitos and other asundry bugs...I had an exhaust fan [fan blade from a 61' Pontiac driven at 2k by an electric motor] mounted in the rear window, be surprised at the airflow it made..I would hang a drop light [on, of course!] in front of the fan and shut all the other lights off..As the insects got close to the "final attraction"' the fan would suck them up and blow them out the window...I learned to duck behind something as sometimes the June Bugs [remember, big suckers!!!] would get wacked and richocet off the window frame back into the garage at a speed they couldn't even fall at and if you was in the way they hurt..

7. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I just get idiots asking if I want to sell my original owner t-bird for $6-7k.

8. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I get alot of gawkers, usually harmless old drunks. Had a garage sale the other day and half the people stopped to talk cars, said they could never find me home :cool:

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

How could you not wanna check that car out!!!! Cool!!!

10. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

I block my driveway with my wifes van ,so I can keep the garage doors open . It was much worse when I was making artglass in the back shop !

Attached Files:

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I dig the Eddie VanHalen Frankenstrat striped layout started on the willys. Nice work with the glass!

12. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

For sure the brightest guy on the block.:eek::eek::rolleyes:

13. dmw56

dmw56

I live on a dead end street second to the last house don't have a lot of traffic/strangers in the area. But most of the neighbors, UPS driver, meter reader, stop occasionally to see what I'm working on.

14. Willy301

Willy301

I had a guy claiming to be with the gas company, relighting pilot lights want to buy one of my O/T cars, but he was too nosey and I didn't need my pilot light lit so I ran him off... Occasionally a neighbor will drop in but really wish a few body repair guys would drop in for a beer or maybe a weeks worth of sanding and blocking :D 8)

15. G'day, You guys are lucky. The guy across the alley from me is working on Edsels. Like 3 of them. One of them is a rust bucket so there is grinding, pounding, and welding going on at all hours. What's a normal Chevy guy like me to do.

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

No i got a big wooden gate and fence. But when i used leave it open i got one or two then i kept the gate closed.

17. bunch of vampires

18. JohnT

JohnT

The other day I was in the garage dinkin around and I hear a loud buzzing...
    I figured it was a dragonfly buzzin around one of the ceiling florescent tubes....

Nope.

It was a Hummingbird!! :eek:

he flew around for a good 5 minutes before he found his way out.

the dog wanted to eat him...
    but my wife was thrilled to see one up close like that...
    very strange though... we later figured out he was probably attracted to the Red neon light around my corvette clock...

As far as people...
    I HATE it.
    I get far more done when I'm alone and people are not asking stupid questions or offering their opinions on what "they"would do.
    One particular guy would stop every time I had the garage door open...

I found myself leaving the door closed and hiding from him...

He finally stopped coming over cuz the dog was humping his leg too much... :D

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well, do ya? :rolleyes:

20. Had obtained a lot of cool cars because people knew I liked old cars so people offered me leads all the time!

They'd say I have an uncle with a car exactly like this and he wants to get rid of it fast or cheap... next thing I know I'd be hauling home a 64 Jag XKE even though it was supposed to be a 56 Chevy! (Exactly like mine! Hahaha!!)

I'm sorry... but I'd see a Willys buried under a stack of Toyota's and I would most likely be politely introducing myself to you so that I could bow at your Willys shrine!:D

21. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I keep my door closed. Figure they're looking at the tools more than the car and want to come back at midnight and break in.

22. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

This is why I have a high wooden fence and a very large dog! The scrap guys are the worst.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A 10 year old boy stopped by the otherday and asked if my car had hydraulics. I said yes, then asked him how he knew this. He said he had a video game that he customizes cars in. I asked why he didn`t think it had airbags. He shrugged his shoulders and said that car(Model A) wouldn`t have hydraulics on it. Then he got back on his bike and rode away.

24. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Where I used to live I had a dog stop in every night when I was working in the garage. He /she (not really sure and never bother to look) would come in the garage, look around, then lay down and watch me work. Later when he/she satisfied his doggy curiosity, he/she would leave. Never saw or met the owner and never knew which house the dog stayed at when he wasn't visiting me. I wonder what the dog thought when i moved away?

25. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

yep. I don't mind spending the time and having a chat but its always when im in the middle of something important.Or a beer

26. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I live in a condo complex and I like it when a neighbor stops by the garage to visit and talk cars. Sometimes I even get them to lend a hand.

27. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Yeah, that's my paranoia too. I wish I could believe in the good ol' "Leave it to Beaver" days, and wouldn't mind chattin' with the neighbors, but my house has been broken into before, and so has my car right in my driveway. So I keep it shut tight when I'm out there.

28. Abomb

Abomb

I get people driving around the block a few times, but not many stop overs....most people who don't know me must assume I'm an asshole, and I don't do much to dispell that.

There are times when I could use a helping hand, but I also don't want someone casing the place, I live across town from my workshop, my neighbor keeps an eye on the place, but random people don't need to know what's in there.....

29. get the same thing,not from my neigbors though -my house backs up to a public park, I get people stopping all the time