Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to San Fran next year - what to see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dannerr, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Wow! Thanx a lot for all the inputs!
    For now the following is planed:
    - Alcatraz (if ticket are available!)
    - Muir Red woods
    - a couple of nights on 824 Gilman Street
    - Vern Tardel (my day off!)
    - maybe a visit to Sacramento Vintage Ford (my day off!)
    - Thee Parkside
    - Mels drive-in
    ... and some other stuff, I can't remember for now!

Att. Rachelle: I will make sure to keep an eye on you! ;) Sounds great! :)

But if this little speedshop, specializing in 4-bangers, come to anyones minds, please let me know! :D

2. Also, there's a SoCal Speed Shop near Sacramento http://www.socalsac.com/ and YOU MUST check out Eddy's Deluxe http://www.eddys-deluxe.com/ in Sacramento and have your haircut by Rea. She is the Owner of Eddy's Deluxe Barber Shop as well as Owner/Creator of Cock Grease pomade http://cockgrease.com/.

For music events, check the Nor Cal Rockabilly Yahoo that I run. http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/NORCALROCKABILLY look in the calendar once you are about a month out from your trip. It will be jam packed with bay area rockabilly psychobilly & hot rod events.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. no55mad

no55mad

Just a drive through downtown is a treat - lots of strange creatures walking around and the old buildings are amazing. Watch out for the red light cameras though - the yellows are short and the tickets are in the $400 range.

4. truman3

truman3
    from TEXAS

Ryoko Sushi.

Cool. Dark. Rock and Roll. Great sushi. Crazy roll maybe? Spicy tuna, cucumber and peanut butter. Yes, peanut butter... It's like a party in your mouth. There is a grand piano in the middle of the small dining room with candles and a skull.... apparently Jimi used to hang out there. It's cool.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you got some pretty good tips, all I can add is don't bother with the Hooters restaurant up the hill from Fisherman's Wharf. The scenery is great but the food stinks.
    You might try a cruise up the coast towards Stinson (sp?) Beach and Point Reyes, its about an hour and a half or so if I remember correctly, some beautiful country up that way.

6. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

The Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel is very cool. It's been threatened the past few years but still hanging in there.

7. Thanx, guys! Your inputs are much appreciated! :-D

8. dannyego

dannyego

Yeah man, catch a punk show at the legendary gillman st. Definitely on my bucket list

9. dmw56

dmw56

10. Definitely!! :D

11. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I lived there for a couple of years...
    Check out shows at Bottom of the Hill and Thee Parkside (I'd suggest Annies but they closed)
    For food hit up Sam Wo(Chinese Resturant...Total hole but amazing food) in China Town, Pancho Villa Taqueria in Mission and Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness.
    Bars I went to were Hemlock (bar) on Polk and Luck 13 on Market (near Castro but not a gay bar)

12. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Rachelle, I bet Rea would kiss you if she saw this plug. :D Seriously though, if you're in Sacramento Rea's is well worth the visit. Awesome shop, awesome lady and awesome haircuts. Very good friend of mine...Kicks ass. There is also a So-Cal Speed shop here as well as the California Auto Museum, Train Museum and Sacramento Vintage Ford which is like a Museum itself.

13. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Smuggler's Cove is a must: smugglerscovesf.com

Since you're into 4 bangers, if you wanna come down to San Jose, we'll be happy to show you around..... and i'll be happy to let you take my winfield dressed banger for a drive. Drives like a hopped up tractor :)

Enjoy your trip...

-scott noteboom

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

Come out to one of our shows..

15. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

I rolled into Santa Rosa tonight with the family on vacation. I would love to go see Vern Tardel's place tomo but I wonder if anyone knows how open to visitors he is.
    Thanks,

Sean

16. Hopped up tractors are fun! :D Could be kuul!:cool:

17. kozik

kozik

the acadamy of art maintains about 30 amazing nad pristine vintage cars in an old showroom on Franklin street near Van Ness. do some window shopping.

you can also wander around the old caddilac dealership lobby on Vann ness. nothing in there but the space is insane and they have some pics of when it was full of old caddies.

18. rick finch

rick finch

....and whatever you do, don't be caught calling it San Fran, or Frisco! :)

19. M.Edell

M.Edell

Being a Bay Area native I take the City for granted.Im not fond of driving in the city, doing shows and dealing with the SFPD.But there are alot of great things to see in SF. The Academy of Sciences is real cool.

20. So, now it's getting close! :cool:
    My girlfriend will not be going anyway, so now I'm going alone, stopping at VLV, and aiming for the Booze, Broads & Hot Rods show the weekend after.
    But... In the hope of saving money (money saved means more money to buy 4-banger parts! :D), I'm now asking, if anyone could spare a lift from Vegas to the west coast, preferably the San Francisco area. A room would be nice too, if anyone can spare a bed for a couple of days.
    Nothing is settled, as I no longer have to worry about running around with my girlfriend, but I’m looking to visit H&H, Vern Tardel, Sacramento Vintage Ford, and hopefully some to run into some other 4-banger guys, while being over there.<O:p</O:p
    If you think, you could help a hot rodding novice :confused:, I’d be glad to hear from you! :)<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Thanks in advance! :cool:<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Kind regards and keep ‘em kruzin!<O:p</O:p
    Dannerr<O:p</O:p

21. Basicly, I'm gonna wing it, most of the time being there! :D

Kind regards, and keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

22. If you are going to Vegas, go to The Lone Star Roundup in Texas the following weekend!

Of the Booze, Broads & Hotrods if you are coming to San Francisco....either way you will have a blast!

23. sinticket

sinticket

Go to Betelnut Restaurant...its an AMAZING Fusion Restaurant, get reservations if you go! www.betelnutrestaurant.com/

Make sure if you go to the ROCK you get the tour that actually goes ON the island and not just around the island.

You must eat at IN n OUT...mandintory!

Pier 39 is great!

The Academy of Science is great

Go to Bigfoot Lodge...really cool bar!
    <ADDRESS class=adr>1750 Polk St
    (between Clay St & Washington St)
    San Francisco, CA 94109
    Neighborhood: Nob Hill</ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr> </ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr>

If you like sushi Sushi Rock is really good!</ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr><ADDRESS class=adr>1608 Polk St
    (between Sacramento St & Clay St)
    San Francisco, CA 94109
    Neighborhood: Nob Hill</ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr> </ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr>

Be sure to drive down Lombard Street while you are at it...it should be beautiful this time of year!</ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr> </ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr>

Hope you have a great time, I used to go out there several times a year with my ex, her best friend lives there... we always had a great time
    </ADDRESS></ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr> </ADDRESS><ADDRESS class=adr>
    </ADDRESS>

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  24. RSM

RSM

One of my favorite morning/afternoon walks for visitors:

Start at the Levi Strauss Museum at Levi's Plaza (between Sansome & Battery). It's a small, cool, free museum in the lobby of Levi's Headquarters. After about 30 minutes there you cross the street and walk up The Filbert Steps. Incredible view across the bay, wooden pathways with cottages on both sides (Italian immigrant dock workers built the neighborhood). When you get to the top you will see a beautiful Art Deco building with a Bogart cut-out in one of the apartment windows. 1360 Montgomery Street. Lauren Bacall hid Bogart here in the film 'Dark Passages'. Go up the hill a bit more and you are on the lawn behind Coit Tower. Go inside the lobby and check out the New Deal era murals (with some wonderful hidden and not so hidden messages). You don't really need to pay to go to the top unless it's a very clear day, and you really want to. Once you are done there, continue over the hill and down the backside. You'll end up in North Beach/Washington Square. Stop at Molinari's Deli on Columbus Ave and get some bread, cheese, salami, etc. Cross the street and sit on the steps of Sts. Peter and Paul Church (where Marilyn Monroe & Joe Dimaggio had their wedding photos taken after being married at City Hall) have a picnic & people watch.

After that, back on to Columbus, head south towards Broadway. City Lights Bookstore is about half a block down, the epicenter of Beat Poety/Literature. Above is Vesuvio's. Kerouac, Ginsberg, Snyder hangout. Stop in for a drink. Keep heading south and you will come to an incredible copper building (The Sentinel Building). It's Coppola's American Zoetrope headquarters, and he runs a cafe out of the lobby and sells his wine from the nearby napa vineyard.

Turn right and you are in the heart of Chinatown on Grant Avenue.

Knock yourself out, you've got a whole morning afternoon filled with local stuff, good exercise and things you can only see on foot for about $50-60.

25. 52pig

52pig

I may be able to help with sleeping arrangements, and if we meet in Vegas there may be a way for you to get back to the bay area rather easily. A few people I know are making the trip, just keep in touch.

Between those two shows and some time in between spent in 'Frisco you'll have your hands full. Good times, good times.

26. Damn, I've got to little time - and still misses the ability to be in two places at once!

Good point!!

Sounds kuul, will look at it, when I get there!

Thanks, 52, I'll get back to you on that!!

Enjoy the weekend, y'all!! :D

27. If you are planning on a trip out to Alcatraz (and you should) book ticket in advance as the company that runs them reduced the amount of tickets, and they sell out fast.

28. When we took the guys from Carlos and the Bandidos to Alcatraz after Booze Broads & Hot Rods 2 years ago, we had to book a month out because they do sell out... book now!

29. Jeez, now? I'm on it then! THANKS!!
    - Any links to good sites for boats going there?

Damn it, hate to have to plan stuff like this...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  30. ONLY buy from here....Its the official ticket outlet & you WILL get aboard a boat....

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

And do the audio tour