Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surfboard for my wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 71buickfreak, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick finch

rick finch

2. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

All the "culture" drama aside, NICE WORK!!! :cool:

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I did forget to say that, too!

4. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I thought.. damn.. where did he find a surf board in Oklahoma?
    It took me forever to find one in north TX. I found a vintage 50's
    board in an antique shop, but can't bring myself to paint on it.
    Mine was just for my son's room, and we don't surf either.. The
    board looks good. Someone call Billy Gibbons and tell him that he is a
    poser for having one on his truck.. ;)

Attached Files:

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Tell you what, a decent old skool toboggan is hard to find. Unless you wanna look like a total poser(hoser?) and go with a billet toboggan...

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

so lemme see if I have this straight. A surfboard in the midwest is "freedom of expression" but a toboggan in AZ isnt? Or is it that toboggans are not considered trad?

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now THATS Trad!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or what a hodad is, for that matter...Seriously funny shit.

9. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

I suppose the surf thing in the states was the same as in Australia. Surfers bought old cheap wagons or big sedans because they were cheap were good to sleep in fit heaps of people for surf trips and were cheap to keep running. Like most other looks it wasn't done to be cool or stylish just out of a need for practical transport.Much like a sign written farm truck.it's a good look when done right but looks pretty corny with modern racks,boards or new repro surf stickers. much like the difference between fake patina and real wear.if you're going to go with a style study it closely and try to get it right. Use all the right period stuff and use some restraint

10. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

My patina came from years of trying to cover up rust spots that were bleeding through
    the red-oxide primer. And then trying to cover it up with semi gloss black spray paint,
    while getting laughed at in the early 90's for doing it. Now, folks are getting into mags
    sporting spray can paint jobs.. Geesh.. and to think, I was just broke and couldn't
    afford a real paint job... Now, my son doesn't want me to touch it, because it's
    cool to sport 6 different colors. I was ahead of my time..

11. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

A 49 Chevy hood tied to your back bumper for a sled in the Midwest is "traditional"............. Suicidal and a waste of sheet metal but "traditional". ;)

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry man, WAAAAY ahead of you. My V-8 pinto had a flat black rattle-can paint job in the late 70s. Back then, people just thought it was a roach. They were right...

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That was trad around here too. Bullnose Ford PU hood was more popular though...

14. beauishere

beauishere

Until he gets that board wet, he's a poser. It's like putting a fake blower on your engine. Lots of goobs do. And to all you defenders... he's the one that asked what we think.

Oh, and all real surfers didn't hate the Beach Boys.

15. warren1328

warren1328

Been surfing for about 10 years, have been putting my 8'2" board inside my Falcon wagon(s) over all that time. Will fold down the back seat & hang it out the tailgate window if I have someone in the front pass seat & can't have the nose sitting on the seat back. Since I got my latest wagon finished, have been freaking out about salt-water & sand, and finding it a pain to remove the baby seat & lower the rear seat since our little bloke came along.
    So.........I'm building a sedan delivery to fix both problems, and just this weekend picked up a new 9'1" longboard to use as a carrot to get the thing finished!
    Have missed a few really nice days recently to get some sanding & painting done on the van.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe for you, but not for me. You may call them traditional hot rods, I just call them hot rods. I have been building them all of my life, and am descendent from a family line that has been building hot rods since the '31 Model A my Grandfather purchased new, in '31 (and we still have it).

This IS my culture. I am not stealing or borrowing anything from anyone.

I welcome anyone who wants to own and drive a hot rod to the pass-time, just as I welcome anyone who wants to own and ride a surf board to the sport.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  17. flatford39

flatford39

I would think driving around Oklahoma with a surf board on your roof would look a little silly. But to each his own.

18. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Look, I drive Buicks; I think that right there says I tend to go against the grain as it is. The board looks cool, that was the point, and I just thought I would share. Thanks to all of the folks out there that expressed their opinion on the artwork. This board is busted up inside (seperated foam, it was a rental), the shop was going to toss it, I chose to save it and put it good use as recycled artwork.

As for those that think it will look silly driving to walmart with a surfboard on the roof in Oklahoma- sure, it might. Fact is, the board is art and it will really only be with the car for the occasional cruise night and car show. Others might say that a 20-foot wagon with woodgrain and twin turbos is silly, but then I really don't care.

Buttered Toast is not a "surf wagon", it is MY wagon.

19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

now THAT'S ghey!

20. I've surfed for 45 years, take that for what it's worth.

Hang the board in your living room, it's very nice but doesn't help the look of your wagon, which I like. A longboard maybe but the purist in me says "ouch!".

I don't even have racks on my wagon. I keep my board in a board bag inside my car. I don't care if anyone sees my board or not, it's for my surfing, not my posturing.

I've got 8 boards in my living room, all unridden, all balsa, so yes, surfboards can be art.

Sorry for the poor quality pics, taking pictures of my ride are not high on my priority list.

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. badshifter

badshifter

You clearly have no business asking for a guide to follow. You can't even join the HAMB and post an intro, as required. So, you did that wrong. And a surfboard on the roof is great, if you are on your way to or from the beach. Other than that? Desperate for attention.

22. Does sidewalk surfing count ? I have my Arbor longboard skateboard in the back of my Nomad . Oh man ! HODAD !!

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Considering all the other bullshit on the road that Im subjected to on a daily basis Id' be happy to see your wagon, surfboard and all!

24. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Lone Star- Thanks!

25. Here's my deal...I have 2 surfboards and live in North Alabama. I have a 6' Islander I bought in 83 and (kinda) learned to surf Cocoa Beach when I was there for 6 weeks. In 05, I bought an 8'6" Bruce Jones board mainly to put on the roof of my wife's 62 Falcon Squire (she wanted a "surf wagon"). Me and my kids take both boards to the Gulf Coast 2-3 times a year and attempt to "surf". Most folks dont even think you can surf the gulf, but last July there were 5' to 7' waves on the Emerald Coast!! Do I call myself a surfer....hell no!! I have also been skateboarding since I was 8 or 9 years old, now I have several longboards, my son rides all the time, I ride when the mood hits me. Do I consider myself a skater....no! I have been messing around with cars since about 1980 when I turned 15 and it is rare a day goes by I dont work on one of my cars or somethng hot rod related...do I call myself a car guy...your damn right I do !!!! My point being, imo...you are not a poser unless you call yourself something your not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  26. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Glad to see that you are one of the "originals" and still at it. Of course some of us will have no choice but to "copy" the culture. Something about being born 30 years too late. Of course I guess this is better than not getting involved at all. My family has also been into "rods" since before I was born which puts us at 40 plus years and running. I guess my whole point is, this wagon running a surfboard is no more "poser" than a guy running old pie crust slicks and not drag racing. (Of course I am sure everyone that runs the slicks have to because they race.)

27. Larry T

Larry T

I'll agree, but I'm not gonna run pie crusts on the street (or strip, for that matter) either.
    Larry T

28. dmikulec

dmikulec

Cool wagon, cool board.

To each his own I say. If you're having fun, than you're doing it right, regardless of other's opinions. It's your car, not theirs. :cool:

There's a 55 or 56 Nomad with a board on the roof that I pass every day during my communte in rural Kentucky. Been there all winter. Gotta stop and take a pic of it on the way home tonight. :D

29. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I looked for a long board, but couldn't find one that wasn't new. I would not want to take a perfectly good board, airbrush it and then let it sit in my living room, never to see the ocean, that is akin to buying a brand new car and putting it in a vault. My wagon doesn't even have a roof rack, it's not going on the car, but when I do eventually show the car, it will be put on display.

I have to say, it never fails to surprise me how many people on this board get their panties in a twist over something that has no effect on them whatsoever. Who cares if some guy in a land-locked state puts a board on his roof or bolts a billet knob on his dash. It is that person's car, not yours. Considering that hot rods (especially the "traditional" rods) were originally counter culture to the mainstream, so many of the posters on this board seem to have their thumbs shoved so far up their asses that they have forgotten what rodding is all about.

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

WTF? "Who cares if some guy in a land-locked state puts a board on his roof...". Then why in the hell did you ask what we think in your original post? You can't have it both ways....if you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask others to chime in. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.