Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. they all do seem to think they are drag cars dont they? i noticed that to.

2. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

That too.

3. That's a big Volvo...

4. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

My reply about the code Nazi. It looks like something you said. I am just not computer savvy.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I gotta say people never say anything but nice about my old trucks,avatar Willys and mostly stock 50 Chevy pu. They ask about using modern fuel in old engines,how did I paint it to look old (cheap paint),nice to see an old truck doing work,blah blah.
    But passengers do tend to slam doors :D

6. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

That's a good one to think about when buying a new car...
    In 1939 the world's inhabitants was roughly 2.3 billion with a shared total of 47 million motor vehicles. Today's 6.3 billion human beings have around 775 million motor vehicles. Humans numbers increased less then three-fold. But the worlds car population grew a staggering 1750%.

I'm 21 and I can get my model a cold started no problem, and a friend with his Hyundai accent jokes how I probably can't get it to idle or how I'm going to kill the hole planet with this stock little banger. Then I tell him the MPG and he's like that almost as good as mine.

7. 53 hemi

53 hemi

One that I get alot, and mostly from car guys, is that I should convert to 12 volts. I have a " new " 6 volt system that will ( and has many times ) spin this motor over at -10 degrees any time you ask.

that and " nice whip bro! you needs some 22's and a system!"

8. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Yup, I get that one too withy my '41 Ford Fordor. i just shake my head... end of discussion.

9. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Along the same vein. I have a couple of thirties cars that a lot of people, including some socalled 'car people' call roadsters. One is a coupe, the other a sedan. :confused:

10. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

WHERES THE SEATBELTS?!?!?!?!?HOW DID THIS PASS INSPECTION IS IT REGISTERED YOU NEED SEATBELTS THAT NOT LEGAL.....every time someone gets in my car,and before i put the hood on everyone asked how i got the car inspected without a hood

11. yblock292

yblock292

I always like the , "why do you drive old cars?" 'cause i can't afford new ones!

12. Both my kids have carbrueted vehicles, and learned to drive with them. They are 16 and 20.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

What about people thinking if there is an "old car" sitting in the parking lot that it must be for their amusement, and they help themselves to touching it, and/or sit in it, etc. (I've had this happen)

Or sometimes when I have my cars out, people will stop and call my Newport a "low rider" and my coupe a "rat rod"

Fucking tards.

14. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yes. Haha

15. I hate that. When you ask them why they think you should change it they usually mumble something about safety. Since you can get 6v Halogen bulbs now, it´s totally irrelevant.

The one I get, since I have dual carbs fitted, is "Ooh, I bet that drinks the fuel!".
    Three points -
    1. Fuck off! - I´m not asking YOU to pay for it am I?
    2. I normally only drive the car on sunny weekends and evenings FOR FUN, so who gives a shit how much fuel it uses?
    3. It's a 30hp 1200. How much fuel could it possibly use??

I´ve come to the conclusion that some people just like to comment, so they can appear knowledgeable and/or try and get one over on you, since you have a nice car and they don´t. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, they are legendarily tight fisted fuckers around this part of the world.:D

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if its more then 20 years old its a classic...
    just cause the paints not shinny does not make it a rat rod
    my 53 ford is nothing like christine
    yes my 53 ford has a smaller carbon footprint than your prius...
    its costs alot to make it idle this rough.
    no the trans is not slipping(stall converter)
    no your dads second cousin twice removed best friends 75 cutless was nothing like it.
    "what year is it? " its 2011 where have you been???? oh you mean what year is the car!!!

17. cavemag

cavemag

I can. I could probably kick start a harley properly too.

18. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

no shit. they think any old vehicle is public domain. as if i want them pawing at it and letting there kids sit on it or whatever. assholes. i would like to find where they live and walk into their house. eat their food. drink their beer. piss on their couch.

19. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I love when people see my old Stude in front of them as they pull up to a stoplight and don't want to get stuck behind the "old car" so they switch lanes. When the light turns and they finally catch up I just look over and and smile.

20. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I bet parts are hard to find for that. Uhhhmmm no!
    That thing has to be a gas guzzler. Nope!
    Those drum brakes gotta be dangerous. Uhm, only as dangerous as the driver.
    I had one of them back in 58!!! No, you didn't, it's a 62.
    My favorite is from the ghetto trash:
    AWWW SHNAPS HOMEBOY! Whats that, a DeSoto, 57 Chevy?Shit looks good! I got some 22s for sale. Sure, if you say so.Stand here and wait for me to come back

21. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

At the petrol station filling up when some guy comes up and says ''that must cost you heaps to own and run''.I look at their new car and tell em to add up loan repayments insurance, servicing , devaluation and the fact that producing a new car creates more pollution than will ever come from it's exhaust . I figure i'm ahead on all counts ....

22. BHWINC

BHWINC
    from PA.

On one of those idiot Sunday morning shows,
    I Heard the host telling how hard it is to diagnose these old cars because of no computer innerface as he was working on a 62 or 63 Lincoln..

I am always amazed at how heavy people think the 50's cars are.

23. steve53

steve53

you can stop lookin. in my 20s, only owned one non carburated vehicle ever. i can drive most things that move. growing up on a farm and being in the service is pretty much how its done.

24. Muttley

Muttley

Since I drive "an old pile of crap" I dont care if you stick your greasy mits all over it and it wont matter to me if you scratch and/or dent it.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  25. Amanda Suckerpunch

Amanda Suckerpunch

I can. And I'm a GIRL. AND my truck has a choke, throttle, starter pedal, and she's manual.
    There are some of us out there who were taught right...

26. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm 17 and my Packard has the original Carter 2bbl (rebuilt), no choke, and three on the tree. It starts just fine when it wants to crank over and the shifting is as smooth as can be when it doesn't get jammed up.:rolleyes:

I guess I'm in that stereotype with ya! hahaha
    I get 6mpg on a good day (for comparison, the factory manual says it should get 8-10) and she brakes down constantly, or did, rather. Last weekend she threw a rod. Not through the block, luckily. I guess freeway speeds are a little much for this ol' gal!:D

My doors shut great tho. I always yell at people when I drive to lunch not to slam 'em. Some kid in auto shop already cracked the pass. front door glass.

Usually people under-guess mine... I always get "That thing must way a ton!" And I say, actually, it weighs three! The scale at the dump says around 6,400lbs with my toolbox and whatever random car parts are in my trunk, and like 5,900 with the trunk empty...

27. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Neighbors keep calling my 3 window a truck.... ?? are you blind?

Door slammers!!! makes me cringe..

Attached Files:

28. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Another thing that just pisses me off is all these hippies yelling at me that I'm ruining the environment. Where I live (Humboldt Co., CA) is just about the dirty hippie capitol of the world. When I drive by the Plaza in Arcata, where they all congregate like some kind pack of wild animals, I get all kinds of yells and boo's. Take a look at the cloud your 80s Mercedes Turbo Diesel wagon leaves behind it and then tell me I'm polluting, treehugger! And I'm not the one crapping in the bushes behind the post office!! Like thats good for the environment.

29. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

One misconception I find when owning a classic ride is that , it's part of a models prop to take pics of her fat ass in a stupid pose , and that a complete disregard for the paint, the interior and the OWNER is common place. I threatened one fat model that i would call greenpeace and they will be here to cart your fat ass off to seaworld

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

HA! No doubt. News flash, you're not a model-you just have a bunch of tattoos and stupid looking clothes.