Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here is my ultimate? Modify the body on my 54 chevy????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cakes, May 16, 2011.

1. cakes

cakes

Ok well some of you know some of the story on my 54 chevy Gas class 210. It is an original gas class car from the 60's and 70's. It ran in C/gas. I really dont know much of the cars history other than that. Supposedly it was set up for a SBF of all things when it was found, it didnt have a running gear. All it had was the metric 10 bolt thats still in the car. and the 57 chev truck axle up front. The shop that resurrected the car slapped in the 454, raised the engine 5 inches up and 6 inches back. they also raised the front end 5 inches or so, and rebuilt the existing steel tilt front end. Oh, and they added that stupid ass moon tank on the front. its now removed.

So my question is do I drop the whole car down and radius the rear wells and re-engineer the front end using the straight axle or do I leave the sheet metal the way it is and just drop the front down?

Also any info and or pics from the cars past would be really amazing. It ran around charlotte back in the day.

the car in question
    [​IMG]

2. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

drop the front down until it's level

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Yeah the front end could come down some and possibly radius the rear wheel wells, just my opinion.

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

drop the front level and radius the rear wheel opening.
    Im no gasser guy but that is how i'd do it.

5. rodman41

rodman41
    from colorado

you got more ground clearance than my f350 4x4

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

radius rear to chrome strip, lower front level. just my $.02

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Toss a Dana 44 in front and a T-18 Spicer and go mudbogging....or...drop the front a bit, and yes - radius the rear wheel openings IF you're liking the gasser look.

8. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Has the car ever been down the drag strip or is it just another poser car claiming to be a 'gasser'?

It looks out of place that high up in the front, probably handles like shit at 30mph, and I don't even want to imagine what it would do at 130mph.

If it's not a real drag car, why try to make people think you have one? if that's the case, lower it down and drive it like a street car. If you're not willing to do that, then take it to the dragstrip and let it eat.

9. May actually drop the whole car a bit. Snag a tape and set your crank center between 18-24", 24 inches max.

I think that removing the moon tank was also a good idea.

10. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

That front shackle/spring mount looks pretty scary. If you want to keep the axle, find a better way to do it, and lower it some, F&R.

11. OK this sucks, I am normally the only one saying to lower it because it is just a mud bogger with slicks. No one is supposed to agree with me.

lift it a couple of inches more and put the widest slicks you can afford on the back. :rolleyes:

12. cakes

cakes

Yes it is a real drag car, read the OP. It was run in the C/Gas class back in the day

I do plan on keeping the axle. Yes, the front set up is crazy scary, I am aware.

NO

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Does any body read?:rolleyes: Make the rockers level, that's what I'm gonna do.

14. :D:D:D

That's my boy.

15. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

That thing looks like it is just about into street freak territory. Another vote to make it level.

16. cakes

cakes

Oh its there, thats why its going to be changed

17. cakes

cakes

any other opinions??

18. opinions huh?
    you asked for it.

your car looks silly with that stance.

its a pretty bitchin' vehicle, but that stance is just ridiculous.

get that front end down and get a set of tires that fit under the rear wheel house.

lemme show you what i'm talking about...

see how awesome it looks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Whoa that tri-5 looks the part! Love the pics too :)

20. Muttley

Muttley

This^^^^

21. And lose the 10 spokes - they are a highly visible modern part and don´t suit IMHO.
    (Although I hate them on anything).

22. agreed.

23. Algon

Algon

I read how you don't have much information but state it was a real C/Gas car so I'd try to save anything that looks to be a quality part of the original build. Drop it to a few inches above stock (just a touch higher than those 55's for me) and stuff the largest tire that fits under the back of it as is. Just clean it up. If there is no history then it's no real loss to make your own. Now say if you make major changes to it and a stack of slips, and photographs surface you will have in my book ruined another survivor.

24. I Drag

I Drag

Radius rears and drop rear-end definitely. Drop front end some probably.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

things change quite a bit from 60's to 70's. have you looked for old NHRA rules book for what limits on class it ran in were? Also, check old Drag Racing, Hot Rod magazines, etc for ideas. Since you say it is a Survivor then do not modify more than what you have to do to make safe to drive or exhibition race. run narrow rims/tires in rear (like on '55 posted) and lower whole car down a bit. get rid of front wheels and 454. run steelies and pumped 327 with injection or dual quads or whatever was correct for Class.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I agree radius the shit out of the openings and bring the front down.

27. bring the front down, looks like a cartoon up that high

28. jchum

jchum

defanitly drop and radius i love the gasers dont let her go to waist run the wheels of that shit!!

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Maybe this is something like you're looking for? Lowered it, less angle on front, radiused rear fenderwell, better front wheel, and tossed the Moon tank. Oh yeah, I also yanked the BBC and dropped in a 409.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. jchum

jchum

thats better