Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

here's another one. enjoy! :D

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great shot! Wonderful restorations! [​IMG]

3. sramoa

sramoa

Who are these guys and when?A describe think Louie Nagy and Tony Willman.
    And one more question:Somebody know the Riverside Tire Spl. car history?

Attached Files:

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

*Great work and great show by Denny Jamison, Pat Kennedy and the HammerArt crew with the #34 Kennedy Tank Spl. Great new addition to the vintage scene.

*Great work and great show by Don Butler, Josh Shaw and the Zakira's crew with the #1 HCS Spl. and the #2 Perfect Circle Spl. There is nothing more impressive than a well done Miller.

Certainly, the payoff for all of the hard work on these cars was that they all ran their laps at INDY, the wide smiles on the faces of the owners and the great pix showing up on the net.

See you guys in Milwaukee, July 8th and 9th!!

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. Mac nailed it on the head.....the smiles on the owners and drivers were abundant. Laps and speeds were there to have a good time..... Good show ole boys!
    HG :cool:

6. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Josh & his Dad getting ready to roll 2 winners into the museum; great to finally meet the guy who started this 700-plus page expression of our collective madness. I do love this sport, and especially this place.

Attached Files:

7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Speaking of the Kennedy Tank Spl.:

Attached Files:

8. Here's the group from HammerArt that restored the Kennedy Tank car. Denny Jamison, Walt, Doug, Tevis, and Marc. If one is in Indy the month of May, one might consider dropping by to see the projects at HammerArt. The shop is always full. Super group of guys. Old Gasoline Alley just a little south if the Indy track. Photo by HG.
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

9. Buildy

Buildy

Great photo, Gene!

Man I wish I could have made it out to Indy this year.

10. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I knew both these cars were out there under restoration, and the finished product looks as good as they were when new. Has someone traced their history, did they race until well outdated, what were they like when first found befor the rebuilds?

12. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

sounds like another predjudiced race fan. Yeah he's really messed racing up. Leave this type of stuff to your political forums.
    Gary

13. rooman

rooman

Just check the history of the 500 and see how many different formats they have had over the years-change is a constant at the Speedway.

Roo

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

post 14006

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  15. cars5752

cars5752

Thought I would share a photo of an old sprinter I've been updating and refurbishing. Finally able to pull it outside yesterday to take a photo.

Attached Files:

16. racer5c

racer5c

17. Beautiful! It dosen't get better than that.

[​IMG]

18. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, cars 5752. Nnnniiiicccccceeeeeeee !!!!!!!!
    Any more photos?

19. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

The ex-Jim Clark Volstedt car came up in a discusion on slotblog.net...

Noted historian Phillipe de Lespinay (he restored the 1961 Indy Cooper Climax) claims the Clark/Vollstedt car is located in the York Motor Museum in Western Australia... painted in the 1968 Bryant livery that was driven by Arnie Knepper.

Phillipe suggests the #21 Vollstedt car that appeared at Indy last weekend may be the 1967 sister car to Clark's, driven in the 1967 Riverside race by George Follmer.

Just another 'controversy', I guess, as to who actually owns historical race cars...

LM

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Some additional info on this entry and a video of testing at TCR prior to the Indy event

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/05/13/1489355/a-dream-roars-to-life-tri-city.html

21. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

As someone who is too young to remember 99% of vintage open wheel racers, I find it extremely annoying when I see replicas that don't clearly state it or cars painted with incorrect livery. They might want to get that controversy straightened out and soon. And by "might" I mean they pretty much have a historical obligation to do so.

22. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

My bad, you're right, I got carried away. :confused:

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

May 16th 1955, Manny Ayulo dies of his injuries after punching the first turn wall in Pete Schmidts car during practice.

Attached Files:

• ma1.jpg
      ma1.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • ma2.jpg
      ma2.jpg
      File size:
      245.3 KB
      Views:
    • ma3.jpg
      ma3.jpg
      File size:
      68.9 KB
      Views:
    • ma4.jpg
      ma4.jpg
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
    • ma5.jpg
      ma5.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  24. easter

easter

Don't worry about it Butch - it's not their thread anyway. Open Wheelers tend to express themselves from time to time. Anybody that worked with Frank Burriss and the Dill's Duece is OK with me.

25. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, A couple drivers. Skin to the wind! :)

Attached Files:

26. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Went to the Estrella warbirds and Woodland open house and car show this last weekend. I took the Rasmussen roadster. Woodland has filled up his second building with some great cars and displays. My mural was hanging with all the other displays and photos.

Attached Files:

27. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For Larrymatt,
    Greg in Australia, the Vollstedt that was in the York museum is now owned by me in Melborne , about 4000 miles to the East.
    Quick scenario:
    Rolla Vollstedt built two cars for Indy in 1967
    Call them say Chassis "A" and Chassis "B"
    "A" was finished first , numbered #21 and assigned driver Cale Yarborough who duly ran it up for qualifying.
    Cale crashed "A" sufficiently badly that it could not be repaired in time
    Chassis "B" which was to be numbered #17 was quickly finished , fitted with "A"'s engine and qualified by Cale and ran strong until it hit an errant wheel from another car on ,I think, lap 142 which put it out.
    SO , "B" remained numbered as #21 and "A" now resumed #17 and they stayed like that for the rest of their competition history with Rolla until "A" was sold to Art Sugai
    Rolla retained "B" as having the history of Jimmy Clark doing a few laps in it at Riverside before he tagged a valve, and "A" , which George Follmer drove to 6th ,I think , in the same race went on to be Dick Simon's car and was variously fitted with a turbo engine, square nosed body work ,and maybe a chev, but was cobbled up to be #21 to sell it for more money (what's new!!)
    The owner of "B", Michael Mc Kinney of Washington state ,who now owns "B" and the consequent history of it being the "Jim Clark" car sorted the whole history out and both of us , as the current owners, are happy with the historic status of each car.
    Both were numbered #21 at various times ,both had the same livery at those same various times, and both were driven by quite a few drivers,
    Neither of us has got around to publishing this because Michael has been flat out on getting "B" ready for Indy and I have been on the #37 Curtis as a priority.
    As an aside , I would think that Rolla would have had Jim Clark drive both cars in testing(he was the world champion at the time)and then make a choice as t which one he favoured.
    If Clark history adds value ,then more power to Michael , me I am just happy to have the "A" car and Cale Yarborough and George Follmer will do me just fine as drivers.
    Cheers Greg

28. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

trentesept-Thanks so much for coming here and giving us an explanation!

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

Steve: can you enlighten us about the #11 sprint roadster??? I love sprint roadsters!!! John S.;):D:)

30. racer5c

racer5c

behind the yellow and black #10 is Alex Morales Tamale wagone WITH THE DOHC MOSER HEADS 4 valves per cylinder, pent-roof. Gilmer belt driven off the crank. !! one cool car!!

http://awholenewthing.com/HR1wp.pdf

Last edited: May 16, 2011