Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1959 Ford F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53olds, Mar 19, 2010.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

FYI.... Jersey cows are light brown

Its Holstein thats b/w

2. Well I have the volare rear end with driveshaft...probably will be good enough
    It's not black and white anymore :D

Got a set of 92 vic wheels today for an early birthday present.

[​IMG]

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found this thread. Looks like you're learning alot already. The "92 vic", as in 1992 Ford Victoria? How well do the wheels fit over the calipers? The reason I ask is I recently bought a project 1951 F1 that has the Cordoba suspension already in it. I'd like to convert to steel wheels but don't know what will fit over the calipers.

4. Yes Victoria, and yeah that was a problem I had they fit good.

5. 510madmav

510madmav

Cool ! Nice work.. Any pictures of it on the ground?

6. Not yet...gotta get tires mounted

7. Well, hit a slight snag. the wheels have same bolt pattern but the center hole doesn't clear the center hub! gonna try and plasma cut it bigger....

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That could be dangerous as cutting the wheel would alter the structural integrity. Better and safer to get the right wheels.

9. Yeah I just had a conversation with about 6 people on facebook about that....ugh!

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was going to go look for some wheels from a '92 Crown Vic but got busy with the truck today. I'm glad I didn't go find any! Oh well, back to the search. If I find out what works before you do I'll post that info.
    By the way, its good to see a young fella like yourself into these old trucks. My stepson just likes those annoying Tuners.

11. haha yeah I know as soon as I found out they didn't fit I thought of you! and okay kool. Keep tryin with the stepson.

12. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

Jon look for a dodge diplomat Police car in the junk yards it will have wider wheels on it and should fit your hubs.

Rick

13. smarg

smarg

How much material needs taken off the wheels?

14. There is like a 0.0035'' difference between the wheels center hub and the hubs themselves..We were talking of taking the hubs to the machine shop and turning them on a lathe down..

15. smarg

smarg

Thats what I was gonna say, have them turned down its pretty common.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  16. FATAL157!

FATAL157!
    from carson Ca

great job on all the work your doing wish i had the money to get a volare clip on mine check out my truck :)

17. papaford60

papaford60
    from illinois

Hey nice old ford, check out the 57-60 f-100 club on face book
    [email protected] lots of stuff there papa

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great buy on that truck and cool project. Keep it up!

19. Thanks Fellas, I am one of the admins on the facebook page. I am still trying to figure out the wheel situation.

20. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

First, I'd like to say I'm enjoying watching the progress on your truck.

Secondly, in regard to your wheel problem. 0.0035" is nothing and it should be super easy for any machinist to either turn your hubs or bore out the center of your wheels.

21. Yeah but we found out there is an extra 1/4 inch that steps up...like a lip..will have to take a pic and show what I mean sometime.

22. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Any updates? What did you end up doing to solve the wheel interference problem?

23. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

You can't go wrong with a '57 - '60 Effie. I miss mine. It's in Mansfield, OH now, and comes to the Goodguys here every summer.
    I started up a '57 - '60 Ford truck registry a few years ago, and it was booming, but I had no help from other owners for pics, literature, stories, etc. So....it's still out there.

24. Well Keeth, turned the hubs on a lathe and now they fit! also Monday I am buying a set of 205X75X15 whitewalls...radials..brand new:D

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

How much did he have to turn them?

26. Will have to wait for him to chime in as I dunno.

27. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I only had to turn them down about .018"

28. So after a couple months of no work done to it. We started on it again. Dissasembled the front clip, boxed the frame and ppainted up, bolted newly painted steelies on with brand new 205X75 whitewalls which I love by the way...started touching up the interior...it's getting there. also I got a job/apprenticeship at a local hot rod shop..working for my truck paint job and the apprenticeship project is another 59 F100 longbed on 67(?) twin I-beam suspension so if anyone is interested in that I'll post some pics of it later.
    Billetproof logo
    [​IMG]
    Reproduction glove box from Graffiti Alley
    [​IMG]
    boxed frame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    drivers side door panel
    [​IMG]
    new wheels and tires
    [​IMG]
    mounted up
    [​IMG]
    put it back on all fours
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wicked stance in front..after putting engine in and ratcheting it back up it shall be around this height...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AANNnnnnnd! a very happy me!
    [​IMG]

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool! Good to see you're still making progress. Congrats on the job too. Thats about as close to a dream job as I can think of.

30. A Rodder

A Rodder

Jon its looking real good. You lucked out having the nicest guy I know lend a hand with this project. Have you thought about shaving the front frame horns and filling the. Valance or do you have a good bumper?